cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard Carryout G2+ Satellite Dish

LaRea
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering buying a Winegard Carryout G2+ Satellite dish and would like some feedback from anyone who has one and what experience you have had with it.
14 REPLIES 14

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, it will work with the power inserter. You will install the power inserter between the receiver INPUT and the antenna (the coax that runs from the antenna to the receiver). This has nothing at all to do with the OUTPUT connections we have been discussing.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
I have the original Carryout and the G2. Both have performed well. I have no problems with rain fade that are worse than my open dish at home. I kind of use it as a storm warning.

Should be no problem doing what Bill is helping you with. I do the same. On one motor home I use an A/B switch on the other two diplexers.

I kind of like the noise as I can tell when it has found the satellite. I then disconnect the power.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

titleman
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a G2 for several years and really liked it but sold it along with my fifth wheel. I have now bought a new Class C MH that is not equipped with an outside Sat. hookup so I am having to do some modifying in order to have Sat, cable and O/A available. Bill.Satellite has given me instructions how to accomplish this but do not know if the G2+ with power power inserter will work with the way I will be hooking things up. Just dont know whether to purchase the new model or not. Sure sounds good.
Titleman
2017 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

justme
Explorer
Explorer
It is all about S/N. Assuming they use similar FETs the reflector size makes for more S/N. I have the G2 and my neighbor has the pathway. We both use the same satellite. Mine cuts out more often than the pathway that has a larger reflector when the rain comes. BTY, I use it in Florida where the Sat's are high in the sky.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just FYI, the new version is also quieter than the old version. This was a MUST or some of the OEM's were not going to install them!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
Have had G2 on roof for almost two years and 14,000 miles. Works great from NW WA to SE FL and everywhere inbetween. Does get usable gignal thru light tree cover. Signal degrades during bigger storms. Bought it for modest price, Dish or Dirct by flipping a switch in dome, roof or portable. Mounted ours on roof and still have option to use it in portable mode if needed with purchase of second power cord. Understand newest version gets power thru coax so transition from fixed to portable will be much easier. With roof top it is a bit noisy while searching for sat. Once sat found only short burst of noise when you change to watch program on a different sat.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unless those clouds are thunderheads, you will see no different in preformance between a G2 and a Pathway (or an open faced antenna for that matter). Seriously heavy cloud cover or rain can knock out both of these domes signals as well. For the very best performance you need an open face, full sized, antenna.

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I would the get what ever has the largest dish to produce the highest Signal to Noise ratio. The smaller ones are ok until clouds show up or other items like tree that reduce the signal. The Carryout G2 and similar are ok for non-cloudy days, but the pathway would do better because it has a larger reflector.

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
We have had one since April when we mounted it on the roof of our new Hurricane. As others have said, with DirecTV you won't get HD but we also needed to be able to watch our football games (I'm a Packers fan, the wife is a Bills fan... poor thing!) and SD is good enough for us. For Dish it will work for HD programming.

At some point down the road we may upgrade to a Trav'ler for HD but for us this was a good solution.

On our previous RV we used the Pathway X1 dome for Dish. We first used it as a portable, but then mounted it on the roof and liked it there. However, we also switched to DirecTV at home so the Pathway no longer worked for us.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
I've had one since September 2014. SD is fine with us and we needed NFL Sunday Ticket to be sure to get all the Green Bay Packer games.

Now why would someone want to do that? Go figger. Oh, I get it. To watch Von Miller! Or is it Brock...

Sorry, didn't mean to open old wounds. :B
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
I've had one since September 2014. SD is fine with us and we needed NFL Sunday Ticket to be sure to get all the Green Bay Packer games. Today there is heavy overcast and rain and we are getting occasional breakup on some channels, but most of the time we get everything just fine.

Currently in Ashland, WI
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Carryout G2+ is a good antenna and builds on the older G2 but with the addition of a power inserter which eliminates the need for a separate power cord. If you are a DirecTV customer you still cannot receive ANY DirecTV HD programming and if you are a Dish customer you can get HD but you can only view 1 satellite at at time (Dish uses 3).
Tell us more about what service you want to use and what your requirements are and we should be able to give you some additional details.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

cekkk
Explorer
Explorer
Put Winegard Carryout G2 into the search box on this page. Do not use the plus sign.
'11 Eagle 320RLDS '02 Ford F350 DRW 7.3 PSD
"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing" - Albert Einstein."