cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ZTE Mobley with ATT unlimited plan to replace my HughesNet

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I am NOT a Tech so excuse me if I use the wrong terms.

I did not want to hijack an other posting.

Assume I use a ZTE Mobley with ATT unlimited plan to replace my HughesNet at my S&B home when I am not on the road in my RV. I will also be able to move the ZTE Mobley to my TT while I am on the road.

In my S&B home I will need to connect the Mobley to my existing Ethernet and Wireless router. I do not think the Mobley has an Ethernet connection am I correct. . . . . :h . . . My problem would be solved if the Mobley had the Ethernet connection.

Questions?

1. Will all or most Ethernet & wireless LAN routers connect wireless to the Mobley? What special words do I need to look for when purchasing a new router/WIFI booster/extender/router.

2. Since I will have 2 wireless networks (the Mobley and the Ethernet/WIFI router) in the home, when I move from room to room will my (say laptop) automatically switch from one network to the other or will I need to log out/in to the different networks.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
48 REPLIES 48

zenasboy
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought one last week to replace our local internet provider which had recently become worthless in terms of being able to use in the evenings.

I got the mobley online from Best Buy and then took to my local BestBuy to activate it. Purchased an AC power adaptor from Amazon and it's been smooth sailing since. Getting speeds up to 15Mbps vs the 0.2 we'd get in the evenings with our old provider.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are presently using HughesNet satellite service because you have no cell phone service the Mobley will not work. Make sure you are in an area where you can receive AT&T cell phone service.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The Mobley will work fine in your home with an available 120VAC power adapter. To connect it to your home network, your router needs be one of the makes/models with a "WiFi as WAN" feature that will let it connect to the Mobley's Wifi. With that connection, if you connect your other devices to the router instead of the Mobley, there will be no need for anything to switch networks as you move around the house and out of range of the Mobley. I use a Cradlepoint MBR95 for my "WiFi as WAN" router, but that model has been superseded by the MBR1200 as I recall. PEPwave and WiFiRanger are two other popular brands for "WiFi as WAN" routers. My Mobley just arrived at my mail forwarders, so I haven't had a chance to play with one yet, but I'll be setting it up for both 120-volt and 12-volt portable operation with suitable adapters. I also have AT&T's 250GB/mo $60 plan with unlimited phone service, but that unit is a bit bulky for portable use. The Mobley and the $20 unlimited plan will make a nice addition to my connectivity and be almost as portable as a standalone hotspot.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
The Mobley is not designed for home use.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer