cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T is reportedly trying to sell DirecTV to private-equity investors just five years after buying the satellite provider. The negotiations with potential buyers come after millions of customers ditched DirecTV over the past two years, and could value DirecTV at much less than the $49 billion AT&T paid for it.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/08/att-reportedly-trying-to-sell-directv-after-massive-cust...

Millions cutting the cord, would not buy that expensive satellite dish..

:B
135 REPLIES 135

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
CFerguson wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Bill is even easier, more appropriate and more polite but you don't seem interested in either of the last 2.

More interested in them than you are of looking at the Facts in the links i have posted. Believing something because you have chosen to put Satellite in your name doesnt make you an expert on it. More data (in the guise of knowledgeable sources), less opinion supports a position. Or at least try to understand the tech of Starlink. I'd be glad to help you understand any of it youre having trouble with if youd ask.

I see you are simply going to continue to insult be so there is no further point trying to have an actual discussion. You appear to be the only one here saying you know it all despite the service not existing as of today (other than the Beta).
When the service becomes available we will finally be able to discuss reality and not how the service will work "on paper".
Price, speed, hardware, installation, mobility......so many questions.
Oh by the way, you may continue your insults but I will no longer respond to or acknowledge your pathetic attempts at degradation in hope of furthering your own self-worth.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is unlimited only to a specified cap, it is not really unlimited. Regardless of what marketing chooses to call it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve had Verizon for 20+ years and got their โ€œunlimited โ€œ plan when it first came out many years ago. Unlimited high speed to 15GB per device per billing cycle then throttle back to 3g barely able to get email.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Way2roll wrote.

Or use a cellular hotspot and steam your content - if you have a decent signal. We used to live on top of a mountain with no hard wired internet. Decent plan on a hotspot allowed us to stream, work remote and handle anything a hard wired internet would do. Performance was far superior to Satellite. (we had Sat too at one point for comparison)

We have Verizon unlimited on 3 devices. We do not stream anything and use up all 3 high speed allotment of 15gb each device by the 20th of each month. You must be dreaming.

I have a Verizon prepaid plan, that they don't offer currently, that is truly unlimited with no throttling. They say is it managed in the case of tower loading, but I have never noticed a slowdown.

I constantly keep my eyes open for new truly unlimited plans since they change.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
way2roll wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:

"We have Verizon unlimited on 3 devices. We do not stream anything and use up all 3 high speed allotment of 15gb each device by the 20th of each month. You must be dreaming.
"

How can you have unlimited data and have a 15gb allotment? - that's contradictory. Not sure if you're calling me a liar but I must be living the dream because that's my reality. I was trying to help you since I had a similar situation. I have a real unlimited data plan and it's cheaper than what Sat and a TV subscription was. Keep balking at it if you want, but options are out there. But don't tell me I don't know what I am talking about.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Bill is even easier, more appropriate and more polite but you don't seem interested in either of the last 2.

More interested in them than you are of looking at the Facts in the links i have posted. Believing something because you have chosen to put Satellite in your name doesnt make you an expert on it. More data (in the guise of knowledgeable sources), less opinion supports a position. Or at least try to understand the tech of Starlink. I'd be glad to help you understand any of it youre having trouble with if youd ask.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Way2roll wrote.

Or use a cellular hotspot and steam your content - if you have a decent signal. We used to live on top of a mountain with no hard wired internet. Decent plan on a hotspot allowed us to stream, work remote and handle anything a hard wired internet would do. Performance was far superior to Satellite. (we had Sat too at one point for comparison)

We have Verizon unlimited on 3 devices. We do not stream anything and use up all 3 high speed allotment of 15gb each device by the 20th of each month. You must be dreaming.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Retired JSO wrote:
Case in point. We are building a new home in the Georgia mountains. We have 2 acres in a subdivision with underground utilities, no fiber or dsl. There is only 14 homes in the subdivision. Fiber is available at the entrance to our subdivision. Upon contacting the company that owns the fiber, their quote was $5,800 per home to make our homes satellite free. We will be on satellite for many more years.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
2oldman wrote:
wnjj wrote:
. You cannot just paste links into your post like some other forums allow.
I can.

Your unformatted links turn clickable when you post them? Never seen that before.

Trying Google for a test (just pasted): https://www.google.com/

Clickable version (formatted with url tag): https://www.google.com

You have to manually add the formatting. It's not hard, it's 5 characters before the link and 6 characters after the link. I do it all the time.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Case in point. We are building a new home in the Georgia mountains. We have 2 acres in a subdivision with underground utilities, no fiber or dsl. There is only 14 homes in the subdivision. Fiber is available at the entrance to our subdivision. Upon contacting the company that owns the fiber, their quote was $5,800 per home to make our homes satellite free. We will be on satellite for many more years.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
2oldman wrote:
wnjj wrote:
I can.

Your unformatted links turn clickable when you post them? Never seen that before.
No, perhaps I misunderstood. I can paste formatted links that are clickable.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
wnjj wrote:
I can.

Trying Google for a test (just pasted): https://www.google.com/

Clickable version (formatted with url tag): https://www.google.com

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj wrote:
I can.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
CFerguson wrote:
I agree 100% and apologize for that. For some reason, the site wont let me post hot links. It has been this way since i joined. Perhaps a conflict with my browser settings or something.

Are you using the little earth with chain link icon to post your links? It wraps the proper formatting around the link (โ€œa URL=โ€œ tag) so that it is clickable. You cannot just paste links into your post like some other forums allow. If that icon doesnโ€™t work, you can still type in the formatting manually. Just look at another post with a working link by quoting it to see how.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moderators usually close posts when things get this hot.