cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First trip out

BamaFlum
Explorer
Explorer
It's been a while since I posted. A few years ago we were considering renting a TT and taking a trip to Yellowstone but decided against it due to timing issues and trip distances (I can go a lot further driving in a minivan plus our three kids were more comfortable on the long drives--we had a few 11-12 hour days). This site was invaluable giving me advice and warning me about being overly ambitious.

Well, fast forward and we have decided to plan a last minute trip to Colorado (Salida and RMNP). Kids practiced riding in the back of my 2014 F150 and we have rented a TT (watching the payload capacity carefully), heading out at the end of the month. We plan on taking two nights to get to Salida from SA, TX to spend a couple of days white water rafting and horse back riding then drive to Colorado Springs for a night to go the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (one of the best small zoos in the country) and then drive up to Drake, CO 20 min outside of RMNP for a few days. Trip home will be uneventful--planning on a longer first day to get home (Amarillo/Lubbock) and then getting home on day two of the return leg.

I'll look over the FAQ and I'm planning on printed out some lists to make sure we take what we need. I've already watched several videos about set up, dumping, leveling, etc. Super excited to take our first TT trip together as a family!

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
12 REPLIES 12

SleepyBadger
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you had fun
Sleeping our way across the US

BamaFlum
Explorer
Explorer
Made it back safe and sound. It was a great trip and we learned a lot. Pulling was great with my 2014 F150 Lariet with Ecoboost. Only a couple of white knuckle moments: Lubbock wind, getting over one mountain, and a rain storm in Kerrville on the way home. Only had one dicey backing in moment. Don't know if the travel trailer life is for our family, but it's something we always wanted to do and we are all glad we did it. Everyone said that if we had a bigger trailer, they would like a lot more (28' Innsbruck bunkhouse for 2 adults, an adult daughter, and two teenage boys).

Our first stop was Amarillo Oasis RV Park of the night (and it was our stop on the way home). Loved the park. It was clean, level, pull throughs, and nice bathhouses.

Salida, CO was beautiful! Went white water rafting with Independent Whitewater (highly recommended) and house back riding with Granite Outfitters (also highly recommended). We stayed at 4 Seasons and it was nice being right on the Arkansas River (the park could use a little maintenance but overall a nice place).

We made a stop in Colorado Springs on the way to RMNP and went to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (one our favorites). We stayed in Mountaindale. This park was nice but it was the most expensive and didn't offer anything for that price. It was also the hardest to get the trailer into the spot.

Finally, we went to Drake, CO around 15 miles outside of Estes Park (only place we could find in the short time we planned this trip). The park, The Rivers Fork, was not the nicest but they were in the process of refurbishing after a devastating flood a few years ago. The best part was it was quiet and had a mountain brook right next to the spot so we had some nice evenings watching the kids play in the brook while we had a came fire going. RMNP was gorgeous! It was a little tough waking up at 5:30 to get to the best places at RMNP before the parking lots filled but it was worth it!

Overall, we enjoyed the trip but realize how much work it is to travel by trailer. We plan on trying to rent a motorhome next to see the difference.

About the trailer. Obviously, I don't know much about trailers but I was not impressed with the model we rented (Innsbruck by Gulfstream 259bh). The table broke on our first day, circuit board broke the second day on the water heater (rental company fixed it by lunch time), jack tool was broken (luckily I brought a set of tools so no problems for our trip), the oven didn't work, and our trailer rocked quite a bit once we set it up (apparently you need some good stabilizer jacks to keep that from happening which again rentals don't have).

Thanks for all the help! My wife wants to go back to RMNP but rent a cabin in the park next time!

Dixie_Bushcraft
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
BamaFlum, if you decide to go to Amarillo, you could stay at the Amarillo Ranch RV Park owned by the Big Texan Steakhouse. They offer free limo service from the RV park to the restaurant and back which is just down the street.

The restaurant is known for the 'Free 72 oz. steak' if you can eat all of it and the fixn's within an hour. The food is very good and if your lucky, you'll get a chance to see someone take the 'Big Texan' up on their offer. I've seen it a couple of times.

They also have arcade games for the kids if that is of any interest.

Safe travels,
MM.

I second this one.
And if you just want a "regular" steak, theirs will melt in your mouth.
GOOD GRUB for sure.
"Life is a Highway.... And all I do is Drive, Drive, Drive."

Introduce youth to the Great Outdoors. Take a kid camping !!!

www.DixieBushcraft.com
Twitter me... @dixiebushcraft
Facebook... www.facebook.com/DixieBushcraft/

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
we try and plan on 6hr give or take 300 mile days. On the road by 9:00 off by 3:00 gives use time to set up relax and the kids time to run off some steam before bed time.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

BamaFlum
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the TT we are renting:
https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/products/light-weight/innsbruck-lite/model/259bh

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
BamaFlum, if you decide to go to Amarillo, you could stay at the Amarillo Ranch RV Park owned by the Big Texan Steakhouse. They offer free limo service from the RV park to the restaurant and back which is just down the street.

The restaurant is known for the 'Free 72 oz. steak' if you can eat all of it and the fixn's within an hour. The food is very good and if your lucky, you'll get a chance to see someone take the 'Big Texan' up on their offer. I've seen it a couple of times.

They also have arcade games for the kids if that is of any interest.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

BamaFlum
Explorer
Explorer
maddog348 wrote:
BamaFlum~~ "...... Kids practiced riding in the back of my 2014 F150 ....." Riding in back of truck OK in your state??? JM2¢

😄
I meant riding three across in the 2nd row without killing each other versus being separated in a minivan.

I was just talking to my wife and we are still undecided about getting to Salida. I would like to find a place to stop not too far on the first day and second day. We looked at Carlsbad and Bandelier but neither place allows dogs; we will be traveling with our puppy (1 1/2 year old terrier/dachsund mix).

One idea I had was to try to get to Amarillo (or close to it), then scoot over to Albuquerque (ride the tram to Sandia peak and maybe hike down), and then up to Salida.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
BamaFlum~~ "...... Kids practiced riding in the back of my 2014 F150 ....." Riding in back of truck OK in your state??? JM2¢

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My advice would be to prune back as much as possible on what you take. If you are undecided on an item, leave it home. It is easy to get carried away and take too much. Everything you take adds weight, takes up valuable space and can leave your RV cluttered and uncomfortable.

I do take lots of underwear and T shirts. They take up little space and extend the time between Laundromat visits.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll have a great time on this adventure! Advice on check lists is good.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Unexpected things may happen. It is part and parcel of "camping" Do not get upset. Your plans are not set in stone
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Have fun on your trip! Best advice, stick to arrival and departure checklists, and then double check everything. Take your time and don't rush, as when I rush, I make mistakes. Enjoy!!
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad