cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WiFi options

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I've been going crazy with this one... My wife needs to connected most of the time. Give me suggestions to get good WiFi signal in my motorhome. (Preferably below 300.00)
Proud father of a US Marine
20 REPLIES 20

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
While camping in RV parks without adequate Wi-Fi, I often see other Verizon Jetpacks listed as available networks.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Verizon Jetpack Mi-Fi, with Wilson Antenna and Booster.

+2
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
I know the difference. I also understand what people mean when they say "wifi" and don't find fault with them for it.

Yes, and Bill was only explaining the proper terms, not finding fault,.....if you can understand that w/o finding fault.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
I know the difference. I also understand what people mean when they say "wifi" and don't find fault with them for it.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
GMandJM wrote:
People often use "wi-fi" to mean an Internet hotspot. Hardly anyone uses the term "cellular".

WiFi is NOT cellular and that's why I pointed out the dramatic differences. I have a cellular connection in my coach but I am currently in an RV park with awesome WiFi which I am too far away from to receive. I have ordered hardware that will change that scenario and allow me to use their free service (which I am paying for in my monthly rent) and save my cellular data.
I would love to do a 2GB update to my GPS and I would love to be streaming some videos but I would never do either of these on my limited cellular data plan.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Verizon MiFi and it uses cell data and creates a WiFi network for the rig and at home. Easy to use but you get the monthly bill. We use it for 2 laptops, a tablet and printer, all wireless. Ditto for the same capability from a phone.

Information in the above link will allow you to use much more distance WiFi locations if they are free or you have their password. I'm considering one set of hardware for under $200 for those times when for various reasons I don't want to use the MiFi.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
This thread will lead you to some of the best equipment available for WiFi as in CG WiFi vs WiFi from your phone etc. Some of the equipment is not plug and play and requires some initial setup.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
People often use "wi-fi" to mean an Internet hotspot. Hardly anyone uses the term "cellular".
It's his Super Power!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
WiFi and Cellular are 2 completely different beasts and require completely different hardware. Cellular has a month service contract and limited data but it available Nationwide (but not out in the boonies). WiFi is only available when parked at a location broadcasting a signal, you are close enough to receive it and my be awesome or terrible (usually slow when a park if full). What is it that you "need".
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I'll entertain both options
Proud father of a US Marine

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
in our old MH I used a RadioLabs Wave RV external antenna/wifi adapter mounted to our crank up batwing antenna. that really helped to capture a park's wifi signal as well as signals within a 3-5 mile radius.

very soon now we're taking delivery of a new class A without a winegard crank up so looking for a different solution. I recall reading about a way using a standard router that would capture the park's wifi signal and convert that to a secure wifi signal for use within the RV. can't recall which router or any other details. I'm looking into a MiFi/Wilson sleek, air card with cradle point and just using the tablet or phone's hotspot but I'd rather use the park's wifi signal as much as possible and any edge or way of maximizing that signal.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
suprz wrote:
I've been going crazy with this one... My wife needs to connected most of the time. Give me suggestions to get good WiFi signal in my motorhome. (Preferably below 300.00)

You don't need WiFi, you need a cellular internet connection. At least that's what all the responses "assume".
WiFi is the service you might find at a campground or McDonald's. Unless I misunderstand your needs, anyway. If you are in one location long term and you are simply trying to get a better connection to the parks existing WiFi just let us know and we can re-direct our answers.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Verizon Jetpack Mi-Fi, with Wilson Antenna and Booster.

X2. We have the Wilson Sleek

Same, although we've not used/needed a booster with our Verizon JetPack.

If your wife really needs to stay connected, no matter where you are, definitely look into the Wilson boosters.
It's his Super Power!

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon Jetpack Mi-Fi. Model : MIFI5510L... 2 years now.