cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Helped out some new campers this weekend

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Thought maybe some other new campers could learn from some of their mishaps.

First lets look at what they did right... Right off the bat the wife came over and asked for help guiding the hubby into the spot. Said they were on their first time out and she has heard horror stories. SO I guided her hubby in while showing her how to stay in his mirrors so he could see her.

Trying not to be a know it all I headed back to my site. I noticed he was unhooking and had not leveled the camper left to right or chocked the wheels. Back over to help. Got him level and chocked. Heading back to my site.

Look over again and see wifey with an orange extension cord out getting ready to plug the camper in. Head back over. Ask "Are you planning to use your A/C this weekend?" Yes. "That cord is not going to work for you." Notice only about 6 feet of 30 amp cord coming out of the "hole" in the camper. Tell hubby there should be about 20 more feet in there. 3 screws later we have all the cord out of the trailer. Still doesn't reach to the electrical box. I provide a proper 30 amp extension cord.

Next they hook up the water hose. Shortly after I see water running out of the bottom of the trailer. I shut of the water and we start looking for leaks. Bypass the hotwater heater. That Fixed the leak at the front. Another leak in the bathroom. Cant fix that one right now. No water for the weekend. WHEN YOU BUY A USED TRAILER HOOK UP EVERYTHING AT THE HOUSE BEFORE YOU DRIVE 1.5 HOURS TO A CAMPGROUND!.

Awning time....... It's windy. I tell him "If you are going to put your awning out you will need to stake it down or it will end up broken on the roof of the trailer." And that is where we removed it from 20 minutes later.

All in all they learned a lot in a short time and kept their spirits up. They really only need a few parts to fix the issues and they will be good to go. I was glad to help out with what I could and hopefully provided enough encouragement to get them to try again.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500
20 REPLIES 20

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
I am always willing to help if someone asks or I see them in serious distress. Nice of you to lend a hand.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent work there my good fellow!

Some would have stood by and chuckled to themselves not remembering their first trip out.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Great story. Sometimes you have to be careful in how you approach people in trying to help them out. Many do not want the help. Many are so frustrated with themselves that it comes off that was as well. Glad they were welcoming to the help. Lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

jwicker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to great RVers like you, newbies like me stand a chance in this learning curve.

On our maiden voyage in the TT, my wife immediately introduced herself to the neighbors as I was removing the sway control bar prior to backing into the spot.

We did (fairly) well (thanks to lurking on sites like this and YouTube).

We did, however need some help putting out our awning. The gentleman (and his wife) next door were very nice and he came over to help us. I asked that if he noticed us doing something stupid to please let us know.

On our exit, I walked over to the dump station and asked another guy if he minded if I watched to refresh what i had seen on Youtube. He had a good chuckle, but obliged.

The small RV community we have met, so far, have all been very nice and willing to help.
====================
jwicker
Indiana, USA
1991 Skamper 23' TT
1983 Chevy K5 Blazer

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like they needed the help you provided and should have listened a little better
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
That's what camping is all about. Helping out if you can and meeting new friends. I'm sure they were glad for all the help.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension