cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ZTE Mobley with ATT unlimited plan to replace my HughesNet

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am NOT a Tech so excuse me if I use the wrong terms.

I did not want to hijack an other posting.

Assume I use a ZTE Mobley with ATT unlimited plan to replace my HughesNet at my S&B home when I am not on the road in my RV. I will also be able to move the ZTE Mobley to my TT while I am on the road.

In my S&B home I will need to connect the Mobley to my existing Ethernet and Wireless router. I do not think the Mobley has an Ethernet connection am I correct. . . . . :h . . . My problem would be solved if the Mobley had the Ethernet connection.

Questions?

1. Will all or most Ethernet & wireless LAN routers connect wireless to the Mobley? What special words do I need to look for when purchasing a new router/WIFI booster/extender/router.

2. Since I will have 2 wireless networks (the Mobley and the Ethernet/WIFI router) in the home, when I move from room to room will my (say laptop) automatically switch from one network to the other or will I need to log out/in to the different networks.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
48 REPLIES 48

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
I use this Wifi As a Wan device.

Here's a device that does the same thing and costs $26:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FJ4S9JK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this with my MiFi Jetpack.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the Mobley at home and while on the road.

I use this Wifi As a Wan device.

Works great.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:

So you all realize that when used in your vehicle plugged into the OBD port the Mobley can and will upload vehicle data to AT&T?

I opted for a used AT&T Unity MiFi device purchased from eBay for $50. I then activated it on my AT&T plan which has shared data. No chance of big brother watching my driving habits or it being stored away in the cloud. Works at home, in the car, etc.

The pinout of the Mobley has only two conductors. Big Bro is not watching.

Not your OBDII information anyway.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

AMOS33
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a ZTE Mobley with AT&T's unlimited plan for $20 a month and I do like it. I use it in my vehicle and also at home since I also purchased an adapter for it. Did all this before July 17th.

Here are two examples : 1 with the ZTE Mobley inside my RV:

And the 2nd one inside my RV using Powerline Comms (PLC):

"No matter how far you go...there you are?"

2006 Jay Flight 31 BHDS

lexi51
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
lexi51 wrote:
They said in the other forum the mobley can't read anything from your vehicle, its a hotspot only.

Yes it certainly does, it's par of AT&T's effort to connect your vehicle and provide services like lock unlock (as mentioned), etc...

Sorry but your incorrect, the mobley can't do any of that,its just a hotspot. It even says so in the manual, it is only pulling power from the car port, it can't read codes or anything.

This is exactly what ZTE says about it.

The ZTE Mobley has no telematics interface with the OBD port and it cannot access any other pins outside of the power supply. Utilizing the OBD port delivers a semi-permanent solution that provides a more embedded Connected Car experience.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only ports on the Mobley that are used are the #4 and #16 which is power and ground. There are no other metal connectors on the Mobley. I can't see anywhere that any other data could be collected.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
lexi51 wrote:
They said in the other forum the mobley can't read anything from your vehicle, its a hotspot only.

Yes it certainly does, it's par of AT&T's effort to connect your vehicle and provide services like lock unlock (as mentioned), etc...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

MrWizard
If and when you buy other 'On Star' Services
Then they have access to vehicle location, etc.. If you have the on star pkg and on star Wi-Fi
This device was designed to interface with the vehicle cpu and um lock your car, call for help in car of an accident or emergency etc.

The vehicle data service is fairly new, designed to keep the kids entertained while traveling
The stand alone $20 unlimited is something new a price match with new Chevy purchase option price
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

lexi51
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
So you all realize that when used in your vehicle plugged into the OBD port the Mobley can and will upload vehicle data to AT&T?

I opted for a used AT&T Unity MiFi device purchased from eBay for $50. I then activated it on my AT&T plan which has shared data. No chance of big brother watching my driving habits or it being stored away in the cloud. Works at home, in the car, etc.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
good news
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gulfcoast wrote:
My point was the Mobley is designed for vehicle use and that's what I agreed to sign up for with ATT.

Satellite internet was never meant to be used in an RV but has been for many years. Not sure what your point is but I did not have any agreement with AT&T to use it in my car and nothing on any paperwork anywhere says it will be used in a car. New uses are found for things all the time. This happens to be one of those.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You may have a problem with a BELKIN router.. i do,, others I can not tell you about but the others I've used no tribbles.

You should be able to move it so long as you have service

I use such a device on occasion with a different carrier.. have not tried to connect my Belkin to it yet as... Well... No signal where the Belkin sits at this time,, This will change.. The ability to use both it and my Phone as a hot spot is kind of nice.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sch911
Explorer
Explorer

OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
My point was the Mobley is designed for vehicle use and that's what I agreed to sign up for with ATT.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gulfcoast wrote:
The Mobley is not designed for home use.

I use mine exclusively at home. Works great with the 120V adapter. There is also a USB adapter available with will allow you to tether to a router is your router also allows an internet connection via WiFi.