cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite with National Channels

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at installing a roof dish. I understand that to get NBC, CBS, ABC, i need to get DNS services and sign an affidavit stating it is being used in a motorhome, etc. I called Dish networks and was told they do not offer DNS services. That leaves me DirectTV which does offer DNS services. But, I don't like there contract which states you can only suspend the service for a max of 6 months per year. Since we are not on the road 6 months a year, we will be paying for a service we don't use. QUESTONS: Are my statements above accurate? Is there a better alternative? Obviously I can use my regular antenna to pick up local channels, but often I am out of range and that is why I am considering an satellite.
19 REPLIES 19

derh20
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your comments. I have a further question which i will explain in a new posting. thanks again

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I only dislike the thought of changing locals all the time due to my obsession with recording (nearly) everything I plan to watch. The would mean that every time I changed locations I would also have to reprogram my DVR with the new channels where the Networks are located. I understand the Hopper can follow a program but I believe that's the only DVR that has that capability. Additionally, I really time being able to pick the time I want to watch things if I do watch live (NY 4th of July Fireworks at 7PM) or record more channels when they all come on at the same time (record some from the E feed and some from the W). Even if everything else was equal, I would really miss the ability to time shift!

On our VIP211k, we have our "locals" recordings set up using the Dish "PASS" feature that records programs by name instead of time. Using the available parameters, we can select new, all, HD only, etc., to minimize duplicates. On our Hopper, the "Prime Time Any Time" feature will automatically record all prime time programming on the major networks we select for the nights we select regardless of what channel they're on. We haven't made any DVR changes based on location since starting our Dish service.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
I only dislike the thought of changing locals all the time . . . I understand the Hopper can follow a program but I believe that's the only DVR that has that capability.

Bingo!

It's time to change & embrace the Dark Side, Bill:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I only dislike the thought of changing locals all the time due to my obsession with recording (nearly) everything I plan to watch. The would mean that every time I changed locations I would also have to reprogram my DVR with the new channels where the Networks are located. I understand the Hopper can follow a program but I believe that's the only DVR that has that capability. Additionally, I really time being able to pick the time I want to watch things if I do watch live (NY 4th of July Fireworks at 7PM) or record more channels when they all come on at the same time (record some from the E feed and some from the W). Even if everything else was equal, I would really miss the ability to time shift!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
georgelesley wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Dish "could" still offer DNS if they chose to do so. They simply choose not to. Mobile waivers (truckers, boaters and RVers) are all eligible from both Dish and DirecTV. Dish discontinued DNS by choice.

From what I heard, dish lost a court case that forced them to stop offering DNS. They then contracted with a third party vendor which we used one year to provide the service. That vendor is no longer in business. I even wrote my congressman about dish not being able to offer it direct because at the time we had just stopped full timing and hated to see the service go and that is what I was told. What they do now is not as convenient, but works.

Dish "did their time", and could now offer DNS themselves if they chose to do so. Obviously they have not. I find changing locals to be a very minor inconvenience, and we do like having the local news available for the area we're in. Particularly in locations where OTA reception is poor.

Thx for the clarification. Still wish they would start offering it again.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
georgelesley wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Dish "could" still offer DNS if they chose to do so. They simply choose not to. Mobile waivers (truckers, boaters and RVers) are all eligible from both Dish and DirecTV. Dish discontinued DNS by choice.

From what I heard, dish lost a court case that forced them to stop offering DNS. They then contracted with a third party vendor which we used one year to provide the service. That vendor is no longer in business. I even wrote my congressman about dish not being able to offer it direct because at the time we had just stopped full timing and hated to see the service go and that is what I was told. What they do now is not as convenient, but works.

Dish "did their time", and could now offer DNS themselves if they chose to do so. Obviously they have not. I find changing locals to be a very minor inconvenience, and we do like having the local news available for the area we're in. Particularly in locations where OTA reception is poor.
Dutch

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
georgelesley wrote:
We also use Dish and get the locals wherever we are with a call. Once I thought I would get ahead of the game and called with the new address while we were still travelling. I was assured the locals would be on when we got there. Not so. The sat dish or tailgator we use must be set up, aimed, and receiver on to receive the "bump" they send. I always tell them now to send an authorization. After many calls, I found out that not all CSR's know to do this.

I've had much better luck having CSR's get it right the first time around using the online chat service instead of calling. I use a pre-written script and just copy and paste it into the chat window when it opens. The script both saves time and minimizes typos. I have a master text file with the parks we regularly stop at pre-scripted, along with a template for any new ones. The file also has the dish setup parameters listed for each regular location.
Dutch

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
We also use Dish and get the locals wherever we are with a call. Once I thought I would get ahead of the game and called with the new address while we were still travelling. I was assured the locals would be on when we got there. Not so. The sat dish or tailgator we use must be set up, aimed, and receiver on to receive the "bump" they send. I always tell them now to send an authorization. After many calls, I found out that not all CSR's know to do this.

Kenc_AL
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
edbehnke wrote:
you are confusing the situation. when you talk about 'national' channels you are talking about 2 different things.

1. there WAS a 'national' programming system where you got a waiver, and renewed every 6 months....but the FCC stopped the sat companies. these were the NEW YORK FEEDS 'national channels of ABC, CBS, NBC.

2. now for the 'normal' area channels of abc, cbs, nbc you pay extra and get them in your area. if out of your area, like stated, you just call and tell them where you are. I did this with dish all the time.

The FCC did not stop DNS. DirecTV still offers the "Distant Network Service" (DNS) that supplies either east or west coast major network stations to qualified subscribers. Dish subscribers had a DNS service from a third party company available until the provider dropped the service a few years ago.

Technically Correct - The FCC still allows Direct TV to offer DNS services because they do not offer local TV to all 210 markets in the US. They have now crossed the 90% threshold.

Dish has offered all 210 markets for a little over 2 years. So wherever you are parked, with DISH you get the locals assigned to that market. All include a station from the the big 4 networks. Orphan counties (where a county is assigned to an out of state TV market) is another nightmare buried in this topic. These rules will changed and updated by the FCC by early September 2015. You can visit http://www.multichannel.com/news/satellite or https://www.fcc.gov and educate yourself further.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
edbehnke wrote:
you are confusing the situation. when you talk about 'national' channels you are talking about 2 different things.

1. there WAS a 'national' programming system where you got a waiver, and renewed every 6 months....but the FCC stopped the sat companies. these were the NEW YORK FEEDS 'national channels of ABC, CBS, NBC.

2. now for the 'normal' area channels of abc, cbs, nbc you pay extra and get them in your area. if out of your area, like stated, you just call and tell them where you are. I did this with dish all the time.

The FCC did not stop DNS. DirecTV still offers the "Distant Network Service" (DNS) that supplies either east or west coast major network stations to qualified subscribers. Dish subscribers had a DNS service from a third party company available until the provider dropped the service a few years ago.
Dutch

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
It typically takes me about 5 minutes on the Dish chat system to change my service address and update the locals. Even changing it daily hasn't been a significant hassle. Also, sometimes when we're on the move daily, we're still within the same spot beam from one location to another, and a change really isn't needed if all we want is the national network programming. When we're headed north to see our kids for instance, we change our service address to our Adirondack cottage when we stop for the night in Jonestown, PA, a little north of Harrisburg. The western arc spot beam that carries the Albany, NY market that serves our cottage is easily picked up in Jonestown as well, since the elliptically shaped beam reaches over a 1,000 miles at its widest point.
Dutch