cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blew a fuse I cannot find... Bum,bum,bum.

kemeisland
Explorer
Explorer
First time poster, planning to be pretty active on this forum. Hello!

I searched for this in the existing posts and haven't found anything.

I have my first RV, testing out the full-time life. Bought an '89 Mallard ( M-270 SB-Ford, on an Econoline 350 chassis ). Everything has been pretty good once I got the RV into shape to begin with. I'm the third owner in 25 years.

Today I had a space heater and electric water kettle on the same circuit and I heard the fuse blow. Usually I take one or the other off and use one at a time. This time that didn't happen. Now all the outlets aren't working. I checked the fuse box at the back under the closet, close to where the power hookup comes in for 30 AMP, but none of the fuses are blown. I was aware a fuse might not look blown but still be blown, so I took one I knew worked and tried it on all the other spots, with an outlet tester plugged in to see if it lit up. None of the fuses seemed to affect it.

Where do I go from here? Is there somewhere else a fuse box might be, or a specific fuse for the outlets only? Right now I've put the space heater and my laptop on the separate circuit the microwave has, but that's not a solution and I'll need to be extra careful not to blow my only remaining outlet. I'm hoping there's easy access to some magic fuse.

Any wise full-timers or electrical magicians have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!
21 REPLIES 21

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is what a GFCI OUTLET looks like in my trailer.

I have one of these installed near the kitchen sink, bath room sink, and bedroom/hallway sink.

The GFCI Receptacles usually controls multiple receptacles near its installed location. My OUTSIDE receptacle is controlled by the kitchen GFCI receptacle.

I have two 120VAC Circuit Breaker ZONES in the 120VAC Power Distribution Panel that controls my trailer receptacles.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

kemeisland
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thank you all for such awesome responses. It is great to know there's a community out there for whatever might happen in the future. I'm glad to participate here, and very glad I signed up.

One of the first things I checked ( but forgot to mention ) is the Ground Fault Interrupter in the bathroom, but we're talking about the "RESET" button needing to be pressed, right? I pressed "RESET" and "TEST" then "RESET" but got no love. From what I remember of GFI's, when they are tripped the "RESET" button will be popped upward... but it was flush with the faceplate.

@ADAD437: This rig has six 15 AMP fuses and one 20 AMP fuse on the box where the master 30/20 AMP switches are, those are what I checked.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If it's not the GFI then flip the circuit breakers off then back on - also make sure the shore power circuit breaker is OK.
Kevin

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
A GFI in the bath or kitchen is where I'd look 1st after the power distribution panel. I know this might be a long shot. Have you checked for a circuit breaker on an most likely added "whole house" inverter. Though newer, our our Phaeton has only tripped one breaker on the power panel, that I can remember in 9+ years of full timing. We loose 120V power on the passenger side front of the coach when we try to use an electric heater in combination with the convection/microwave and a hairdryer or our Keurig coffee maker at the same time. Then it is usually the lower of the two breakers on the inverter, the upper breaker has never had to be reset, very seldom is it the bath GFI that covers the same circuit.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Double Post
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
i don't understand what fuses you are talking about. it should have circuit breakers for the 110 volt outlets,the fuses you mention should be for 12 volt. as mentioned sounds like you tripped a gfci.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have you checked the GFI outlet. That may need to be reset
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly