cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard Rayzar Automatic

QuiGonJohn
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished replacing the CRT TV in my RV with a Flat Panel LED.

Now my next project is to replace the crank up Winegard with a Winegard Rayzar Automatic Dome.

I was going to buy and have this installed at Camping World or maybe installed at my local RV Shop, as I am unsure about me actually putting the holes in the roof or worrying if I sealed the old holes good enough or if the unit is secure enough.

But, I am concerned that either place will not take all the specifics of the install and setup that I want. Has anyone ever tackled a job like this and if so, can you give me a sense of how difficult it might be?

I read a lot of bad reviews for work done at CW in general and Ft Myers (the one I would probably use), as well.
22 REPLIES 22

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would love to see the Winegard Rayzar auto against a properly aimed Sensar III with Wingman.. But alas when the last set of independent lab tests I saw came out this was NOT an option.

Oh, the Wingman equipped Sensar III beat all other devices in the lab test

I added the SENSAR PRO to my system... IN a recent side by side with a jack I detected 5 stations to their 4.. Park has free cable.... I am currently watching a re-run of the original SUPERMAN TV show.. It comes in BETTER off the Wingard than off the cable.. How's that for performance (Without the sensar pro I'd not be able to watch save by cable) My DVR's are smart enough to use multiple inputs.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the new digital signals, height is might so anything lower is going to perform less well with all other things being equal. It sounds like you have some mobility issue that makes pulling the ring down as you turn an issue. If that's the case then something that would be more comfortable makes more sense than the performance loss.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

QuiGonJohn
Explorer
Explorer
Besides cranking up my Sensar, the biggest drawback is in order to rotate mine, I have to pull down on the plate as I rotate. I imagine some other installations do not. And I see that the Full King Jack install you do not have to do that. Again, I really like the automatic functioning of the Rayzar Automatic, but am concerned about reliability and installation issues.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many have. Many are happy and many have changed back to the Winegard. Reviews on this site show the Winegard Sensar out performs the other antennas but some prefer the smaller footprint even though the performance is reduced. You might want to let us know why you want to make a change.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

QuiGonJohn
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone switch from the batwing (Winegard Sensar Crank Up) to one of the King Jack OTA antennas (either the full kit or just the head replacement)? Like to hear feedback on that.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would have tested the Rayzar Automatic as I have had a Sensar, Sensar with Wingman, Sensar IV (same thing), Sensar automatic and currently the Rayzar Air (mounted to the Senar automatic hardware). The instructions for the new Rayzar dome says it can't be used on a metal roof so that takes my option out.
I still don't see anyway that this antenna will preform as well as a tall antenna. If the TV tower is coming from one side of your A/C unit and the dome is on the other side, the signal will still be reduced.

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
jorbill2or wrote:
I'll wait for more reviews on the dome I wish someone would make a motorized automatic "batwing"

Jorbill2or, sorry but you're about a year too late.

They did make a motorized Sensar (MA1000W), but it was discontinued last year, due to lack of interest. (We have 1, because of DW's disability.)

Let's see how the automatic Rayzar does.

QuiGonJohn
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Take a look at the posts by JCVJeff. You simply cannot beat the Sensar technology as of today.

Can you link us to the posts you are talking about? I did not see any in this thread and did a search by his handle on the forum and came up empty.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a look at the posts by JCVJeff. You simply cannot beat the Sensar technology as of today.

QuiGonJohn
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a comparison of a bat-wing vs. Rayzar Automatic. You can judge for yourself. Seems like the bat-wing does a little better overall, but the Rayzar is not too bad for the extra convenience.

http://www.fifthwheelmagazine.com/winegard-rayzar-automatic-antenna-review.html

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
When my unidirectional needs replacing, I am going to look hard at Omni.

Good luck with that! If you want to see your TV pixelate just go to an omni.

It's a nice theory. Would prefer to see it for real, with a real comparison.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

Good luck with that! If you want to see your TV pixelate just go to an omni.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If you want to make it super easy then just add the Sensar Pro to your current Winegard antenna (about $80). Now, when you get to a new location you turn that on, raise the antenna and rotate until you see the highest signal strength (about 10 seconds). Done!

That's what I did, works great.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
I have to disagree on the winegard and its added doodads.

I added the UHF booster and the SensarPro. Ehhh. Not much, if any better.

The big problem with this system is if you want to change channels. It is not, set up and your done. Well, I guess it could be if you never change channels.

Soon as you do, you need to readjust most of the time or deal with pixilation, etc. Lousy.

When we dumped cable a 2 years ago, we had an antenna company come in. They put an omnidirectional on a 20 foot pole on top of our 2 story house. We get clear channels up to 30 miles away and still good up to 45 miles. It must be all about getting those antenna's up high (38 total channels and sub-channels).

I would like to see some professional online review comparing omnidirectional antenna to the batwing, and seeing real picture differences.
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB