Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgater and Sat1 LVR & Sat 2 BDR

getontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

I searched the forum but can not find any information. I have a dish tailgater, in my convenience center I have a satellite 1 living room and satellite 2 Bedroom. Can I use a splitter from the tailgater to the two Sat in ports and view my programing on both my living room and bedroom tv. I realize they would view the same channel. Am I missing something from the inside of the RV in the main TV area-a switch or something to turn on the bedroom signal.

Thank you for your help.
Just us
(Me, the honey, 3 kids, and furbaby)
Happy in North Dakota

2008 Ford F350 Supercrew V10
2014 Montana mountaineer 310RET
2006 Ford F150
15 REPLIES 15

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
This is not as easy as a yes or no question, as you have variables inside and outside.

1. Outside. You cannot "split" the signal. This does not mean you cannot have 2 different destinations (LR & BR). It means you can only have one at a time. You can insert an COAX A/B switch which would allow you to choose either A (=LR) or B (=BR) but not both. A single LNB, as is in the Tailgater, wont know what to do if you try to use two destination receivers, at the same time. The A/B switch will require you to have a receiver at each destination (LR/BR). You can also do this inside, before the receiver, which would require you to run COAX inside, from A/B switch to other destination. Only one receiver can control the dish at a time, Period.

2. Inside. This is what others are mostly talking about. TechWriter has some great links. Run the COAX to your receiver (211k/z). If you have the 211k, you can connect two TVs (one SD and one HD). If you have a 211z or you want to split the HDMI out, you need a 1 x 2 HDMI splitter. This allows you to use 1 receiver on 2 TVs. It is still coming from one receiver. You can still only get one channel at a time. It will be the same channel on both TVs.

Have fun.

p.s If you have ARC or other features in a TV or home theater, pick your HDMI splitter carefully. Splitter do not always support all features.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
you can just get a small/relatively cheap $100 or so +- device that will broadcast the TV reception to another device hooked to the second TV.
bumpy

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Since you own a Mountaineer go over to the Montana Owners Club (MOC) forum and sign up. Maybe someone there will know. Someone posted a schematic of the sat/TV wiring for the newer units and the older units there.

I have a 2007 Montana and my connections are different from yours.

getontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
OK...does anyone know if there is a connection to the bedroom TV in the back of the living room TV? I don't care if it is the same programming, I just want the option to watch the sat in my bedroom when I'm settling in for the night.

The fifth wheel is knew to us and we were only inside when we bought the 5th, the pdi, and then again when we got home for just a little while. Then the snow came again and my son left.
Just us
Happy in North Dakota

2006 Ford F150

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
With a single DISH 211k or 211z receiver, these are your options for hooking up 2 TVs:
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You cannot put a splitter before the RV. The Tailgater coax MUST go directly to the 211k. The 211k actually drives the Tailgater in its auto search for the satellites. And you will have to run one cable from the 211k to the living room TV. And another to the bedroom TV. I suppose you could use the coax output from the 211k thru a splitter to both TVs. But if you want HD on the larger TV you need to use the HDMI output from the 211k.

I guess it would be possible to run the Tailgater coax directly to the 211k thru a window. Then run another coax from the 211k coax output back out the window to a splitter. Then run two coaxes from the splitter outputs to the two RV sat inputs. Don't know that would be practical though.

getontheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies-sorry I didn't get to respond earlier but today was hectic. On the outside of the RV I have a coax input that says living room sat and another that says bedroom Sat. If I run the coax to the living room will the picture show in the bedroom also or do I need to somehow split. I have the 211K. I thought maybe I can run a splitter going into the RV before I plug into both lines in and then run the box. I realize now that will not work. So I guess from the responses it sounds like I have to run a cable to the bedroom directly from the satellite receiver...that is inconvenient.

I can't get into the RV right now because my son accidently took the keys and left them in his vehicle at the airport which is 280 miles away and he will not be back for 2 weeks.
Just us
Happy in North Dakota

2006 Ford F150

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
kmbelt wrote:
The 211k does have coax output, so it would be able to send to two tv's via a splitter, however both would only be in SD and not HD.

I have a 211k. I have the living room TV connected to the 211k via an HDMI cable for HD programming. And the coax output from the 211k goes to the bedroom TV for simultaneous SD programming, same channel of course. However the bedroom TV is only 19" so SD looks fine on it.

No need for a splitter.

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
kmbelt wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
The Tailgater coax must go directly to the sat receiver. If you want to run two TVs from the same sat receiver you must run two cables from the receiver to the two TVs.

Do you have a 211k or 211z receiver?

Yeah, this could be an issue.

The 211z is the newer box and it does not have coax out. It only supports HDMI and standard RCA (red,white,yellow) output.

The 211k does have coax output, so it would be able to send to two tv's via a splitter, however both would only be in SD and not HD.

Yes but if you have that receiver you can purchase a RCA modulator which will take the red,white,yellow output and convert it to rf which is a coax connection and then split it with a splitter
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
The Tailgater coax must go directly to the sat receiver. If you want to run two TVs from the same sat receiver you must run two cables from the receiver to the two TVs.

Yeah, this could be an issue.

The 211z is the newer box and it does not have coax out. It only supports HDMI and standard RCA (red,white,yellow) output.

2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Receiver and tv
Where we are now

Steve and Joy

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Are you referring to splitting the sat signal between the dish and the receiver or between the receiver and the television jacks.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
You would have to put the splitter on the output of the box marked "to TV"
Where we are now

Steve and Joy