Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

From TT to ???

love2tow
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon,
After a two year battle with quality control issues on my Shadow Cruiser, my wife and I decided to get rid of it and start the research and purchase process all over again. We are looking at purchasing in two years but I am one to start my research early; although two years really isn't that early.

With that said, we will be looking at a Class A or Class C in the 30ft or larger range. I was set on Class C because of the sleeping options but now many of the class A's come with a bunk over the driver/passanger seats so it's a non issue really. For me, it will come down to quality and what best fits my needs.

So here are a couple of questions:
  1. What key structural elements should I be looking at on either type
  2. Am I pushing the size limits on a class C by going with 30 ft or larger?
  3. Why does it seem that THOR owns everything? What brands have folks had good luck with? (

I understand that maintenance is important and that all of them will have issues. I just don't want huge failures over and over again.

I plan on hitting as many shows as possible over the next couple of years but I want to go in armed with info so I can teach the salesman a thing or two about their units.

Finally, after reading many threads, I realize that the more info I can provide, the better idea you may have of my needs.
  • Traveling with my wife, and two kids which will be 6 and 3 years old at that time
  • Will tow UTV on trailer from time to time (total of 2800 lbs)
  • will flat tow my Nissan Frontier or will buy a aluminum car hauler. (7500 lbs at most)
  • no issues with storing the unit
  • may have two furry kids (they are getting up there in the years)
Price Range, I have no idea. I've seen a lot in the $70,000 - $90,000 range and that is doable. But this time, I'm going to find quality first and then see if I can swing the cost of the unit.

Camping Habits: Mostly long weekend trips that are within 5 hours. Usually plan one big trip per year. Florida, Colorado, Arizona, etc..) Because of the kids, we don't stay in many "secluded" spots. Most are campgrounds with activities for the little ones. That will change once they come to appreciate the outdoors but for now, it's all about the pool and playground.

That is what I have to start. I know I'm leaving out a bunch of stuff but this is a good start.
Thanks all
2016 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x 6 speed manual. (Future TOAD?)
2014 Shadow Cruiser 313 BHS (Sold)
5 REPLIES 5

love2tow
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the feedback. It is much appreciated. Coming from 2 travel trailers, I am very tuned in to the weight issues. When I pulled with a 1/2 ton, it almost became an obsession to make sure I was well within my limits. Then having a 3/4 ton diesel made that much easier but then it was about balancing the loads ๐Ÿ™‚

I did a bunch of looking around last night and the only units that had more than 5000 lb towing capacities were a couple of class C's made by coachman and then Thor. And even then, they were only 7500 lbs. Then I get curious as to how they are getting 7500 lbs when almost all others have 5000. AND, I'm assuming that is with a 150 lb person driving with no gear, 1/4 tank of gas, etc...

One style of unit I found intriguing was a Super C on a Ford F550 chassis with a diesel engine. I believe this was made by Thor as well. I haven't had the chance to dig into build quality on those units but it is something else to consider.

Looking for that "perfect" unit is really a fun process. I appreciate the feedback you provided.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling 7500 pounds with a gas unit will be a challenge. You need to look both at the hitch rating and the overall weight rating of the coach and anything it pulls. That is called the GCWR. I was looking at class Cs's and found that while many had a 5000 pound hitch, they could not pull a 4500 pound vehicle because it would cause the set up to exceed the GCWR. When you look at the numbers, you will see the weight of the RV when empty but filled with fuel. Then you need to add the weight of the passengers and all you will carry - do not forget any water you may have in the tanks. Then you add what you will pull.

I think you will find that you will need to look at diesels in order to be able to pull over 5000 pounds. Look at used coaches that have been well cared for. Get maintenance records. The brands I would look at are Newmar, Country Coach, Tiffin and Winnebago.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
One thing I'd recommend would be to find your ideal new model RV in the next year or so. Then when you're ready to buy search for that particular one that's a year or two old and you'll save a LOT of money. Also, the kinks should have been worked out by then.

Buying new won't assure you that you'll have no problems.

Study the weights very carefully for what you want to pull. You'll need to take into account passengers, 'toys' and all belongings along with full fuel and water. Many time stated RV weights don't take into account options like an awning, etc.

I'm not familiar with Class C's so can't help there. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

love2tow
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Good luck in your search. I've read on these forums over and over, and it's all across the board, every band, make, model, design, and year has problems.

But, if you really want a better quality (and don't mind the price)... well... there really is no comparison: Newmar, Tuscany, Prevost are probably the TOP contenders. (but who can afford them?)

I've also noticed that problems seem to be everywhere and I'm okay with that. I guess that is part of the price of admission. The small issues I can handle. It's the big stuff that got me on my last TT. But, hopefully by starting early, I will be able to raise my chances of successful ownership. I'm really finding the towing capacities to be limiting so that might be the first hurdle.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck in your search. I've read on these forums over and over, and it's all across the board, every band, make, model, design, and year has problems.

But, if you really want a better quality (and don't mind the price)... well... there really is no comparison: Newmar, Tuscany, Prevost are probably the TOP contenders. (but who can afford them?)