Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 Update issue - KB 3004394

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
Issue for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
We have found that this update is causing additional problem on computers that are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This includes the inability to install future updates.

The KB 3004394 update does not cause any known problems on the other systems for which it is released. We recommend that you install the update on the other systems.

An update is available to remove KB 3004394 from Windows 7 SP1-based and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1-based computers
Microsoft Support
14 REPLIES 14

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
rsmith159 wrote:
fj12ryder......

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3004394

seems to suggest the 4394 update is for Windows 8.1

Rick in Cobourg
It's possible, but I updated a Windows 8.1 computer Thursday night, and it didn't show up then. I looked at the past updates and it didn't show up anywhere. Dunno.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
SCR wrote:
While there were updates for Silverlight included in this months cycle KB 3004394 was a root certificate update according to the link in my original post. MS removed KB 3004394 and issued KB 3024777 to remove the first had you installed it.

Contrary to the initial recommendation by MS to uninstall KB 3004394 they instead now say to use KB 3024777. If you did not install the 4394 update before MS removed it or you uninstalled it you will not see KB 3024777.

I elected to restore my system from a image I always make prior to the MS updates for just this reason. I have turned MS Updates off as they seem to be having some pretty serious issues considering this update cycle and the one that screwed things up in recent months.

KB 3004394 was installed or I should say I allowed it to be installed 12/10/14 as I prefer only notice of updates because of limits on data use. I had no noticeable difference in machine performance after the update. On 12/12/14 I received and installed KB 3034777 still don't see any problems. Life goes on, no harm no foul.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

rsmith159
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder......

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3004394

seems to suggest the 4394 update is for Windows 8.1

Rick in Cobourg
2008 Trail Lite Crossover 180T
2010 Ram 2WD Hemi

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
While there were updates for Silverlight included in this months cycle KB 3004394 was a root certificate update according to the link in my original post. MS removed KB 3004394 and issued KB 3024777 to remove the first had you installed it.

Contrary to the initial recommendation by MS to uninstall KB 3004394 they instead now say to use KB 3024777. If you did not install the 4394 update before MS removed it or you uninstalled it you will not see KB 3024777.

I elected to restore my system from a image I always make prior to the MS updates for just this reason. I have turned MS Updates off as they seem to be having some pretty serious issues considering this update cycle and the one that screwed things up in recent months.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
The original update mentioned by OP (KB 3004394) came with about a dozen updates on Tuesday 12/9/14. It was a fix for the previous month's problem with a "Silverlight" issue. "Silverlight" is a coding program similar to Flash, etc. which is mostly obsolete now days.

The problems were mostly effecting certain servers and business versions of Windows7 SP1. Inability to update Windows being one of the problems. Since I run "Windows7 Premium, SP1 and don't use "Silverlight" I have had no problems with any of the updates.

It should be noted that the updates issued about 2 days ago, and again today, 12/13/14, were for fixes to "Silverlight". "1492" most likely missed out on the KB3004392 update by waiting a few days.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
It didn't appear as an update for Win7 Ultimate SP1 on my 64-bit system.

I, long ago, stopped Automatic Updates. I also usually wait a few days before installing, hoping any bugs/quirks are worked out before I install.

My system is set to notify me when updates are available. Then I review the updates before downloading and installing, and select only the ones I want to install.

Have quit installing the Malicious Software updates because it takes forever to scan the four hard drives on my system, hours and hours. Too many photos on external drives, I guess.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
It was installed 12-10 on my HP laptop and had new updates 12-12 with were successful so I guess I'm good to go.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
rsmith159 wrote:
My Windows 7 system got upgraded today and my computer went completely whacko, programs not responding, dead slow, really unusable. I managed to do a system restore to before the upgrade and things were back to normal. It appears to me this update is for Windows 8 and not Windows 7 and the comments about no problems with Win 7 are incorrect. I have turned off automatic updates and I will decline anything for Win 8 or features that have nothing to do with me.

Rick in Cobourg
Pretty much incorrect all the way around. The update doesn't come up with Windows 8.1 and it did update on my Windows 7 computer and everything still works fine. I am going to uninstall it anyway, but that's just to be on the safe side.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

I haven't yet done December's monthly updates as I don't have auto updates enabled. Only notifications.

Since its not in my update queue, MS must have already pulled it for WIN 7 SP1 if you haven't updated when it was released.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Originally installed 12/10/2014 and can be repaired with link below.

More info here. This update fixes it.
FIX

Mine auto uploaded the fix.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

rsmith159
Explorer
Explorer
My Windows 7 system got upgraded today and my computer went completely whacko, programs not responding, dead slow, really unusable. I managed to do a system restore to before the upgrade and things were back to normal. It appears to me this update is for Windows 8 and not Windows 7 and the comments about no problems with Win 7 are incorrect. I have turned off automatic updates and I will decline anything for Win 8 or features that have nothing to do with me.

Rick in Cobourg
2008 Trail Lite Crossover 180T
2010 Ram 2WD Hemi

I can't find this KB 3004394 update as being installed on my WIN 7 systems? :h I wonder when it was originally issued?

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Just notified about this by the latest Windows Update that removes it. It hasn't caused any issues with me but you never know.

There has been a range of issues caused by this update, one being that Windows Update stops working. Not all systems are affected and those that are do not necessarily have the same issues.

I started receiving some errors in event viewer and my boot time increased.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just notified about this by the latest Windows Update that removes it. It hasn't caused any issues with me but you never know.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"