cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What's everyone using to remove mal ware?

tmmar
Explorer
Explorer
I downloaded malware bytes but they only give you a 'trial' program that expires after a week or two. Does anyone know of any other free malware removal programs that do a good job? I have Kapersky installed but not sure if that does malware removal.
Thanks
2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse
46 REPLIES 46

ralphnjoann wrote:
strollin wrote:
Yes, the free versions of things work pretty well and are an attempt to get you to like that company's product so you will spring for their paid version. The paid version is not necessarily better though.

I used the free version of BitDefender and it was an OK AV, seemed to do the job. BitDefender had a sale on their paid version, $29 for 3 computers for 1 year. I thought that seemed like a good deal so purchased it and installed it on 3 computers. The full version of BitDefender is the most obnoxious piece of software I have ever used. It's intrusive, constantly bugs you to add additional services, blocks execution of software it doesn't like (but doesn't tell you it is blocking it). I've already removed the BitDefender "virus" from one of my computers and will probably remove it from the other 2 two as well.

I tried the free version of BitDefender and wound up uninstalling it. In addition to the above, when it won't let you install a program that it doesn't like, you are not given the option of overriding that decision. A major flaw IMHO.

The free and paid versions use the same detection engine, so not worth purchasing in my opinion. In fact, I've only used Free AV for twelve years with no issues.

BitDefender Free appears to be less configurable than other packages such as AVG Free, and appears designed for those who just want to set it and forget it.

You can turn off real-time virus shield when installing software, though haven't found it necessary. If it does erroneously detect a suspicious file and quarantines it, which it did for one well known legitimate graphics program, it has an option to approve the file, so have not experienced any issue of not being able to install or run any software.

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
strollin wrote:
Yes, the free versions of things work pretty well and are an attempt to get you to like that company's product so you will spring for their paid version. The paid version is not necessarily better though.

I used the free version of BitDefender and it was an OK AV, seemed to do the job. BitDefender had a sale on their paid version, $29 for 3 computers for 1 year. I thought that seemed like a good deal so purchased it and installed it on 3 computers. The full version of BitDefender is the most obnoxious piece of software I have ever used. It's intrusive, constantly bugs you to add additional services, blocks execution of software it doesn't like (but doesn't tell you it is blocking it). I've already removed the BitDefender "virus" from one of my computers and will probably remove it from the other 2 two as well.

I tried the free version of BitDefender and wound up uninstalling it. In addition to the above, when it won't let you install a program that it doesn't like, you are not given the option of overriding that decision. A major flaw IMHO.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
I had a bout with SweetPacks and, for some reason, Malwarebytes didn't remove it. I finally ran Spyhunter in safe mode to get rid of it. It wouldn't do it in standard run mode.

likely because MalwareBytes either didn't "see" SweetPacks because your signature file hadn't been updated, the updated signature file didn't have the signature or 'fingerprint' of SweetPacks or, if it had been detected, the MalwareBytes engine is not engineered to remove that particular nasty. not every A/V, A/S and A/M software package will see all of the current crop of nasties.

this is why a layered approach works best. while running more than one A/V program may cause performace programs the same is generally not true for A/S and A/M software. couple that with a decent software AND hardware firewall and good internet habits and you'd have a decent defense.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I had a bout with SweetPacks and, for some reason, Malwarebytes didn't remove it. I finally ran Spyhunter in safe mode to get rid of it. It wouldn't do it in standard run mode.

drsteve wrote:
5er4evr wrote:
AVG or MSE read 2011

Not picking sides just reading and sharing.
That review is over three years old. MSE really is a poor choice for protection.

And that's the issue. Back in 2009, MSE received top reviews from a number of sources. In the last two years, MSE protection capabilities has dropped drastically. Though its still rated high on its malware repair capabilities. Which may be a moot point if an AV package is unable to detect that it has been exploited by malware in the first place. Which can lead a user into a false sense of security?

What's apparently clear is that Microsoft is no longer developing MSE to compete with other free AV packages. True, MSE is better than having nothing. But with superior AV detection software available for free, one must also ask why take the risk of relying on MSE, which could allow malware to slip by into one's system, that would be detected by most other AV?

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
Malwarebytes
CCleaner
Spybot - Search and Destroy.

All free products.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
It is worth noting too that all malware is not equally dangerous. Ad-ware tracking cookies? A minor, and very common, nuisance. Keyloggers and trojans that could potentially send your Visa card number and bank account passwords to some server in Russia? Not so minor. So when these programs find--as they often do--a bunch of supposed threats, it's usually nothing to get too excited over.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
5er4evr wrote:
AVG or MSE read 2011

That review is over three years old. MSE really is a poor choice for protection.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

5er4ever
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
steelpony5555 wrote:
Hmmmm pretty much a matter of opinion. It all depends on who you're talking too if it is good or not. There are just as many sites saying it is good as there are bad just like any of these programs. I have use MSE on previous computers and now Windows Defender with my windows 8.1.

