cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Cell Phone App

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Let's get specific. I have a Toyota Tacoma on order and have found that I will be able to mirror my cell phone on the Tacoma display, so didn't get navigation. I would appreciate specific recommendations for an android cell phone navigation app. Phone, of course, comes with Google Maps pre-installed, so is there something better?
Currently Between RVs
27 REPLIES 27

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
While it sounds good to use your phone and an app to navigate but you will be happier with a Garmin for RVs. Garmin is the best of a so so bunch. Yes you will have an additional piece of hardware but money well spent.

My new Garmin Is junk and not any better than Waze.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
Despite some of the RV specific nav apps, I still prefer WAZE. I like that fact that updates are real time from other users.

x2

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
While it sounds good to use your phone and an app to navigate but you will be happier with a Garmin for RVs. Garmin is the best of a so so bunch. Yes you will have an additional piece of hardware but money well spent.

I agree 100%. I travel from East Tx to NW Arkansas several times yearly goin thru eastern Ok. No cell service in many Ok/Ar areas.
Not saying don't get an App just have other navigation tools including an old fashion map.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DougE wrote:
Let's get specific. I have a Toyota Tacoma on order and have found that I will be able to mirror my cell phone on the Tacoma display, so didn't get navigation. I would appreciate specific recommendations for an android cell phone navigation app. Phone, of course, comes with Google Maps pre-installed, so is there something better?

In theory there are better apps for Big Rides. and occasionally Google Maps has given me a case of the giggles (Like one spot where it says "TURN LEFT" .. well the only thing to the left is a chain link fence (You continue straight. Legally that's a left turn because the road you are on angles right but you want to continue straight onto another road)

The best is a mix of the GPS app and I only have one issue with Google Maps which I will tell you.. And your BRAIN and possible paper maps.

The issue with Google maps is if for any reason you leave the app, and you are out of range of a cell. unless you saved it. you can not restore the map. had to switch from Phone to brain on one trip and it was not fun. Thankfully Brain worked.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
You'll likely just want to use android auto. After a first use it just fires up automatically. It used to ask whether to use Google Maps or Waze but I think since Google is combining the features of the two apps it uses maps automatically.

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
Doesn't WAZE requie Internet access? If so, it's of no use in many places in the western U.S. where we travel.

We prefer complete independence from the Internet, so we use detailed map atlas books and our satellite-based Garmin unit with it's free updates so we can keep it always up to date for free.

TomTom, though not free, does not need internet. Maps updated once a quarter. Needs internet for real time traffic, but if you are where there is no internet, traffic probably not an issue.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't WAZE requie Internet access? If so, it's of no use in many places in the western U.S. where we travel.

We prefer complete independence from the Internet, so we use detailed map atlas books and our satellite-based Garmin unit with it's free updates so we can keep it always up to date for free.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
A third vote for WAZE.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bumpyroad wrote:
wildtoad wrote:

and you won't be stuck with a tiny phone screen, I have found that bigger is better.
bumpy

If your phone pairs/mirrors to the truck screen, you don't need to rely on a small screen. My WAZE displays on my truck's large screen. It also give the audio prompts through the truck's stereo.

I had a Garmin RV specific unit. The issue I had was that it's really outdated. Even with recent updates, it was always out of date. That said, we really don't travel many places that aren't RV friendly.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:

and you won't be stuck with a tiny phone screen, I have found that bigger is better.
bumpy

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Despite some of the RV specific nav apps, I still prefer WAZE. I like that fact that updates are real time from other users.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps is the best on android phones but doesn't let you know about RV specific dangers like low bridges. RV Trip Wizard has the โ€œRV LIFE GPS & Campgroundsโ€ app but it's a little clunky. I prefer using RV Trip Wizard on my home computer and plan out my trips so I know the route doesn't have any issues Then I recreate it in Google Maps and send it to my phone via text message. Don't do it in "My Maps" of the Google map options as there is no navigation feature to that. Just use the regular Google maps and have the route texted to your phone. So far this way has worked great for me.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.