cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

battery

nikkijohnrv
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know if I can use my microwave and use my outlets off my battery? We have a travel trailer
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Off batteries... If you have at least 200 amp hours at the c/20 rate (IE a pair of Group 29, DEEP CYCLE, 31 DEEP CYCLE (Not Marine/Deep cycle in both cases) or a pair of Golf Car batteries and an inverter at least 1500 watts (mine is 2000) you can run a Microwave for a short time, the more battery the more time (i have over 500 amp hours).

Off "Shore" power.. 20 amps one big ticket item (Microwave, Water heater, Air conditioner) Provided the batteies are not sucking major re-charge amps of your converter..

Off 30 amps. 2 of the above
And if your trailer is wired for 50 and you have 50. All you can eat.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Not unless you upgrade the electrical system, add batteries, and install an inverter.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you talking about boondocking, or just being able to run appliances while parked in your driveway? If the later, then you can get an adapter for your power cord that allows you to plug the TT into house current. You can't run the AC though.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

nikkijohnrv
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the response.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
nope
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Most TT don't come with capability as standard equipment. It takes an inverter to change the battery 12volt DC to 110volt AC. If your thinking of running a microwave then you will need at least a 1kW inverter. To run that inverter I would use no less than 4 6volt batteries as a bank. Then you also need the ability to recharge that battery bank

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It can be done. You would need an inverter large enough to run the microwave. You would also need more than one battery to supply the large amount of power necessary. Many people equip their RV's this way but RV's rarely come this way from the factory. The cost of a cheap inverter and some additional batteries and cables would be hundreds of dollars.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Generally, no. However, if you have a big enough inverter, anything is possible.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.