Is that include Microsoft themselves? When Dennis Protection Labs posed the question of why MSE scored so poorly in their AV test, "Holly Stewart, the senior program manager of the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, said that Microsoft Security Essentials was just a โ€œbaselineโ€ thatโ€™s designed to โ€œalways be on the bottomโ€ of antivirus tests. She said Microsoft sees MSE as a first layer of protection and advises Windows users to use a third-party antivirus instead."

Please feel free to link to any AV review from reputable sites that claim MSE to be even comparable to other free AV software in terms of protection?

AVG or MSE read 2011

I have 2 computers with AVG and 5 with MSE.

My browsing habits are such that I don't expose them to a lot of risk.

Now one of them puppys I use to throw a lot at and nothing can seem to protect it. It sees all the stuff that looks interesting (software downloads) but am too cautious to try on other machines.

I just find that it is almost impossible to get honest unbiased reviews (like everything else - car magazines 4 one).

Everyone needs protection of some sort.

On that we agree.
Donโ€™t bother me. Iโ€™m living happily ever after. ๐Ÿ˜‰

steelpony5555 wrote:
Hmmmm pretty much a matter of opinion. It all depends on who you're talking too if it is good or not. There are just as many sites saying it is good as there are bad just like any of these programs. I have use MSE on previous computers and now Windows Defender with my windows 8.1.

Is that include Microsoft themselves? When Dennis Protection Labs posed the question of why MSE scored so poorly in their AV test, "Holly Stewart, the senior program manager of the Microsoft Malware Protection Center, said that Microsoft Security Essentials was just a โ€œbaselineโ€ thatโ€™s designed to โ€œalways be on the bottomโ€ of antivirus tests. She said Microsoft sees MSE as a first layer of protection and advises Windows users to use a third-party antivirus instead."

Please feel free to link to any AV review from reputable sites that claim MSE to be even comparable to other free AV software in terms of protection?

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm pretty much a matter of opinion. It all depends on who you're talking too if it is good or not. There are just as many sites saying it is good as there are bad just like any of these programs. I have use MSE on previous computers and now Windows Defender with my windows 8.1. I have never had any major problems with it and they always seem to work fairly well. Is it the best??? who knows.... But it along with one or two of the other free programs have kept mine up and running cleanly. Kinda like when Windows 8 came out and every body was running around saying bout what a terrible OP system it was??? Well sorry but if you learn about it I think it is fantastic. I hate to even use an old machine now. Also these are anti spyware programs too, for free anti virus then Avast is one of the better freebies.
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

steelpony5555 wrote:

PS If you have a pre Windows 8 OS use Microsoft Security Essentials. If you have a Windows 8 machine then MSE will not work on it but Windows Defender has been updated to be equivalent to MSE.

Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender may have been competitive years ago, but have tested consistently at or near the bottom for protection(detection) for some time through independent security testing.

Microsoft appears to have shifted their focus to providing security data to third party developers, and have lagged in their own free AV consumer product. Not really surprising, as its not an income generating operation, there being no paid consumer version available. And really doesn't make sense to incur additional expense of doing so when there are a number of free AV packages available from companies that do nothing but security development.

One has to ask the question if it really makes sense to rely on a product that lags behind other current free AV package in terms of detection? Which could allow enough of a hole to compromise one's system without the user even knowing it.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
For daily use: Malwarebytes. 2.0 is out and seems to be a bit better, although an AV product on the top of the heap today can end up at rock bottom tomorrow.

If I find malware:

I wipe all drives, reload from a known safe backup. This takes about an hour or two, and gets all my files and such back exactly as before.

For recovering a machine without backups: I save all files (and try to save off serial numbers and CD keys) off to 2-3 USB flash drives (so I have multiple copies), put USB flash drives in a safe place, boot up a copy of DBAN (Derik's Boot & Nuke), wipe all hard disks, then reinstall from scratch. That way, any malware is well gone.

If I have to use software to de-louse a machine, I'd use Malwarebytes as well, but I far prefer a clean install so there is no chance of some executable stub lurking in some odd place being able to reinstall the bad stuff.

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, and then Superantispyware and Malwarebytes for years. This combo has kept my system clean and running fine. Even when I get a bad bug, this combo although free, has found and killed it. I agree too that Norton and McAfee are virus in themselves. Just try to get them deleted off your machine... Dang near impossible.

PS If you have a pre Windows 8 OS use Microsoft Security Essentials. If you have a Windows 8 machine then MSE will not work on it but Windows Defender has been updated to be equivalent to MSE.
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!