cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to this RV thing! Just purchased a '76 fixer upper

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! I am brand new to the community and would appreciate any/all feedback and advice. I am(I would like to say) pretty decent with doing my own work mechanically. I have never owned a camper/van like this ever so everything will most likely be a learning experience. Luckily I have nothing but time and have a $1000 to start with, which about $300 has been spent on fundamental tools to get started.

A little about what I just purchased!

1976 Dodge B300 or CB300? Sportsman Van front end
1976? Titan Camper
Engine: 5.2L V8 318Cu LA Chrysler
Trans: ??
Drivetrain: ??
Water damage: You bectha!
Camper shell: Fiberglass?
Camper structure frame: Aluminum

Gauges don't work, odometer is wrong, water leaks from the roof a little, I can hear what may be a valve spring loose or an exhaust leak from the manifold?( I know...could be bad or could be horrifying lol)I'll post videos and pictures in the next post.

After hours of researching and some googling I still am unable to find the specific camper that is on the van. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction?

I plan on ordering a lot of tune up parts for the engine like new plugs, wires, cap & rotor, carb cleaner, battery, gaskets, manifold, u-joints... the list will grow substantially I presume.

The best part? She runs and drives so we're off to a good start at least. I drove her about 20 miles on an Alaska freeway with hills and sharp turns and she handled very well considering.

I paid $900 for her and it definitely needs work but I feel at $900 I saw the potential and went for it!

Also, I am not sure if I posted this in right thread? If not, please let me know.

Thanks in advance! Feels surreal that I actually own this beauty. Excited to get started!
21 REPLIES 21

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Patrick,

First, this respondent is the current owner of a 1973 GMC and was the owner of a 1979 Cayo/Dodge. Please take what I suggest very seriously.

This may sound stupid, but you have a house on a truck. The truck part is easy to deal with because you can find people that know about even one that is that old and there are books*.

The house is the hard part. To this end, start a notebook today. It should be part truck and part house. Collect the manufacturer and part number of everything you can right now. Put that all in the notebook. If you need documentation for the installed appliances, do a web search. I would bet that most can be found and probably many at the GMC Manuals website.

If it truly is all structure aluminum and fiberglass, then you have a chance to keep this a very long time. You have to close off the leaks as soon as you can find them. Such leaks are usually visible from the outside, but it will take some looking. I have found that the marine caulking materials are the best. The vibration is more than what any household material can accommodate.

Start now at getting used to doing the basic maintenance that the truck requires so it does not give out on you. That will not be difficult. But, something to put in you schedule early is that all the rubber is suspect. It is just too old. I suspect that it has not had a heat problem, but age alone will get it. So, count on replacing all the rubber. The tires are a given. (If it has 16.5 rims, hunt up 16s as those old sizes are getting hard to find.) When I say all rubber parts, I mean all. Belts, Brake hoses, Coolant hoses, Fuel lines and door seals. Fortunately, all that stuff is work that can be done by a technician with a rating only slightly above "Yellow Canary". Do not try to salvage the coolant or brake fluid as they are also probably junk. Coolant usually is only good for about three years before the anti-corrosives are depleted and brake fluid absorbs water and so is only good for about five years.

Oh, an 318 LA is a really solid motor, just keep plug wires 5&7 apart so it does not cross-fire and The valve seats tend to wear with no-lead fuels. If that is an exhaust leak, start soaking the bolts in ATF/Acetone now or some good penetrent and maybe you can unscrew it.

*I think I saw a chassis book in my shop. If I can find it again, it is yours for shipping.

Good luck guy.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
So I got to tearin down some of the walls and there is really old and somewhat molded spray foam insulation. I would love to remove that old insulation and put in new insulation. Does anyone have any ideas, or have experience on how to remove this stuff?

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Any RV is better than no RV. Now that you own your first land yacht, the learning curve will be steep with a 1970s vintage rig. Being mechanically inclined will get you home. The old vans were pretty heavy. Keep an eye on your trans and the front end. Those components tend to wear out fast especially on crummy roads. Water leaks can really be a mess. Good luck with your new home.

Good advice! I will be looking under the belly of the beast and inspect everything very soon. I imagine the water leaks would be! The plan is to gut it dang near close to just the frame and camper body to inspect it for any wear and tear from the water leaks. I'd imagine a lot of sanding, plugging, filling, and spraying.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any RV is better than no RV. Now that you own your first land yacht, the learning curve will be steep with a 1970s vintage rig. Being mechanically inclined will get you home. The old vans were pretty heavy. Keep an eye on your trans and the front end. Those components tend to wear out fast especially on crummy roads. Water leaks can really be a mess. Good luck with your new home.

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
looks great say a diamond in the making.

Thanks! Here's to many weekends filled with beers and nights with cussing!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
looks great say a diamond in the making.

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Have all your fuel lines tested for leaks. You will likely have to replace all fuel lines due to pinprick holes in the hoses.

Oh yes, will be adding that to my rockauto parts list as well!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have all your fuel lines tested for leaks. You will likely have to replace all fuel lines due to pinprick holes in the hoses.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
jim1632 wrote:
Several Items -

Sign on to the truck camper group on this site. Your rig is more a camper than a motorhome although the sleeper is bolted to the chassis instead of sliding into a bed. Lots of info on that group site.

On sealing - it looks like the framing surrounding your front window is likely to have openings to seal. Use some marine caulking to close up any wholes - advise that you first remove the parts to find out what lurks below.

Do lots of resarch before spending money. Enter your problem on YouTube and you will probably find an answer.

You bought a "home" and a motor vehicle. Research Dodge truck discussions to find a group is interested in your vehicle. Then rely on RV.net for the home area as you get to it. Right now, you can sleep in the overhead or on the floor if you drive to a camping area. Seems to me that you should get the vehicle portion into good shape before starting on the rear unit. If the vehicle is running and cleaned up a little, I suspect you can resale for what you have in it if the restoration seems too much. At minimum, you have a good work van as it is.

Solid! Thanks for the advice. I literally just purchased her yesterday and I am not relying on it by any means to live in at the moment. Nor is this going to be my only source of travel. If anything this is going to be my weekend project turned weekend getaway.

I have gotten some input on sealant and tape for the restoration water sealant.

I will also be starting with the motor and trans tune up. I will try to stay relative though to this forum by posting topics related to the "home" portion.

Thanks again!

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Post your photos on this Thread and you'll get lots of info.

yeah I just found that same thread myself. Thanks I will post there as well!

jim1632
Explorer
Explorer
Several Items -

Sign on to the truck camper group on this site. Your rig is more a camper than a motorhome although the sleeper is bolted to the chassis instead of sliding into a bed. Lots of info on that group site.

On sealing - it looks like the framing surrounding your front window is likely to have openings to seal. Use some marine caulking to close up any wholes - advise that you first remove the parts to find out what lurks below.

Do lots of resarch before spending money. Enter your problem on YouTube and you will probably find an answer.

You bought a "home" and a motor vehicle. Research Dodge truck discussions to find a group is interested in your vehicle. Then rely on RV.net for the home area as you get to it. Right now, you can sleep in the overhead or on the floor if you drive to a camping area. Seems to me that you should get the vehicle portion into good shape before starting on the rear unit. If the vehicle is running and cleaned up a little, I suspect you can resale for what you have in it if the restoration seems too much. At minimum, you have a good work van as it is.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Post your photos on this Thread and you'll get lots of info.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

HappyCamper_92
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone got any input on water-sealant and the prepping for it on the roof? In my mind I picture it in this order:

Sand it down, fill in holes and cracks with adhesive sealant, let everything dry, sand it again, spray or roll on water-sealant, spray everything with final paint coat.

Does that sound right?

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
Resize your pictures to 640x480