cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Times Up, Told You So, DirecTV is Dead

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T is reportedly trying to sell DirecTV to private-equity investors just five years after buying the satellite provider. The negotiations with potential buyers come after millions of customers ditched DirecTV over the past two years, and could value DirecTV at much less than the $49 billion AT&T paid for it.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/08/att-reportedly-trying-to-sell-directv-after-massive-cust...

Millions cutting the cord, would not buy that expensive satellite dish..

:B
135 REPLIES 135

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill is even easier, more appropriate and more polite but you don't seem interested in either of the last 2.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
CFerguson wrote:
FlatBroke wrote:
. Posts would be a lot easier to read if links were posted correctly.

I agree 100% and apologize for that. For some reason, the site wont let me post hot links. It has been this way since i joined. Perhaps a conflict with my browser settings or something.

LOL, looks like billy is getting a bit sensitive. Sincere Apologies to your mother chief, but billy is just easier to type than your entire non de plume. Maybe i should let you off the fact hook if youre going to appeal to mommy.

Posts would also be a lot easier to read if posters were not actively trying to goad other users. Bill.Satellite made a mistake when he let bullies know he didn't like being called "Billy." Yes, there are bullies on this site. They can't win with their logic and arguments so they resort to insults and bullying. That is how you know they have run out of logical arguments.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:

I agree 100% and apologize for that. For some reason, the site wont let me post hot links. It has been this way since i joined. Perhaps a conflict with my browser settings or something.

LOL, looks like billy is getting a bit sensitive. Sincere Apologies to your mother chief, but billy is just easier to type than your entire non de plume. Maybe i should let you off the fact hook if youre going to appeal to mommy.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Little Timmy Mac has been shouting at the wind for years and no one will fall for it. He has never explained the reason he's so mad at the satellite TV providers but his fear mongering only sucks in a few folks each time he skews this BS. So much of this Country remains under served that it will be years (if ever) before a reasonable internet system truly covers everyone.
In the meantime, I have NO CONCERNS about the future of my satellite TV service.

I agree.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heisenberg wrote:
metoo

X3

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
metoo
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thread went from DTV to internet on the first page. Weird.

I'll use my Directv until it goes dark. I have no other choice in the woods.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Little Timmy Mac has been shouting at the wind for years and no one will fall for it. He has never explained the reason he's so mad at the satellite TV providers but his fear mongering only sucks in a few folks each time he skews this BS. So much of this Country remains under served that it will be years (if ever) before a reasonable internet system truly covers everyone.
In the meantime, I have NO CONCERNS about the future of my satellite TV service.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Billy is getting very upset that satellite TV might send him a notice soon that they will no longer be in business due to lack of customers..

If you think Elon is spending billions of dollars on this satellite internet that will give poor service you are wrong..

Oh yea and there is 2 other satellite internet companies coming online after Elons is up..

Has AT&T found a sucker yet for DircTV..

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would say that you can go ......yourself but I will not. I really don't care that you and I have different opinions (but it appears you do). You read stuff and accept that as fact. I read stuff and question how that's possible (like changing the laws regarding the speed of light).
My Mom called me Billy early on but not later in my life. You are NOT my Mom so chill the ...... out.
I promise not to call you...sorry, I might call you that.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Again billy, you didnt read the links and are just spouting from the wrong end of a longneck. The latency #s are in the links. I dont help the lazy so if you want to know them, you are going to have to read the Facts for yourself.
And you apparently missed the part about faster than the broadband you tout and cherish.
And the part about how big the satellite network is going to be lol.

I will help you with some math. At the planned launch rate(which they are currently meeting) with the reusable rocket that has launched more than any other in history, GLOBAL coverage can begin in 2Q 2021. It of course Wont be available for those clinging to their hardwired broadband but i wont name any names.

And yeah duh Starlink does belong in this thread. One reason DirecTV is dying is the coming replacement by Starlink. Might need a new handle to stay current eh.

Archie_Kravitz
Explorer
Explorer
I just gave away a hd direcTV weingard sat dish. You Tube TV on a Roku. $75 with showtime. unlimited DVR and 10 different Rokus' no more $55/month receiver rental. (no sports fee either)
Most RV parks have free wifi, works great.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

Elon's 100 megabit service will never provide end users with that kind of service just the same as the touted capabilities of Fiber or Cable rarely provide the end users with that full service.

People forget that Starlink is intended as a rural Internet service, not urban. Starlink doesn't (and won't) have that sort of bandwidth.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snore! "Super Low Latency",......compared to what? Wouldn't a number make more sense? Of course it is super low compared to standard satellite internet, but likely not as good as ground based that does not need to make a 500 mile round trip. Do you really believe NO ground stations will be required? Obviously that's not true.
Elon's 100 megabit service will never provide end users with that kind of service just the same as the touted capabilities of Fiber or Cable rarely provide the end users with that full service. 100 megabits with 10 users online is likely working really well. Let's see when there are 1000 people hitting each satellite. Price is still not out there either. Somehow you are going to have to get a return on the Billions and Billions being spent to get it all setup.
You continue to imply that I say it will not work. I have never said that I would appreciate it if you would quit lying about that.
At least there is some truth in the above post where you say:
"File it away and get back to us in a couple of years......"
That's a more likely time line than the topic of this thread which is DirecTV is Dead.