cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Portable Automatic Satellite for Dish?

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
As many of you are aware, I've just switched to Dish - and honestly, I've been impressed with the service and the technology - which Directv doesn't seem to possess today.

That being said, I'm looking at getting a wally and an automated antenna.

As I've doing research there are three or four players in the Market - Winegard, Tailgater (not sure who makes it) King, and one more.

Since I'm a newbie at this there are western and eastern Arc Satellites and not all of the devices will work with both Arc's.

Since i'm looking to retire and travel this terrific country of ours I don't want to purchase something that will only work in one part of the country (western arc - since I'm Los Angeles based today).

Which of the devices can use both western and eastern arc?

Thanks in advance

Josh
20 REPLIES 20

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second Chance wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The Wally is also a 2 tuner receiver (despite any information you might read to the contrary). However, it appears the 2nd tuner is only operational when used with a standard DDP type LNB and not when used with the single LNB's used in dome style antennas.

Hmmm... you've piqued my interested, Bill. Are you saying that if I were to bother with setting up a 3 LNB antenna such as the 1000 or the rooftop Trav'ler, the Wally would sense that and enable the second tuner?

Yes. Many RVers are doing just that when you add an external hard-drive and have the DVR service setup with DISH.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
TechWriter wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The Wally is also a 2 tuner receiver (despite any information you might read to the contrary).

The Wally is a single-tuner receiver (unless you count the optional OTA tuner).

The Hopper Duo is a 2-tuner DVR receiver with a 500MB hard drive and built-in WiFi. The Duo is a VIP 722 replacement.

Both the Wally and Hopper Duo use the Hopper "carbon" user interface.

Check again, friend. The Wally IS a dual tuner satellite receiver AND you can add an OTA tuner. For whatever reason, when it was released the software only allowed the use of 1 tuner but a recent software update activated the 2nd tuner option. The 2nd tuner does not appear to work with a standard signal LNB setup such as used with a dome but many users are reporting success with both tuners with a DPP home style antenna/LNB setup. DBS Talk forum has confirmed this as well.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
jodeb720 wrote:
I've been told the 211 is the way to go - but what's the difference between the K or Z?

K has RV out (Chan 3/4) to an older TV. Z does not. That is the major difference I know of Only HDMI to the TV.

I do not know about other possible differences. But that is the obvious one. I have a "K" not currently in use.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The Wally is also a 2 tuner receiver (despite any information you might read to the contrary).

The Wally is a single-tuner receiver (unless you count the optional OTA tuner).

The Hopper Duo is a 2-tuner DVR receiver with a 500MB hard drive and built-in WiFi. The Duo is a VIP 722 replacement.

Both the Wally and Hopper Duo use the Hopper "carbon" user interface.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
The discontinued 211 K, but still available had a built in OTA tuner that I understand would scan for channels and add them to your guide.

Bigger tho.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill.Satellite wrote:
The Wally is also a 2 tuner receiver (despite any information you might read to the contrary). However, it appears the 2nd tuner is only operational when used with a standard DDP type LNB and not when used with the single LNB's used in dome style antennas.

Hmmm... you've piqued my interested, Bill. Are you saying that if I were to bother with setting up a 3 LNB antenna such as the 1000 or the rooftop Trav'ler, the Wally would sense that and enable the second tuner?
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
jodeb720 wrote:
So a Wally is better than a 211. That answers that.

A Wally is newer than a 211, but not necessarily better.

Here's the "211 Family" . . .

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
So a Wally is better than a 211. That answers that.

is there a model number the wally or is it something like 411 (which I've seen)?

Larry-D
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2. The arc you're nearer may be blocked by trees. Very rare it can't hit one of the arcs if the other one is blocked. We're running 200' of coax with no problems with the Wallys.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
jodeb720 wrote:
I've been told the 211 is the way to go - but what's the difference between the K or Z?

The Wally is the latest in the 211 series and has a more modern interface and firmware. Both the 211Z and the Wally can have a hard drive added to turn them into a single-tuner DVR. The 211's, however, only accept USB-2 hard drives (getting harder to find) where the Wally is USB-3 (easier to find and also faster).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
WInegard Pathway X-2 is the only portable I'd recommend.. WHY.

Larger than the x-1 which is larger than all the competitors. Larger = More gain = Stronger signals.. It can also be set to use the EASTERN ARC as well as the west so if you visit say Myrtle Beach. Still good.

That said I do not recommend portable domes or any dome at this time.

IF you use a SINGLE VIP-211@ receiver (The @ can be a K or Z or any letter) then a dome will work well. but if you use a dual channel Receiver/DVR or multiple receivers Domes are not a good choice. a DISH 1000 "Dish" type antenna is. and it only takes a few minutes to set one up once you learn how.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jodeb720
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Everybody! You've helped me make the decision so much easier!

josh