cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FireFighter Retiring in a couple years

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 48yro almost 49 and looking at retirement at the age of 50 being a firefighter for 20 years atm. I drive a 2017 Nissan Titan XD diesel and am looking at a Grand Design travel trailer one specific that my truck can carry no problem. Whatever the TT I get I plan on spending a lot extra and put around 1000 amh of a solar battery and solar panel system on, so yes plan on mostly if not all boondocking.

My question is: Are there many people on the road at that age that do a lot of traveling and boondocking? I'm single and kinda rather intimidated, scared or whatever of jumping out into the new life that I would like to do. Reason i'm researching now early on. I know there are a lot older than me and I don't mind if in a community or if off grid a fellow neighbor a lot older than me I will always get along with anybody no matter what.

My Dad will probably finally retire as well for good at the age of 70 when I turn 50 and i'll probably follow him for a bit, but of course will go my own way early on as in i'm not a gold prospector like they are.

Like I said I for some crazy reason start research early on and I have at least 1 year and half or 2 years before I hit the road all depending.

Thnx
46 REPLIES 46

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
JC2 wrote:
ken56 wrote:
Walkdog, you seem to be a bit over confident on what your Titan will handle. Oldbiscuit is spot on with what he posted for you. You can't believe the advertising and what salesmen say about what any tow vehicle can tow. Sure, it may well be able to pull it, but you will soon tire of fighting an oversized trailer to keep on the road, a tail wagging the dog situation. Being new in the RVing game with plenty of time to get to understand weights and towing issues keep reading on the subject.

Also go to the work camping forums and see what is out there.....litterally tons of things to do to stay occupied and get free or reduced rate sites. I retired at 52 although not from public service and I have enjoyed every minute of my freedom and have not looked back. From the day you retire it will all be in your hands to do or not do what ever you desire. Good luck.

I also agree with Oldbiscuit's analysis of the op's trucks capability to safely tow the (2) rvs shown. Too often, salesman and manufactures submit figures which are overly optimistic for their products when in real life, these types of matchups can be/are dangerous to the driver of such and to those around them. They are in the business to sell and will sometimes push the rules to the limit. The folks on this/other forums get paid "nothing" and just want to help. Listen, learn, and study the information given to you by those that have been there and done that before you make a decision that could be costly. Your not the first and will not be the last person on this and other forums who find that what they are trying to matchup is simply not safe or practical. I personally have seen several folks who where given the correct info from experienced folks for a tow vehicle/rv matchup and then those sames ones went with the salesman recommendation. Example: One guy bought a 40+ ft Kodiak 5ver and said the salesman told him it was ok to pull with a "shortbed" pu with a diesel motor. Several months later he got in a situation running 65mph and found out that the truck and 5ver were not a good match. In closing, go across (very windy)I-80 in Nebraska while pulling a rv with a borderline truck matchup and see ahow you feel afterwards.

I'm with Oldbiscuit as well. Thank you all for your input.

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thnx all I've been busy since I posted originally and will be reading over all this. I would and will stick within my payloads. 🙂

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Walkdog, looking at the 2 5vers you proposed, that is exactly what your truck is made for. And really nice lookin trailers to boot.
The new XD diesels are pretty sweet. Half ton guys bag on them because the XD will out tow the best Mac daddy Ecoboost super duper towing package truck out there.
Diesel guys bag on them because they realize that this truck has more power than what they used to brag about and a Little tune would run with their $70000 Cummins dually. And the self proclaimed weight cops liken it to a 6cyl 1993 F150, "because it's only a half ton."

Sounds like you're planning to have a blast. Good luck........

So you are recommending he ignore the payload capacity of his truck?
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Oldbiscuit is right. Like most half tons, the Titan doesn't have enough payload capacity to carry the weight of the 5er's pin. Stick with a TT that has less than 1000 lb of tongue weight.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Walkdog, looking at the 2 5vers you proposed, that is exactly what your truck is made for. And really nice lookin trailers to boot.
The new XD diesels are pretty sweet. Half ton guys bag on them because the XD will out tow the best Mac daddy Ecoboost super duper towing package truck out there.
Diesel guys bag on them because they realize that this truck has more power than what they used to brag about and a Little tune would run with their $70000 Cummins dually. And the self proclaimed weight cops liken it to a 6cyl 1993 F150, "because it's only a half ton."

Sounds like you're planning to have a blast. Good luck........
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JC2
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
Walkdog, you seem to be a bit over confident on what your Titan will handle. Oldbiscuit is spot on with what he posted for you. You can't believe the advertising and what salesmen say about what any tow vehicle can tow. Sure, it may well be able to pull it, but you will soon tire of fighting an oversized trailer to keep on the road, a tail wagging the dog situation. Being new in the RVing game with plenty of time to get to understand weights and towing issues keep reading on the subject.

Also go to the work camping forums and see what is out there.....litterally tons of things to do to stay occupied and get free or reduced rate sites. I retired at 52 although not from public service and I have enjoyed every minute of my freedom and have not looked back. From the day you retire it will all be in your hands to do or not do what ever you desire. Good luck.

I also agree with Oldbiscuit's analysis of the op's trucks capability to safely tow the (2) rvs shown. Too often, salesman and manufactures submit figures which are overly optimistic for their products when in real life, these types of matchups can be/are dangerous to the driver of such and to those around them. They are in the business to sell and will sometimes push the rules to the limit. The folks on this/other forums get paid "nothing" and just want to help. Listen, learn, and study the information given to you by those that have been there and done that before you make a decision that could be costly. Your not the first and will not be the last person on this and other forums who find that what they are trying to matchup is simply not safe or practical. I personally have seen several folks who where given the correct info from experienced folks for a tow vehicle/rv matchup and then those sames ones went with the salesman recommendation. Example: One guy bought a 40+ ft Kodiak 5ver and said the salesman told him it was ok to pull with a "shortbed" pu with a diesel motor. Several months later he got in a situation running 65mph and found out that the truck and 5ver were not a good match. In closing, go across (very windy)I-80 in Nebraska while pulling a rv with a borderline truck matchup and see ahow you feel afterwards.
2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304,Cummins ISL 425hp,Spartan MM Chassis,2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed,Ready Brute Elite TowBar/Brake,FMCA #402879,SKP#120487

ken56
Explorer
Explorer

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon Seasonal Jobs

We are both retired military, fulltime rvers for almost 10 years. Amazon is the only workcamping we have done. We have found that working fulltime but only 3-4 months out of the year gives us enough money to supplement our pensions and still leaves us with the majority of the year to travel where we want. We are starting our sixth season with Amazon on Monday.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Walkdog, i'm a retired FF/EMT.
i retired at 60 though. we dry camp most of the time.

take your time educating yourself about towing. just cause you have a Titan XD diesel, doesn't mean you can tow anything, especially a 5th wheel because of their heavier pin weights.
it's still a 1/2 ton truck.

your truck's Payload Capacity is just as important as towing capactiy and even MORE important if you're considering a 5th wheel.
check your driver's door sticker for "Occupants and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs." that's your truck's payload capacity.
you need to use that to compare to tongue or pin weights of the trailers you're looking at.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on trying to add to back of trailer if possible as well to carry a small load. I didn't misprint as I thought. What do you mean by WET? The extra amount I add in?

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
I must have misprinted, sorry. One was suppose to the the 5th wheel 2800bh, don't remember the other..........will look it back up. Was suppose to be one 5th wheel and the other bumper......blah

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Time for a little reality check........

2017 Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Published info shows 'Towing capacity: 11,660 to 11,930 lbs

YET info shows 'Payload: 1,612 to 1,699 lbs

AND Gross vehicle weight rating: 8,800 to 8,990 lbs

Payload is the total amount of weight that can be added to truck.....that would be everything in cab, stuff in bags, stuff in seat/door pockets, under the seats, in the bed of truck, the weight hitch AND the WET pin weight of 5th wheel (or tongue weight of a TT)

Both of those Grand Designs show DRY pin weights...not wet pin weight of loaded up Full Time packed/camp ready trailers
The 230RL..dry weight is listed as AVG weight of 1195#---wet pin will be closer to 1800# or more
The 2800BH...dry weight is listed as AVG weight of 575#...wet tongue weight will be closer to 900# or more

With a payload of only 1650# the 5vr model 230RL is too heavy
But the TT model 2800BH might be doable (1650-900 = 750 minus 100 for hitch.....650# left for STUFF in truck)

Course you will probably be at/over trucks GVWR but real concern would be trucks rear axle rating and if at/over it (or trucks tire max load ratings)

With your 2017 Nissan Titan XD Diesel you would be better off forgetting about 5th wheels as the wet pin weights will et up too mch payload and shop for TTs in the 7500 GVWR range.

Towing overloaded is not fun nor safe.
Check your door jamb for your trucks 'cargo carrying capacity' (payload) on tire load Data sticker

Remember published numbers are DRY weights....so look at GVWR and use 12% as bases for wet tongue weight (20% for 5vr wet pin)

Best of luck in your research.

So exactly what are you saying? I cant pull a F150 load? I might not have listed the right trailers then. The ones I looked at or thought I posted where for light duty trucks

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
Edd, I'm willing to do some work while traveling so hopefully it wont be too bad. Who knows, like I said i'm researching now to see if this is for me. I still have about a year and half before I can do it

Walkdog
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Time for a little reality check........

2017 Nissan Titan XD Diesel
Published info shows 'Towing capacity: 11,660 to 11,930 lbs

YET info shows 'Payload: 1,612 to 1,699 lbs

AND Gross vehicle weight rating: 8,800 to 8,990 lbs

Payload is the total amount of weight that can be added to truck.....that would be everything in cab, stuff in bags, stuff in seat/door pockets, under the seats, in the bed of truck, the weight hitch AND the WET pin weight of 5th wheel (or tongue weight of a TT)

Both of those Grand Designs show DRY pin weights...not wet pin weight of loaded up Full Time packed/camp ready trailers
The 230RL..dry weight is listed as AVG weight of 1195#---wet pin will be closer to 1800# or more
The 2800BH...dry weight is listed as AVG weight of 575#...wet tongue weight will be closer to 900# or more

With a payload of only 1650# the 5vr model 230RL is too heavy
But the TT model 2800BH might be doable (1650-900 = 750 minus 100 for hitch.....650# left for STUFF in truck)

Course you will probably be at/over trucks GVWR but real concern would be trucks rear axle rating and if at/over it (or trucks tire max load ratings)

With your 2017 Nissan Titan XD Diesel you would be better off forgetting about 5th wheels as the wet pin weights will et up too mch payload and shop for TTs in the 7500 GVWR range.

Towing overloaded is not fun nor safe.
Check your door jamb for your trucks 'cargo carrying capacity' (payload) on tire load Data sticker

Remember published numbers are DRY weights....so look at GVWR and use 12% as bases for wet tongue weight (20% for 5vr wet pin)

Best of luck in your research.

I'm well within specs and way lower for weights. Also this is what i'm stuck with now and will forever be. No changes. Yes I will definitely and for sure look at dry weights for sure.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you do better than I did. Twenty five years LE retired, slept in till 7:30, drank coffee till 10 and said now what do I do. Lasted 1 year and I was back to work. Done that twice more, hoping 3rd times a charm. Like gemsworld said I retired with Cadillac pension and benies. Medical traveling has been the biggest issue, especially when the medical issues hit. The VA is OK but you may want to look at what priority you are
https://www.va.gov/healthbenefits/resources/priority_groups.asp
Getting appointments is by priority group plus you will need a primary Dr.
Your not going to spend all your time in your TT, you'll find things to do away from camp and that will cost. I have not found age to be much of an issue, you find other campers with similar interests and back grounds - seems I always run into others with EMS back grounds, and the I remember stories start.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold