cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Time RVer. Help a brother out!

YuDarvish11
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning to all. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am about 3 months from hitting the road to California from Texas. I recently bought a 2014 RAM 2500 Big Horn to pull an RV, or Camper. Not sure what the preferred nomenclature is in the RV community. I am looking for a fifth wheel with a toy hauler, but with the plethora of makes and models, it can be a bit challenging to decide what to buy. I figured I'd stop by a dealership and seek assistance, only to find that the sales team will try and sell you what benefits their dealership and their pocket. So, is there a specific make or model that I should stay away from??????

Thanks in advance for your time.
21 REPLIES 21

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
kregli wrote:
Look in your glove box. There should be a sticker indicating load capacity. Probably around 2500 lbs. That's roughly what you can handle for pin weight. It is usually more of a restriction than the overall towing capacity.

Don't look in the glovebox. Look on your driver's-side door jamb. This is where you will find your payload limit.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

kregli
Explorer
Explorer
Look in your glove box. There should be a sticker indicating load capacity. Probably around 2500 lbs. That's roughly what you can handle for pin weight. It is usually more of a restriction than the overall towing capacity.
Keith
2015 Grand Design Momentum 388m
2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW

YuDarvish11
Explorer
Explorer
Also, I have a sports bike and plan on living in the RV for a few years. I considered buying a bumper pull and simply loading my bike on the bed of my truck. Thoughts?

YuDarvish11
Explorer
Explorer
The max tow capacity on my Cummins is 17,500lbs. I have indeed visited shows, and multiple dealerships. Is there a specific type I should stay away from? or is it all based on personal preference??

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with bukhrn. You would hate to buy a toy hauler off the lot and then realize at some point in time you find another that is better suited to your needs. There are quite a few people that I know that change out TT often and it does not bother them and that is fine, however I do believe that you lose money on buying new and selling used a short time thereafter. However if you like adventures and not worried about the financial part of it then it can be part of the fun process for you as well.

Personally I would visit the manufacturers websites and see what the technical specs, layouts and pricing is for them. Go to RV shows and take your time in figuring out what works for you. Visit your local dealers as well, no better way in finding what you like until you sat in them!!!!

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
Check your towing limits on your truck. You may not have enough GAWR on the rear to hold the pin weight of a toy hauler.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not to burst your bubble but, if you haven't already done a ton of research, gone to a lot of RV shows, been to all the manufacturer web sites & checked out the various floor plans, then trust me, just driving to a dealer and buying something on the spot is definitely NOT the way to do it. As has been stated many times on here, "if a dealer is moving his lips, He's lying".
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund