cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F250 Brake Box

TxRick
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, this is my first post and I hope this is not looked at as a stupid question. I have a 2012 F250 PSD with the build in brake control box. How well does this one work and should it be replaced with a fiver that has a max weight of 10,500? It's dry weight is 7,900 and for the trips we plan on taking, close and two to three nights at a time, it will probably max out at 9,500 or less. We have two small kids and work a lot, so long trips will not be there for a while as it has been a long time since I have RV'd and my wife never has but is jumping up and down about it.
I do have quite a bit of driving experience. I've gone coast to coast with forty foot goosenecks, but the trucks used to pull them did not have a factory brake control and the box was installed by the truck owner. I know that my bass boat with surge brakes is a lot lighter and does not use the same system, but the truck does not even know its there. Thanks for any and all advice and if I left anything out all you need to do is ask and I will fill in the gaps.
Rick
2014 CrossRoads LHF29BH
2012 F250 FX4 PSD
2008 Skeeter ZX250
4 REPLIES 4

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
IBC is the way to go. Stops are smooth with no windup on hitch. Make sure you use the tow/haul mode for maximum towing pleasure. Have fun with you new fiver.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

TxRick
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you very much. That was the only real thing I was worried about. I had already talked the wife out of a huge fiver that would have been pushing the trucks weight limits, but had no idea how well that controller worked. We should pick up the RV in two weeks or so and wanted to have the truck ready to go before I got there. Dang thing called work getting in the way of all the fun!!!
2014 CrossRoads LHF29BH
2012 F250 FX4 PSD
2008 Skeeter ZX250

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that the Ford IBC is excellent. I have had it on my 2011 F-250 and now 2014 F-250. Works flawlessly and is integrated with the truck ABS and works proportionally to the pedal pressure. It also has an anti-sway feature. I set the IBC at 9 and forget it as it will take care of itself. There is no 'grab' like a conventional brake controller, just smooth and easy. Highly recommend it. Now towing a fully loaded 10,000 lb 35 ft TT.

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with the 2005 version of the Ford brake controller is that it's the best controller I have ever used. Your trailer is in no way too large for it, I think it's rated to 4 axles. My previous controller was a Tekonsha Prodigy, a highly regarded controller, and the Ford was head and shoulders better.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper