cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30A adapter

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon. We are looking to purchase a multi-use generator (emergency home and maybe boondocking). The unit we are looking at has a L5-30R plug, but I believe the male end of my Grand Design TT cord is a TT-30P...can I get something like this so I can use my generator with my TT?

https://www.amazon.com/NEMA-TT-30R-L5-30P-RV-Adapter/dp/B076BHP37W
21 REPLIES 21

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Raife wrote:
This is the generator I am considering for the following reasons...

- We live in south central Texas and lost power for almost 4 days during the winter storm that knocked out the power grid...no heat. A generator would allow us to run an electric heater in one room of the house to stay warm as it could happen again and also power the fridge as we lost all our food.

- The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) has already stated we could see rolling blackouts this summer during the hottest days as the grid is not likely to handle the load. A generator would allows us to run fans and the fridge (see above).

- Multi fuel allows us to use what we have available. We have a natural gas line at the house for the grill, so theoretically we could run the generator continuously without needing to refuel (we had no disruption to the natural gas).

- We have a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE (30amp) which we could "live" in during prolonged power outage if needed. However, powering things at the house was needed this past winter as we were not able to get the trailer during this last winter storm as 1) roads were hazardous and 2) we wouldn't be able to open the storage facility gate (no power).

So I know it is not an "RV generator"

I wouldn't even consider this generator for RV use. It's far too noisy for use in areas where anyone else would be camping near you. I have a 3000 watt Yamaha inverter generator that is very quiet but supplies enough power to run our 15k btu AC unit and any appliances in our travel trailer.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Raife
Explorer
Explorer
This is the generator I am considering for the following reasons...

- We live in south central Texas and lost power for almost 4 days during the winter storm that knocked out the power grid...no heat. A generator would allow us to run an electric heater in one room of the house to stay warm as it could happen again and also power the fridge as we lost all our food.

- The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) has already stated we could see rolling blackouts this summer during the hottest days as the grid is not likely to handle the load. A generator would allows us to run fans and the fridge (see above).

- Multi fuel allows us to use what we have available. We have a natural gas line at the house for the grill, so theoretically we could run the generator continuously without needing to refuel (we had no disruption to the natural gas).

- We have a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE (30amp) which we could "live" in during prolonged power outage if needed. However, powering things at the house was needed this past winter as we were not able to get the trailer during this last winter storm as 1) roads were hazardous and 2) we wouldn't be able to open the storage facility gate (no power).

So I know it is not an "RV generator"

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or you could go with the puck type that is UL Listed.

Like This One.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
enblethen wrote:
That is the correct adapter for a genset set with 30 amp twist lock,
Amazon link
I like the twist lock over the 30TT receptacle. Vibration from genset can loosen and allow cord to come out.
This is a good example of genset.
Predator 3500

Of course, if you use the adapter, you negate the vibration resistance...not that we've ever had one fall out.

Better to just go to a marine store (the 30amp twist lock are standard at marinas) and get a cord that already has the male end.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That is the correct adapter for a genset set with 30 amp twist lock,
Amazon link
I like the twist lock over the 30TT receptacle. Vibration from genset can loosen and allow cord to come out.
This is a good example of genset.
Predator 3500

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
What generator are you looking at?

Most of the portable inverter generators that have the 30amp outlet are the TT-30 design.

You do see the L5-30 on trailers where the cord is not hard wired (just a male outlet on the exterior wall) but the standard RV cord transitions to the TT-30 where you plug into shore power (or generator).

But assuming your original post is correct, yes, you can use a 30amp to 30amp adapter.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Would this be a loud construction generator?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman