cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

removing cookies from computer running windows

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
what is a good/cheap program to download to remove cookies?
thanks,
bumpy
18 REPLIES 18

BTW, I've been a long time user of CCleaner free. Pretty much from the earliest versions. It's been a useful app.

I was not effected by the recent CCleaner versions containing malware. Avast, who now owns CCleaner, suggests that installing the latest update removes malware from earlier version. However, some security sites on the Net warn that it doesn't remove all traces of the malware?

The free version of Malwarebytes appears to detect the presence of CCleaner malware. However, I would suggest manually going into the registry, and deleting the malware key entries if they exist. There are several reputable sites on the Net that outline the process.

steveh27 wrote:
I use the windows about once a month: click on tools, then internet options, then delete and check the appropriate boxes.

Though this only works in IE. The path is different for every browser. Using the keyboard commands mentioned will take you directly to the cache dialog box in all popular browsers on PC, MAC, and Linux.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I use Internet Explorer and use the windows about once a month: click on tools, then internet options, then delete and check the appropriate boxes.

I also don't allow all cookies by doing this: click on tools, internet options, then the privacy tab, then advanced settings and check these boxes: for First Party cookies = prompt, for third party cookies = block. You will be prompted for first party cookies and can choose to accept or block. You will need to accept all for sites you must register for such as rv.net.

If you just need to clear out traditional browser cookies on occasion, including cache or history, a simple keyboard command will take you to your browser's cache/cookies dialog box: Hold down SHFT+CTL+DELETE keys on PC. COMMAND+SHFT+DELETE keys on MAC.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cookies won't slow down your computer, at least not mine. Don't know about Apple stuff.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Apple computers have a built in app to remove cookies(snap shots) which can slow down your computer.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Glary utilitys and superantispyware is all you need.. All free version..

All I use...Very thourough..

Run the super ASW and youll see the loads of tracking cookies on your computer...

http://www.glarysoft.com/products/

http://superantispyware.com/

I stopped using cc cleaner way back in XP days....
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
X2 on CCleaner. Windows does have a cookie removal program I believe. I use CCleaner, it's more through.

do some research on CCCleaner. i seem to recall seeing news that one of their download files was corrupted with malware.

this link will show you the location of the cookie files on win 7/8/10
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
One reason to use CCleaner is because it is much quicker to use it than to delete individual cookies as done with some browsers. And I believe it will remember which cookies to save too.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
that showed for version 5.33. the current download is 5.35 so perhaps??
I'll soon find out
bumpy

WHy take the chance when you already probably have one built in the browser
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that showed for version 5.33. the current download is 5.35 so perhaps??
I'll soon find out
bumpy

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful with CCleaner. Google search shows it to have malware embedded. Installs a back door for hackers. Read here before installing.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
What browser?
Most browsers have a history removal tools
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind