cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgater Satellite installation

DonCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new 2013 Fleetwood Bounder 35K and want to enjoy satellite television. Can I use the TV port in the rear compartment to tie the satellite into the AV system. In the front compartment is another TV port which I thought I could plug the receiver into. Fleetwood stated that it should work, however the dealer says it will not work and could burn out the satellite unit. Does anyone who is correct and has anyone ever done it this way. Thanks for your time.
5 REPLIES 5

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DonCarol wrote:
Can I use the TV port in the rear compartment to tie the satellite into the AV system.

Short answer... NO. but there is a longer answer.

Insider your rig is one of two switches.. One is a box of many buttons, it has buttons for "SAT/DVR (or Vcr)? DVD (or Blue Ray) ANT, CABLE and AUX and these are grouped for TV-1, TV-2, TV-3 and VCR/DVR more than likely.

OR you have a wall plate, Switch, Light, 12 volt outlet and antenna connection.

Now the issues.

On the park-cable-TV jack you are asking about odds are the cable is low cost RG-59 Very high loss at sat frequencies but.. If it's short enough it might not degrade things too much. It runs to the BACK of the switch described above (Center on the wall plate, if it has 3, left center if it's 4)

You must disconnect it from the switch and route it (or extend it) to the Sat receiver.

What I recommend is putting in a dedicated brand new RG-6 line for the sat receiver and leave the park cable .... for when you have park cable.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

joedob
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 35k. We have the winegard roadtrip mission satellite system. I assume this is what you have. We have the Dish receiver, In the front compartment, I just connected the cable from the satellite to the Dish receiver and the coach HDMI connection to the receiver and the middle tv works with Dish system. You need to select the HDMI2 on the input button with the tv controller. All this is in the Dish receiver users guide. Getting the other 2 tvs connected is another subject I am trying to solve. Good luck, Joedob

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Tailgater for my fifth-wheel. All of my coax input cables (roof antenna, satellite input, cable input) went into a "distribution box"; from that box were outputs to main tv, bedroom tv (if there is one).

I found that my tailgater would not work going though the distribution box. I had to run the satellite coax directly to the receiver input. A few feet of coax extension was needed. In other words, I looked at cables connected to the back of the distribution box. I unplugged "satellite in" and ran that cable to the receiver input. I also unplugged the "main tv out" and connected that coax to receiver "tv-out".

DonCarol
Explorer
Explorer
The TV amplifier is on a seperate circuit and switch. I just see the coax TV input in the rear compartment and the TV coax out in the front compartment. I looked at the wiring diagrams and could not find any type of power going through the coax.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Not familiar with the rig. But you must confirm that the incoming coax, whichever you choose, does not go thru a switch or antenna amplifier circuit. The Tailgater must go directly to the sat receiver box, and specifically a vip211k receiver box (although I think there are some other 211 models it will work with).