cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Streaming TV in an RV using a cellular data plan

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
Background- we are not actually going to watch much TV when camping, just want to have the option if the weather is bad for example. We seldom camp anywhere with TV hookups. Could do satellite but I'm leaning no on that, probably just wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. I haven't had much luck with over the air, most likely due to the fairly remote and mountainous areas we usually camp.

So far we've mostly just watched DVDs, but that's a slowly dying technology. I haven't purchased a DVD in a long time. Blockbuster is basically gone. Redbox is usually the best option, but even that can sometimes be fairly distant depending where we are.

What I'd like to be able to do is stream Netflix or Hulu. We have a 10GB cellular data plan with plenty left over most months. But how to get it from the iPhone to the TV? I have Apple TV at home, but that requires a home network which is connected to our cable modem. I can create a wifi hot spot with my iPhone, but that doesn't use a router and Apple TV needs the router to work. I'm pretty sure that Roku works the same way. I've been looking at Amazon Fire TV Stick and it looks promising (they say you can use it in a hotel). Has anyone used it? Will it stream from a phone with LTE? Any other good options anyone can recommend? Thanks!
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9
46 REPLIES 46

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Roku.
Use your phone as a wireless hotspot.
No 'router' needed.
This is what I do.

It will burn through your data in a short while.

ETA: I would think you could do this with your apple tv and phone hotspot also without a router.
Does apple tv have wireless built in?
Try it at home and see.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RDMueller wrote:
I haven't had much luck with over the air, most likely due to the fairly remote and mountainous areas we usually camp.
Streaming is easy with a strong 4g signal, but, since you said that, I wouldn't be relying on it working.

Portable sat TV is your best bet.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman