cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rand McNally 5510 / 7710 External Antenna

JohnQ
Explorer
Explorer
I have a RVND 7710 in the coach & like it so well that I bought it's smaller brother, the RVND 5510 for the Ford Explorer Toad. Have NOT been able to lock onto any GPS satellites & believe the problem is the Metallic black dots embedded in the windshield. I see that both units have external GPS antenna ports. Does anyone know what GPS external antennas are compatible? And what is the correct external antenna connector it is??? I think it is a MMCX? Male or female???? Anyone have & use an external antenna, what's the Make & model, and where did you get it??? Rand McNally Website/Store is totally useless.
1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040 Cat 300 &
2002 Jetti TDI & 2004 Ford Explorer Limited V8 Toads
7 REPLIES 7

JohnQ
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the 5510 arrived yesterday. Got it out of the shipping box (and in my living room), powered it up, and almost immediately it acquired the necessary satellites for GPS positioning (WOW). I am a Happy Camper, again 3 cheers for Rand McNally.

JohnQ
Explorer
Explorer
Got ahold of Rand and they told me to mail it in (RMA Process). Took a week + of bad weather back east to get to their RMA facility in Richmond, KY. Within a week a replacement unit is shipping back to me. Three cheers for Rand.

JohnQ
Explorer
Explorer
After an exasperating phone call to Rand McNally, the so-called "Technical Expert" there suggested a Company call Diesel Boss (Trucker Site) which I Did & ordered the correct antenna (quick & easy)!! - http://www.dieselboss.com/mount_for_gps.htm?token=EC-04M838909V399823X First one on the page for $21.95 + couple of bucks shipping.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
The GPS antennas I have looked at (both Marine and Automotive) where MMCX male, but does Rand follow the standard ??? I dono

Like you I couldn't find a THING from Rand, even the manual doesn't help.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
eaglelover wrote:
JohnQ: Check out this link on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/DEI-Sirius-Satellite-Antenna-SSP1460/dp/B000XB5D4O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1387765243&sr=8-5&keywords=sirius+satellite+antenna

Frank

Em, I don't think that is a GPS antenna, since it says it's a Sirius antenna (Sirius is NOT GPS)
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

eaglelover
Explorer
Explorer
JohnQ: Check out this link on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/DEI-Sirius-Satellite-Antenna-SSP1460/dp/B000XB5D4O/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1387765243&sr=8-5&keywords=sirius+satellite+antenna

Frank

eaglelover
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried using the unit outside of the truck? That will tell if the windshield is the problem.
All the satellite antennas I have seen have the same type connector. I have a satellite radio and a German hand held GPS and the plugs are the same. It is a very small round receptacle with a smaller round connector in the center with a pin hole in it. The Verizon store near me in NY has satellite radios and accessories. I would take the unit to a place that sells satellite radios or GPS units and see if they match up. Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas; Frank