cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dump tank storage in cold weather?

Jonnygsx
Explorer
Explorer
I have my travel trailer parked out in the eastern sierras and am planning to use it once a month or so. It can get cold in Bishop where its parked at night. Maybe into the low 30's high 20s and then back in the 50's and 60s at the coldest time of year. Obviously the best move is to dump all the tanks after every use. But I dont know how much we'll fill the tanks in a week of use. If they are half or less is it possible to put some kinda anti freeze in them so I dont have to bother dumping till after the next use? It just saves a little money and time not dumping each time. Thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
They only add a few gallons and then a gallon of antifreeze, They have had no problems

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
You would have to add a lot of antifreeze to protect a half full tank. I would just add water then dump. If you can't add water dump anyway then add water and rinse later when it warms up.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

koda55
Explorer
Explorer
Can you add water to your tanks and then drain them? If I do not have enough water in my tanks when done I add water and then dump, flush and add a few gallons of water, but I live in Florida. My friends in Penna.
do the same thing except they add water and some antifreeze in the black tank.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the temperatures are warming up above freezing every day, you should have no problems with it ever freezing.