cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Samsung S-7 - Windows 10 Data Transfer (music)

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Again I am reaching out the the experts on RV.NET for assistance. I am trying to transfer some music files (MP3's) from my Windows 10 PC into my Samsung S-7 phone using the USB cable. I know I can send each song as an email attachment to the phone email program and then download the attachment but this is time consuming. I also know that it can be done using Bluetooth between the WIN 10 PC and S-7 for multiple files at once. I am trying to use the USB cable method. I connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable and the PC recognizes it.. but when I try to send the file to the phone I get the message " CANNOT COPY ITEM.. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected"... Then I tried the Kies 3 program to do the same and I get the message that the S-7 is locked and I have to enter an unlock code on the phone..(No idea what this means).. Any ideas? Maybe my Bluetooth method is the only way for me to do this but it should also be possible using the USB cable. My neighbor who has a WIN 7 PC and a Galaxy S-6 has experience the same problem BUT his computer doesn't have Bluetooth.. Not a big deal but curiosity on how to do it is getting me.. Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my S-5 I do it like this

Plug in and Allow MPT connection (on the phone, a pop up comes up when I connect)

on the computer open File Manager (File folder in quick start area)
Open a new window (use FILE New window)

on one window navigate to your music files which you wish to transfer

On the other choose (left pane) THIS COMPUTER

now look in the main frame for the phone (may say S-7 as part of it's name)

Open it and drill down to your music folder,, Mine is External Card, MUSIC Yours may be Phone Music

Select files to be copied from the one Window,, Past here on the other.. Sit back and watch

NOTE: It may yammer about "Converting the files" Choose "just copy".
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Connect phone to the computer. Give this about one minute. On the phone, swipe from top of screen to bottom. You should see USB options. Select MTP, for media transfer. This turns your phone into a standard USB thumb drive. Very easy to transfer all data this way.

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
sherlock62 wrote:
DD716TED wrote:

I like this idea but don't know how to copy a file (music) from Dropbox into the phone..I have tried several things with no luck.. Ideas?

Read here.

Got it... thank you do it once and it is simple from then on

Yes, very easy to set-up and to use. USB transferring is outdated in my opinion. Glad you took the time to move to this alternative.

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
sherlock62 wrote:
DD716TED wrote:

I like this idea but don't know how to copy a file (music) from Dropbox into the phone..I have tried several things with no luck.. Ideas?

Read here.

Got it... thank you do it once and it is simple from then on

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:

Read here.

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
sherlock62 wrote:
sch911 wrote:
ON THE PHONE:
Settings > About Device > Scroll to "Build Number"
Tap on "Build Number" six to eight times to enable Developer Options.
Settings > Developer Options > USB Configuration
Select MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)

Now plug into the PC with the USB.
Check in a Explorer for the phone.
You should now be able to see the phone folders....

Indeed, the instructions above are spot on, in regard to moving files via USB in regard to the Samsung S7...

I would like to encourage the use of another, simpler, approach to moving files from PC to smartphone or smartphone to PC. I stopped using USB for movement a couple of years back. A far better alternative is to have Microsoft One Drive, Drop Box or Google Drive installed on your PC and the associated app on your smart phone. Anyway, you can easily/quickly, place files you wish to transfer in your One Drive, Drop Box or Google Drive folder on the PC and they are then, available quickly, via the associated app on your smartphone. Using One Drive, Drop Box or Google Drive to move files is a far easier approach versus using the old USB method. I also have my smartphone pictures sent to One Drive, Drop Box or Google Drive as I take them. (they then sync to the PC) I use One Drive, Drop Box and Google Drive for cloud storage. Anyway, in my opinion, using the cloud... is a plus. I might also mention files are also easily shared with others via One Drive, Drop Box or Google Drive.

Note: Microsoft One Drive, offers for free, 5GB of storage.

sherlock62
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
ON THE PHONE:

Indeed, the instructions above are spot on, in regard to moving files via USB in regard to the Samsung S7...

I would like to encourage the use of another, simpler, approach to moving files from PC to smartphone or smartphone to PC. I stopped using USB for movement a couple of years back. A far better alternative is to have Microsoft One Drive, Drop Box or Google Drive installed on your PC and the associated app on your smart phone. Anyway, you can easily/quickly, place files you wish to transfer in your One Drive, Drop Box or Google Drive folder on the PC and they are then, available quickly, via the associated app on your smartphone. Using One Drive, Drop Box or Google Drive to move files is a far easier approach versus using the old USB method. I also have my smartphone pictures sent to One Drive, Drop Box or Google Drive as I take them. (they then sync to the PC) I use One Drive, Drop Box and Google Drive for cloud storage. Anyway, in my opinion, using the cloud... is a plus. I might also mention files are also easily shared with others via One Drive, Drop Box or Google Drive.

Note: Microsoft One Drive, offers for free, 5GB of storage.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
ON THE PHONE:

Better suggestion. I just remembered going through these steps. The a USB debugging was for testing about app a friend was developing.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
ON THE PHONE:

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
When I was loading up music using the USB and Explorer on my S6 I vaguely recall having to enable USB debugging on the phone (I know I did it for something, just not positive if it was for the music transfer). I'm not sure if it will fix your problem but easy enough to try. On my S6 I go to Settings->System->Developer Options and turn USB Debugging on while connected to my PC. I turned it off when finished.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Have you tried re-booting with the phone still connected.

re boot phone or pc? thanks for your help

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried re-booting with the phone still connected.

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
Simply plug in the S7 to the PC with the USB cable. Then the phone will prompt you to allow USB access to files, you respond yes. Now in Windows 10 open an Explorer window and you will see the phone mounted as a drive on the left pane. It's all drag and drop from there....

When I plug the phone in to the PC using the USB cable, I hear the brief connection alert sound and it does appear in the Explorer left hand pane...BUT when I try to drag a file to the device, I again get the message "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected"....

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Simply plug in the S7 to the PC with the USB cable. Then the phone will prompt you to allow USB access to files, you respond yes. Now in Windows 10 open an Explorer window and you will see the phone mounted as a drive on the left pane. It's all drag and drop from there....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad