cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing a mud flap

elle8
Explorer
Explorer
evening ,,, going fulltime newbie here ,,,, 21 days away ,,,36 ft winnie vista 2011,,, i will be towing a jeep wrangler . is it necessary to have a mud flap on for protection of toad . and if so which kind is best . i see the full rubber ones and then i see the grass looking kind . i am thinking that the grass is lighter , therefore saving on gas . i trying to be very weight conscious . and are they easy to install or should i have it done .

thank you ,,,rickybobby
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
What one person said about the grass/solid ones, if they touch the ground they can throw pebbles up even better than the tires can.

My vote is for the Protect-a-tow... What I use, different name, but identical product, parts are interchangeable they are that identical.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a full rubber, full width flap and has worked fine. Just keep it about 4" from the road. I always slow down to about 30 mph, or less, when on a gravel road.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
I used a grass type for ten years and it helps with pebbles a lot.
Both the grass and solid ones are supposed to be installed so that there is about six inches of road clearance. If they are too close to the road pebbles can be thrown up.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We drove to Alaska and folks were removing their stiff flaps because of rocks flying and landing at the base of their windshield. We saw some with a layer of rocks laying there. We don't have a flap of any kind and received no damage to our Jeep.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We started towing a 2002 Wrangler behind out DP last year and I can't say that I notice any more rock chips now than it originaly had. A Jeep sits higher than most toads. Because it did need a new headlight, I installed Lexan headlights that wouldn't be broken by a flying rock and they let me install whatever brightness of bulb that I wanted. didn't install any additional mud flaps or rock screens.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Full width flaps have been known to kick up road debris in some circumstances, and "grass skirts" can kick up a lot of dust at times. I found that the best solution for keeping our toad cleaner and damage free was installing a "Protect-A-Tow. It even keeps the back of the coach cleaner, and only takes a minute to hook up.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate