cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1990s 2000s Ford engines in motorhome

rhudson1111
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone I'm new here and preparing to purchase my first motorhome. Looking for those with experience w 1990s 2000s Ford engines in their rig. I owned a Ford vehicle once upon a time. Like in the 1980s, it was the biggest lemon of all time! Hence, I've not touched the Flrd brand since ?? I realize RV engines a totally different animal and would like to ask if you find 1990s/2000s Ford motorhome engines to be reliable? I don't want to overlook a good deal just because the Ford brand is on it, however, if these engines also not built well, I'd like some heads-up. I will certainly get a pre-purchase inspection, but looking for your experiences. Many thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Harvey51 wrote:

My only worry is being afraid to change a dual wheel tire. Time to get insurance for roadside help as we camp mostly in remote regions.

Assuming you have the right tools (an appropriate jack and lug wrench, etc.), changing one of the dually wheels for the spare isn't really any different from changing a front wheel. It's exactly the same process, and the lug nut torques are the same. The jacking point, on the axle under the spring mount, is maybe a tiny bit harder to get access to; but it's not that far buried. Of course, if it's an inner tire that needs changing, you do have to remove the outer to get to the inner, and replace it afterwards.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2004 E350 in 2008. No mechanical problems so far. After reading about spark plug problems I looked for a shop with knowledgeable mechanic. Now my feeling that our beloved C is half way through its lifetime I asked the owner/chief mechanic to change spark plugs and their coils plus basic maintenance things like transmission and cooling system fluid changes. The mechanic said there was no problem changing spark plugs and no need for new coils. He appreciated me bringing it in during the not so busy winter time and bringing it Home when busy.. After 6 months itโ€™s all finished except for shocks and rear end oil change.

I changed oil every September, fuel filter once, and of course tires. I modified the radio so it can be used when the engine is off. Added a rear facing camera, house battery monitor, replaced propane leak alarm and CO alarm.

My only worry is being afraid to change a dual wheel tire. Time to get insurance for roadside help as we camp mostly in remote regions.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
Gjac wrote:
I would look at MH's that were 2006 or newer. Both Ford or Chevy had engine and chassis improvements beginning that year HP was 362 and 340 respectively. Chevy had the better transmission but both were much better than previous years.

It's perhaps worth noting that the Ford E series chassis used for class C motorhomes doesn't have the higher-power version of the V10 engine (the three-valve version). There have been various improvements in the V10 over the years for the E series, of course, but no large jumps in power. For a class A motorhome (excepting the very few built on an E series chassis, such as the Thor Ace) the three-valve engine with the horsepower increase is well worth taking into account.

Also be aware that the chassis model year is fairly often a year behind the finished motorhome model year. The RV manufacturer determines the model year of the final vehicle, based on when it was completed, rather than on the date when the chassis rolled off chassis assembly line.
Drew you are right, I assumed he was looking for a Class A. I think the V-10 in the C only produces 305 HP VS 362 in the 3 valve Class A.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gjac wrote:
I would look at MH's that were 2006 or newer. Both Ford or Chevy had engine and chassis improvements beginning that year HP was 362 and 340 respectively. Chevy had the better transmission but both were much better than previous years.

It's perhaps worth noting that the Ford E series chassis used for class C motorhomes doesn't have the higher-power version of the V10 engine (the three-valve version). There have been various improvements in the V10 over the years for the E series, of course, but no large jumps in power. For a class A motorhome (excepting the very few built on an E series chassis, such as the Thor Ace) the three-valve engine with the horsepower increase is well worth taking into account.

Also be aware that the chassis model year is fairly often a year behind the finished motorhome model year. The RV manufacturer determines the model year of the final vehicle, based on when it was completed, rather than on the date when the chassis rolled off chassis assembly line.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I owned a motorhome for 10 years that was built on a 2006 Ford E450 chassis with the V-10 engine. It was bulletproof.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhudson1111 wrote:
Hello everyone I'm new here and preparing to purchase my first motorhome. Looking for those with experience w 1990s 2000s Ford engines in their rig. I owned a Ford vehicle once upon a time. Like in the 1980s, it was the biggest lemon of all time!

Now that is why I drive a CHEVY powered motor home. sadly Chevy no longer makes that engine. (8.1L) Though why Workhorse did not go to the larger Chevy Engine I do not know.

OH and Ford Transmissions.. I had a car with one of those too... See your comment.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rhudson1111
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your help! I'll be posting a new thread shortly for opinions on a potential purchase. It's older than I am wanting, but has a lot of good qualities and extras that could be good. Thanks again!

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
No problems with my 2000 F53, v10. went to 19.5 tires that year
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
GM wasnโ€™t any better in the 1980s IMO. Today both have crackerjack engines.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And sorry, that post sounded harsh.
In general, there are 2 class C mh chassis. Ford n Chevy. Unless you step into the newer Mercedes chassis. Which arenโ€™t in your age price wheelhouse.
Both are as good as the car and wear n tear theyโ€™ve been subject to.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You owned a vehicle 40 years ago that was a lemon. So your wonderin if 20-30 year old vehicles of the same mfg are lemons.
News flash. Anything that is 20-30 years old is going to have similar issues because itโ€™s old. End of story.
And if you have that little knowledge about vehicles and mechanics, the best bet is to either buy new enough to eliminate age related issues or buy the best cared for lowest mile, with detailed repair records vehicle. Regardless of brand.

To one of the other posts, 460s werenโ€™t lemons, nor were Triton engines. But they each have Potential issues not unlike any other brand.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
90s Ford chassis had the 460 V8. I. Would steer clear of those chassis.

Around 99-2000 Ford switched to the V10. Better that the 460 but the early years had some problems eg spitting spark plugs etc.

After around 04 or so they got better with more HP. Also look for the five speed trans. I forget which year.

Around 2016 they switched a six speed trans which is more better.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
No one makes engines specifically for a MH, some my be modified a bit though.