cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straight Talk ZTE Z289L hotspot experience

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer
I am starting this thread to track the correction/fix to the Straight Talk Z289L (Blue Map/AT&T) hotspot. I know many of you have shared your horrible experiences with the Straight Talk Z289L hotspot. I assume that they will fix it at one point! I'd like to know when users begin getting better results so I know when to reactivate mine. I do know they continue to sell it since it is on the shelves at my local Walmart (as of 2/28/2015).

PLEASE do not discuss the Straight Talk Z288L (Red map/Verizon) since we already know that one works and there is another thread discussing that unit.
Fred H.
1977 Argosy 20' Motorhome
ViewRVs.com
Fred's Airstream Archives
8 REPLIES 8

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer
It is funny how they always want to "take this issue offline!"

I actually have both the Z288 (Verizon) and Z289 (AT&T). I just returned from a two-week trip where I used both. I wasn't planning on using the Z289 but I called it into service when the Z288 wasn't getting service and I need to attend a web-meeting. The Z289 was only getting 4G (great since the LTE would lock it up).

I was camping mostly at state parks so I was using my Wilson Sleek Booster with the units most of the time and it worked great to get a stronger signal.

No speed tests but they were sufficient for my work which included several web meetings.

This whole issue is really ridiculous since I bet a senior network engineer could fix it in less than an hour. It is likely just a setting somewhere.
Fred H.
ViewRVs.com

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II
1985air345 wrote:
There is a lengthy discussion of the problems with the unit on the Straight Talk Forums. There is a potential solution on page 8 but it requires some technical skills to complete!

ZTE Z289L Hotspot problems

i went to this and looked at page 8.

after reading it i googled-how to change mtu in windows 7

it brought me to microsoft. i went down the page and read they will do it for you if you pick do it for me icon.

since i have the verizon version of this device-ZTE Z288l i have not needed to do this yet

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
1985air345 wrote:
There is a lengthy discussion of the problems with the unit on the Straight Talk Forums. There is a potential solution on page 8 but it requires some technical skills to complete!

1985air345, thanks for that info and link. I really got a laugh out of the Straight talk reps on that forum with the constant answer "Hi #######! My name is Straight Talk ###### and I would like to answer your query. For me to assist you further, we need to take this issue offline so I can address it. I will contact you directly with a private message. Thank you!". Why will they not discuss it in public so everyone can learn?

I returned 2 units to Walmart for the exact issues mentioned in that forum.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Z289L last week had to call tech support, they they speak poor English.But got it to work.Have not used it very much,will take it camping next week.Let you know how it turns out.Some places I camp AT&T has the best coverage.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
jamway wrote:

A speed test showed it to be a tad bit faster than our AT&T air card. That may change with a different campground.

Any specifics on how fast the Z289L is?? The Verizon Z288L is throttled to 5mbs down and 1.25mbs up.

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
I just turned one on last Sunday. It has worked as it should. We have not moved to different campgrounds to try that part out but we will in a few days.

Yes a short time experience but we may use it a long time if it keeps working as it is now.

A speed test showed it to be a tad bit faster than our AT&T air card. That may change with a different campground.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James

1985air345
Explorer
Explorer

Fred H.
ViewRVs.com

roy67ss
Explorer
Explorer
I recently received a replacement unit and have only used it sparingly so far. It appears to be working as advertised. The experience was absolutely terrible. I was without the hotspot for about 7 weeks and it was like pulling teeth to have the data and service time restored to the new unit. If you have a fixed address for several weeks, you may have better luck than I did.
Roy

2011 GMC 3500, Duramax, Allison
2008 HitchHiker LS 29.5 FKTG with most options