cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite TV is Dead, Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I made a prediction on January 2019 that satellite TV will be gone in 2 years, looks like I might be right..

Direct TV just lost 267,000 customers in 3 months and the CEO wants to still raise prices and lower the channels..

Better get yourself a good internet connection for your RV..

https://youtu.be/9b5_Pdmi3R4
164 REPLIES 164

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill Satellite, I sent you a message. Thanks
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
I really don't care how I get my TV, as long as:
a) I can get what I watch now (ain't goin' there)
b) I can record and FF commercials
c) I don't have to limit my time because of data charges
d) no buffering
e) I can get it ANYWHERE

X2 bigtime

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't care how I get my TV, as long as:
a) I can get what I watch now (ain't goin' there)
b) I can record and FF commercials
c) I don't have to limit my time because of data charges
d) no buffering
e) I can get it ANYWHERE
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Airborne Wireless Network is supposed to be a thing soon. not holding my breath.

AWN is supposed to be a wholesale carrier service, not a home service.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
*is driec ending SD: Story is yes. Do not know when
What to do: Option 1 Over the air, cut the sat feed stop wasting money
Option 2 Dish network.

Option 3. Keep DirecTV and watch TV in HD! Even from your dome!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
*is driec ending SD: Story is yes. Do not know when
What to do: Option 1 Over the air, cut the sat feed stop wasting money
Option 2 Dish network.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Iridium just could not make it an affordable service or provide much in the way of speed other than being able to make satellite internet phone calls.

That latency is really evident when using a satellite phone. When our son was on an aircraft carrier in the Middle East years ago he would call us every so often via satellite phones available on the ship - there was about a 2 second delay both directions. That makes for an interesting conversation!
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
FWIW, I've been hearing about this satellite internet, world-wide internet, everywhere internet for last couple years and I still see absolutely no evidence of it. And I haven't gotten my flying car promised to me by Mechanix Illustrated either.

So true fj, they so overhype the Internet of Things it's ridiculous. Like we all need internet controlled thermostats, door locks, refrigerators. Just something else to spend a fortune on and then it breaks or gets hacked. I laugh at the flying car too, having seen so many mockups etc in Mechanix Illustrated. I use to love that mag. The flying car can work, but having everyday people function with them in our airspace is impossible. Drones already are falling on and killing people. Imagine the carnage if everyone flew their car to work.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
Airborne Wireless Network is supposed to be a thing soon. not holding my breath.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everywhere satellite internet IS coming. Elon Musk recently launched a slew of Low Earth Orbit LEO satellites. Even "fast" satellite internet is slowed down due to the latency (time required for a round trip) problems. The DISH / DirecTV satellites are located 22,500 miles above the earth and it takes about 1/2 second for the signal just to travel that far. Multiply that by the number of requests that must be make to open just 1 page, you can imagine how long it takes to walk through multiple pages.
The LEO satellites will be much closer to Earth (I think about 250 miles like the Space Station). Because the will be so close, they will not be able to be Geo-Stationary and they will speed across the sky. To work, you have to be able to hook up to one as it flys by and then, before it drops below the horizon you connect to the next satellite coming into view. This will take many satellites and multiple orbits. If this sounds familiar, Google Iridium Satellites and you will get an idea of how they plan to make it work. Iridium just could not make it an affordable service or provide much in the way of speed other than being able to make satellite internet phone calls.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Cord-Cutting Doubled in 2018
Here are the underlying trends investors need to know.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/03/11/cord-cutting-doubled-in-2018.aspx

Wow cord cutting doubled in 2018, I wonder what 2019 will be like..

Better start looking for a low cost internet provider for your home and RV or just rely on {digital} OTA TV.. ๐Ÿ˜›

Dish TV alone lost 1.2 million customers in 2018..

I predict Dish TV will lose 1.9 million customers in 2019 and DTV lose 1.7 million customers in 2019..

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
This article below is from July 2018.

2019 and 2020 will even be worse, how many more billions will be lost before they shut the doors..

Cord-cutting will cost cable companies $5.5B this year: Survey

Pay-TV subscriber rolls are in line to get whacked this year, according to a new survey that predicts 5.4 million subscribers will drop traditional cable, satellite or fiber-optic TV bundles.
And that massive exodus will cost the pay-TV business $5.5 billion in lost revenue, the cg42 study says. Those numbers, based on a survey of 3,385 U.S. customers in September, even managed to surprise the New York-based management-consulting firm.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cord-cutting-will-cost-cable-companies-5-5b-year-survey-193058089.htm...

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ROFLMAO.................This ones a doosy
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, I've been hearing about this satellite internet, world-wide internet, everywhere internet for last couple years and I still see absolutely no evidence of it. And I haven't gotten my flying car promised to me by Mechanix Illustrated either.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Dish losing pay-TV customers

Like all satellite TV providers, Dish Network (DISH) has been struggling to gain pay-TV customers. Dish Network has been losing its pay-TV customers for the past four consecutive quarters due to declining demand for subscription-TV packages. In the fourth quarter, Dish lost 334,000 net pay-TV subscribers (including both satellite TV and streaming service Sling TV), worse than analystsโ€™ expectation of a loss of 264,000 subscribers. In the previous yearโ€™s quarter, Dish gained 39,000 subscribers, including 75,000 reactivations in Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands, where services had been disrupted due to Hurricane Maria.

At the end of the fourth quarter, Dish Network had 12.3 million net pay-TV subscribers, down from ~13.2 million in the previous yearโ€™s period. The company had nearly 9.90 million Dish TV subscribers in 2018, down from 11 million in the previous yearโ€™s period.

Cord cutting is hurting pay-TV customer base

Higher-than-expected pay-TV subscriber losses in the quarter were the result of cord cutting. Demand for OTT (over-the-top) online video streaming services is growing rapidly, and consumers are moving away from satellite broadcast packages. Pay-TV company AT&T (T) reported a loss of 403,000 satellite TV customers, more than its expected loss of 328,000 customers, in the fourth quarter. AT&Tโ€™s number of traditional customers (satellite and U-verse TV) fell by 391,000 in the quarter.

Traditional pay-TV companies Comcast (CMCSA) and Charter Communications (CHTR) have also been losing video customers for the past several quarters due to cord cutting and competition from OTT players in the industry. As of December 31, 2018, Comcast had lost 19,000 residential video customers, while Charter had lost 36,000 residential video customers in the fourth quarter.

https://articles.marketrealist.com/2019/02/cord-cutting-trend-continues-to-hurt-dishs-pay-tv-custome...

When companies like the ones I listed above keep losing money and the future shows millions more cord cutters the stock goes to ZERO, like I said major stock holders and CEO's sell off and collect large bonuses before it collapses and it will soon..

334,000 dish customers cancelling the service every quarter that is over 1.2 million a year, and I suspect it will be 450,000 every quarter real soon and continue to grow..