cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another towing question

Mmpfox
Explorer
Explorer
I know just what we need is another towing question. 2 we have a 2005 Yukon xl 1500. We are getting new shocks put on. We have a trailer brake, weight distribution hitch and sway bars. What should be the max to tow?
7 REPLIES 7

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
So even if you are within your max tow ratings and payload, it may not be the best experience. I was towing with a 2008 suburban 5.3l 3.73 rear end. I scaled my set up ready to camp, everything was within spec. The problem was, in much of a headwind, or up hill in the slightest, it would want to run 4500rpm in second gear. Now I know that it was not hurting the engine and I don't really care much about fuel mileage when towing, it just wasn't enjoyable for me. The ride was stable and comfortable, no white knuckle experience at all, just not enjoyable. I say all that to say this: just because you can, doesn't mean you will want to. Everyone is different, and someone may think that my last set-up (the suburban) did a great job and pulled it with no problem. Before you ask, plan on getting 7-9 mpg while towing. Let us know what you find and how it tows, I always enjoy hearing other's experience.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look on the drivers door/door frame, there is a sticker located there that will tell you every thing you need to know.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
Max Tow will be what's written in your manual for your axle ratio and engine size.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Mmpfox wrote:
I know just what we need is another towing question. 2 we have a 2005 Yukon xl 1500. We are getting new shocks put on. We have a trailer brake, weight distribution hitch and sway bars. What should be the max to tow?

Just saying year and model of tow vehicle, doesn't provide enough information to advise you.

What engine, what rear end ratio, factory tow package or not?

Agree that reading the Yukon's owners manual should give you the information. Look in the towing section.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
None of those three things will change what the maximum weight you can tow will be but all are necessary to tow a heavy weight. The maximum weight you can tow is determined by the manufacturer. The shocks will help with bouncing but do nothing for weigh carrying ability.
You may be interested in the this thread that explains how to determine what you can tow.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Check your owners manual. It will tell you.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
1500s are really going to be limited. Once you load them with family and stuff your going to be nearly maxed out. To prove it, load it up like your going camping and drive across a set of scales. Compare the scaled weight to your GVWR.