Is there any reason I can not put a portable satelite dome on the roof
Harry & Pat
9 REPLIES 9

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
jubileeeducation wrote:
Is there any reason I can not put a portable satelite dome on the roof

In most cases the only difference between a roof dome and a ground dome are the feet. The Pathway X2 is too large to mount on the roof, but otherwise there is little if any difference between the dome on the roof and the dome on the ground.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Have had satellite in our RVs for years. At first, having bought an RV with a manual, rooftop dish, I though "having a 'loose' antenna I can move around the campsite would be better so I can dodge trees". After several years of that, with the next RV, I finally went up and mounted it to the roof. I found it was a wash, either dodging trees above or bushes on the ground. Having it permanently mounted was one less thing to deal with setting up and breaking camp. Sat is so common now, RV parks are quite hip to placing you at a sat friendly site if you just ask when you reserve/arrive. I've never had an issue with the handle not pointing north. Dishes I've had were always able to lock onto a sat. We've always just used our small sat box in both our house and RV. We never use the DVR functions of the bigger boxes so just one works for us.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
starlord wrote:
They make a mount to put them on a trailer ladder, but to mount it permanently would not work since they have to point a certain direction to start with.

I put my handle as much toward north as possible and even when slightly misaligned, it finds the satelites fine. I am not sure how it would do if my campsite made the handle face directly south.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

jubileeeducatio
Explorer
Explorer
thanks
Harry & Pat

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Winegard Playmaker domes can be used either way with an optional permanent roof mount kit. With a roof mount, you lose the placement flexibility for aiming on treed sites of course.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jubileeeducatio
Explorer
Explorer
permanent
Harry & Pat

starlord
Explorer
Explorer
They make a mount to put them on a trailer ladder, but to mount it permanently would not work since they have to point a certain direction to start with.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Permanently?
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
No...domes and entena are very common on RV roofs.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad