Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winegard Roof

ocexpress
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone,
On my new to me motorhome there is a G2 Winegard satellite dish set up on it.
I cannot for the life of me, figure out how the coax is wired from the winegard unit to the tv's.
I hook up the receiver from the output of the winegard unit to the satellite on the receiver. Then I have a converter that converts the the component jacks and plugged the component to the receiver and have tried every combination of coax in the entertainment bin but cannot get the direct tv to appear on the tv?
The component adapter says either channel 3 or 4 but the tv wont recognize 3 or 4 as a channel.
What about the jack that says from roof satellite?
Does anyone have a diagram on how these things are set up?
Help.
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35'
12 REPLIES 12

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do have access, you just need to figure out how to get to it. Since you don't know what's plugged into the TV, everything else is worthless until you can check the cabling.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ocexpress
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the cover off the top bin and behind found a component cable plugged into a hdmi adapter. I located the hdmi cable and plugged that directly into the receiver. Still nothing. I tried component, hdmi, and and antenna.
I do not have access to the back of the 48" TV in the galley so that is where I stand.
Thank you for this post! You guys rock.
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35'

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let start fresh here. Before you have any concerns about the antenna on the roof you appear to not have a proper connection between the TV and the satellite receiver and that's what you are looking for help with.
Are you using an adapter to convert the Yellow, Red, White RCA cables from the DirecTV receiver to a coax output? I assume that this is the unit that requires you to use channel 3/4 on your TV. If so, this is also usually powered and needs to be plugged in. From that converter the first thing you want to do is run a new piece of coax directly to the back of the TV and do a new channel scan with everything connected and powered up. Be sure the TV is set to Antenna and NOT Cable before you scan and it will find analog channel 3 or 4. This will get you a good starting point.
Once you have the direct connections working you are going to need to work backward to make the necessary adjustments.
If you are trying to see this signal on multiple TV's in the RV then you should have some kind of a switch box with buttons labeled Ant, Cable, Aux, ect. If not then the coach may not be set for sharing and you are going to have to modify some wiring by adding an A/B switch but I need to know more about your setup. If you only need the satellite TV to show up on the TV where the receiver is located then just install an A/B switch that would allow you to select the current OTA/Cable option or push the switch and watch satellite TV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some of the antenna power supplies will allow satellite to pass through when they are in the off position.
If you did power the dish through the old antenna power supply, that could be your problem.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ocexpress
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Do you have the antenna power supply switch turned off?
I would call Winegard!

No does that matter?
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35'

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have the antenna power supply switch turned off?
I would call Winegard!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
CW is the last place I would take it.

Instead of messing around with composite adapters, why not buy a $130 flat screen from Walmart and connect with HDMI.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ocexpress
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot figure out how to get the direct tv screen on my tv at all. Bummer. Maybe I will have to take it in to camping world or some place. Good point about not worrying about the sat until I can see the direct tv portion.
I did verify the dip switches are set as per the manual sent above.
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35'

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Are you sure dip switches are set to Directv?
Make sure the cable from the dish goes straight to the receiver.
Verify that the output from the receiver goes to the TV.
It should come up automatically to the DirectTV screen and input. If it does not then cabling is incorrect and goes through some device.
I have a video switch to change from different inputs. Cable, antenna and satelite

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would try to get the Directv screen on the tv before worrying about the sat dish/satbox connection. You should get the Directv logo or the sales channel (100)? with no dish attached.

You mention connecting the dish to a receiver; do you mean sat box?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ocexpress
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for that manual. It helps. Yes the power supply appears to be hooked up as the manual requests. When you want to watch your direct TV instead of the antenna how do you set the tv input? I cannot get the tv to recognize channel 3 or 4 at all. No view of direct tv menu on screen at all
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35'

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you located the power supply to the antenna dish?
Does the antenna make any noise?
Manual

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow