cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealing with the unpredicablity of life and your camper!

pk1023
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, this is going to come out as just as complaint session, but I have to express it.

Soo... We've had a travel trailer for about 2 years, traded our terribly little one in on a nice BIG 30 foot unit with a slide. It's something our family of four can really live in and that's great.

Using it the 2nd time here in Central Indiana this weekend. Not far from home, about 30 minutes. I wanted to go a bit further, but about a week ago a co-worker at the preschool where my wife teaches said there's this "big party they host on their farm" this same weekend. My wife wanted to go and I think that pretty much helped decide that we'd camp but stay close. No problem I thought, camping is camping, just fun to get away.

The other challenge comes last Sunday, we need a reservation. So we start calling around, finding not much. Finally choose a private place that's like 37 bucks a night, much more than the 26 we pay at state parks. But, it's something and close which will allow the party to be attended.

So here we sit on Thursday. The weather forecast is pretty BAD for the weekend. It's going to be a wet, cold affair this weekend in Central Indiana.

So, before we break into the courses of all the things you can do camping while it might be raining, we know all that. We have board games and TV, plus my 10 and 8 year olds are happy to just play their video games. That's not the problem.

The problem is the best laid plans always seem to fail for us. What will run through my head all weekend is could be sitting in our nice, big house instead of paying 37 bucks. I mean it'll be rainy and cold, it won't be weather anyone wants to go out in. Probably no fire, probably no bike riding.

I'm excited to go to the party, I think that'll be a good time. But, it seems like the smarter move would have been to cancel camping...

I just get this feeling as I sit here at this desk and work 8 hours a day that god is mocking me. It's like I do all this work to get these cool toys, but then I can't seem to ever get what I need.

There was a stretch of weather here in Sept, the weather people kept saying "Get Out and Enjoy it" over and over. But I couldn't. Work, school, commitments. I couldn't enjoy it with my camper because life doesn't just work that way. The best of nature doesn't just line up with the schedules of a life. Flag football doesn't cancel for GREAT weather, just crappy, which means it took even MORE time up.

Okay, let the flaming begin! ๐Ÿ™‚
62 REPLIES 62

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We always go with the flow - life is too short to worry about the small stuff...

Camping in the rain is fun for us as well... It sort of puts everyone around you in the same boat so to speak.

First time we had a hugh rain storm over night I found out why you are suppose to tilt the awning hehe.. Could not open my trailer door... ALso found out where the high water runoff flows to at that site...

Found out my Off-Road POPUP does very well in a heavy rain storm - we where high and dry and really enjoyed the rain hitting the roof all night long. Brings back childhood memories for me living on the farm under the tin roof on the house.

Roy and Carolyn
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Happiness is not guaranteed, only that we can pursue it. You should consider yourself blessed to own a home, family and a camper along with a job where you are needed.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
I remember working all week to Sun and warm temps, then come the weekend of rain storms and mud. Such is Life.

I would have tried to camp for Free on the Farm.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."