cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard Movin View: How to change sat settings under dome?

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
My new rig has an old Movin View which has circular clock-like settings for the sats.
It is currently set to 119 and I have DTV so need 101.
Can I do this from the screen setup or under the dome?

The PDF shows the vertical type switches in a row that seem to indicate that this is how you change sats but my equipment under the dome only has the circular and they are not changeable..
Where ever I go, there I am!
30 REPLIES 30

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to find the coax coming from the roof antenna to the satellite receiver. Without that cable, nothing else matters.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
If that is true, where then would one plug one's TV coax into?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is likely that none of that has anything to do with your roof mounted satellite antenna.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Bill, yes most of what you suggest I am aware of and this is an old string now..
Regarding the coax, I will do as you suggest. I see everything looks clean and solid in the machinery under the dome but no response last attempt. It has been a while since I am working on my solar.
I am using the standard DVR and will post pics again.
As for the existing coax routing or re-routing, I had another question about the existing interior coax. I have 2 coax sets
and not sure why? Here are some shots..

Here you see two coax but looks like the lower one could
be for the Video Game setup which I have no knowledge on.
(the silver switches are for fans)

and here's a better shot looking up at what
appears to be the main TV connection area.
I wonder what that small black plunger switch if for?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove the dome and run a new coax directly from the receiver to the silver electronics box inside the dome. Now you can tell if the dome works or not and then work your way backward from there.
I am assuming you are not using a receiver from your home. If you are, it's likely setup for SWM which does not put out any voltage. You would need to go into the receiver setup and use the Repeat Satellite Setup routine to change it to 18" round antenna and Mulitswitch (not SWM) to get the receiver to send voltage. You cannot use a Genie / Client or H25 receiver.

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
"coax in"

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, there is no voltage in a coax cable coming from a dome. However, if you connect the coax to the satellite receiver and then measure the voltage in the coax inside the dome you will find 13v and/or 18v (alternates between the 2 for odd and even transponders)

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
Well hello again Bill, I am so glad to hear that is the case..
Do you suppose he is only trying to sell me a new dome??

That being said, explains why the good folks at Winegard are really attempting to assist.. One thing however, I did meter the coax "in" this morning to the dome area and got nothing so I wonder how to proceed.. should be 12V right?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO! Your dealer is not properly informed (spell that stupid!). It IS true that Dish changed the way they broadcast their signal rendering this dome incapable of receiving Dish programming. This has nothing at all to do with DirecTV and there remain no issues receiving the DirecTV SD programming from the 101 satellite Nationwide.

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys, just checking in on this string again. I have been working on other more important stuff on my TC like solar and just now returned to the old Movin' View quandary..

So I called in to my local huge RV Dealer and just asked about this old dome. The tech informed me that neither Directv or Dish can use this dome as it is obsolete where software is regarded which makes sense since it is from the 90's which is a long time ago now..

What I am wondering is this: if this is true, why then would the Winegard people spend so much time on the phone with me trying to get it to work...? and also if this is true, all the responses by all the pro's here on this site didn't know it either??? Odd..

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bill, thanks again for your help. I appreciate the feedback on the cellular program. As for my sat quandary, I will try option #1 which of course is available.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
As to the receiver setup, I find it hard to believe they have removed option #1 when your picture shows you are using option #2. My current HD receivers show that option so I can't imagine why yours does not.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, I would not recommend using any device which requires cellular access to watch TV. Satellite is really the only logical choice here if you will be traveling.
Many posts have been made about this being a MLM scheme including many calling it a scam. Even without that, it would be so expensive to find a good cellular plan that works everywhere you plan to travel and allows enough data for regular TV viewing I would still not recommend it.

DesertMax
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Bill, I am interacting with you exactly because of your obvious qualifications and hope you don't mind a few more questions..

The Triniti Ursa: Do you like it, would you or have you used it and would you recommend it luck notwithstanding?

On the old Movin View, we have a disconnect. I totally trust that you yourself understand what you are instructing me to do but I don't find the choice you want me to make.. It's not among the multiple choice choices???