cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Still rocking older Hardware?

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the world of the latest and greatest tech.... I am a little different... My tech is ancient by modern terms..I have an older suite of go-to devices that I still use on a daily basis. I'm one of those people who use a device until it just stops working. So in my current tech quiver I have the following...

2011 MacBook Pro 13 inch
iPad Air 2 (circa late 2011)
IPhone 5
iPad mini (first gen)

I connect the MacBook to a couple of external 21 inch monitors along with a mouse and a keyboard... This is my at home work set up for the days I work from home

The IPad 2 is primarily a media consumption device (Facebook, etc) and a fourth monitor for my desktop set up...

The iPad mini goes with me everywhere. It's literally my Bible, streaming music at work, calendar, notepad, everyday device, and I save my sermons and other speeches to it and use it while I speak.

The iPhone 5 is just my communication device... Replaced the battery earlier this year...works perfectly.

At this point I have no plans to upgrade my tech as they work perfectly for me. I know they may not have all the latest bells and whistles but they still work great.

Just posting to see if I am the only one who is still rocking older tech...

Posted from an ancient iPad 2 (not Air 2)

Thanks,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
6 REPLIES 6

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it does your job ok, why go through the pain and expense of changing? I have 3 laptops, the newest hit the market 8 years ago. With an SSD in each, I don't find them lacking at all. The car is 20 years old with 250k miles and runs great, and the flip phone makes phone calls just fine and tethers to the laptops.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

APT
Explorer
Explorer
My main home PC is a desktop that I built in 2001. I have replaced every component inside the case at least once, but original Antec full tower case! It's currently running an Intel i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and 250GB SSD for Windows 8.1 and programs. I have two laptops circa 2009, one dual core one celeron based both came with Windows 7. They both take minutes to boot to desktop and one was effectively useless at streaming Youtube. So I replaced one of the drives with an SSD and installed Ubuntu. Now it's a great machine! Boots under 10s, edits MS Office files, manage files from external drives, and the kids can play with it - Youtube and web games. $45 for the SSD and it performs better than any new Windows based <$500 PC.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good experience folks! I still drive a 2000 Town Car as my daily driver...coming up on 170k miles... Hope to go to 300 plus with it.

I have a Digital SLR that's about 3 years old. I got it for Christmas as a present. I hope it lasts 10 plus years.

I did buy a new wireless mouse for my computer... Before that my mouse was a nearly 20 year old trackball mouse. I sure do like the wireless stuff... Hope it lasts though.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp, I agree with you, accept I still have an "old" flip phone. Though it can take pictures, I have never used it for that and also have a dedicated digital camera for all my picture taking.

I never got caught up in the "must have" latest and greatest digital devices. The companies and their CEOs just thrive on that and take it all to the bank at the expense of the consumers. :R

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We traded our flip phones for smart phones last year. We do not like the smart phones.
I do like the convenience of the camera on the smart phone. But, if I plan on taking pictures, I like a dedicated digital camera.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 2006 HP 5230 Laptop
TWO 2006 Flip phones that make/receive phone calls.

Verizon Air Card for internet with Wilson Trucker Antenna when we go camping where signal is weak.

I rarely use the cell phone....GF uses hers

For photos..Cannon 35mm SLR

For music.. Clarion AM/FM Radio with USB port (Truck) and CD player in house.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31