cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leveling on a Downward Slope

MTHome
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I just purchased our first TT. It's a 23 ft Passport 195BR. We're learning the ropes and booked a site at a semi-local state park for July 4th weekend. I drove out to check the site and discovered it's got a pretty good downhill slope from the top of the site. Maybe it's just being new that makes it looks like a pretty good slope, but my first thought was how on earth are we going to get level on that?

I've got leveling blocks. Those yellow lego like ones. Any suggestions as the best way to do this?
18 REPLIES 18

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
All depends on how much slope and where your steps and stabilizers are located. Your stabilizers work best when they are not fully extended. Bring enough blocks (plastic or wood) to put blocking under the tongue jack for leveling, and under the stabilizers. You may even need some blocks to make a platform below your steps.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
If you still can, I would pick out the spot I wanted and ask for my reservation to be changed.
If one is available, they typically don't mind.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
If it's really bad you may want to bring along a bunch of 2X4s about 24 inches long that you can stack up log cabin style under your tongue jack and stabilizers. Be sure to use the type of wheel chocks that lock between the tires instead of just block the tires.

I've been in sites where I've had to raise the tongue as high as the tongue jack will go and then place blocks under the frame so I could raise the tongue jack up so I could put more blocks under it to get the front of the trailer even higher until level. Then I placed more blocks under the frame to stabilize the trailer. The rear bumper of the TT was nearly touching the ground.

I had to add blocks under the wooden step we normally use to raise it up to make it easier to get into the TT.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I've had to do that before. Sloping down on the front: I've used wooden blocks under the tongue jack but the yellow blocks will work too. Just stack a bunch of them up until you have enough to level it front to back. If you have to go up a lot, wood might be safer.

Sloping down to the rear: I've had to set the tongue of the trailer on the ground before to get the trailer level.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"