cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weather radio

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a good weather that's easy to use. I've heard there are some that you just program the zip code of where you are and it's set. Any suggestions? THANKS.....
19 REPLIES 19

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We too use the Weather Bug app. I purchased a weather radio last year and its still in its packaging. Living in a tornado prone area you learn to keep a good eye on the weather during spring and fall. Midland makes a good radio, what I have I in the house. Cannot set by zip code but by state and county.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We use and app on our smarthphones and tablets "WeatherBug" it gi e us alerts in the area we are traveling in.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Reecom wx radio. On Amazon it is cheaper.

wx radio

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not aware of any weather radio that coverts Zip-Code to frequency and S.A.M.E. code, in fact, as far as I know the only sources for those are on-line or printed.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
I am not certain that you need the ability to put in a Zip code. NOAA and Environment Canada only use 7 channels in the entire continent. My trailer radio has it built in and it is really easy to scan all 7 channels for the one that you can pick up, it only takes a few seconds. The channels are laid out geographically so you should not get more than one in any location (the closest city). I would say that if you do not have one built into the trailer that runs on DC, get one that is portable and has either battery or crank power (or both) and most importantly one that has an alarm so that when a Tornado, hurricane, blizzard warning etc go out, your radio will sound an alarm and than turn on the broadcast.
NOAA channels:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/coverage/station_listing.html
Environment Canada channels:
http://ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.asp?lang=En&n=8830FA44-1

If you are looking for a specific recommendation, Eton has a lot of good models and they consistently rate very well in reviews.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com