cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newb

patchelect
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are contemplating renting a TT. I've looked at this very helpful site for my answers but didn't find them, possibly because I tend not to see the obvious!

We boated with a large cruiser for years so the camping transition won't be difficult. What is looking like a problem will be matching vehicle to trailer. Initially we plan on renting a Class C Motorhome but also realize that the limitation of taking your bedroom to the store when you need a quart of milk. For that reason we're tossing around a TT. We're not going to replace a vehicle so I'm trying to determine my possibilities. We plan to always rent the trailer due to lack of storage areas but even if that changes we need a baseline as a starting point.

My planned tow vehicle is a 2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4X4 with a 3.9 V6 and an automatic and A/C. It does not have any factory tow package so I know I'll need to add a tranny cooler at the least and install a tow rig and wiring. But beyond that I'm having trouble determining a real world trailer that won't be a mistake. We don't expect a 28' luxo barge and can deal with much smaller. We'd like to be able to get out and about after landing and setting up. We have no plans on touring for extended periods which is another reason we only plan to rent.From what I can glean from the truck specs I have a 9200# gross vehicle weight total. The rear is 3.92. I'm looking at possibly towing something in the 17-19' range. I am in Massachusetts and travel will be likely limited to the Northeast.

This is all in the planning stage as retirement is being elusive but we do have the dream. I'll admit my trailer towing experiences are extremely limited although I know I can learn the nuances over time. I'm currently more interested in TV/TT match ups. The rest will come naturally.

Thanks in advance.
Paul
1969-1970 University of Viet Nam 11B. I was drafted. Agent Orange is still killing and maiming in Viet Nam.
17 REPLIES 17

patchelect
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the truck IS a low mileage at 65K. Rarely used for hauling much weight except for my tail. However I appreciate the input on the possibilities and limitations. I won't rule out a pop-up either I only was peeking at full sized units. my recollections of pop-ups date back to the 60's when they were guaranteed to leak when it rained, especially when you were driving!
Paul
1969-1970 University of Viet Nam 11B. I was drafted. Agent Orange is still killing and maiming in Viet Nam.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
patchelect wrote:
My planned tow vehicle is a 2001 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4X4 with a 3.9 V6 and an automatic and A/C. It does not have any factory tow package so I know I'll need to add a tranny cooler at the least and install a tow rig and wiring.

The rear is 3.92. I'm looking at possibly towing something in the 17-19' range.

I currently tow a dual axle 19' travel trailer that typically averages ~ 4500 lbs loaded for camping with a 1/2 ton 5.3L Chevy Avalanche ... no way would I consider towing it with a small V6 truck like yours. A 3.92 axle will certainly help but realistically you should be looking at a lighter weight single axle trailer weighing well under 3000 lbs dry. Preferably that trailer would be low profile to minimize drag on your vehicle caused by wind resistance but if you're set on a full height travel trailer you might find something in the Coachmen Apex Nano series, though even those may be a bit porky.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
For an old 6cyl mid size pickup, I wouldn't go any bigger than a popup tent camper or one of those small r pod type campers.
Even at that, the health and upkeep and suitability for running your vehicle at its limits can be pretty subjective. Is it a low 70kmi, cherry, well maintained like newish 2001 or 150-200kmi daily driver that gets repairs as needed and still happens to be on the road save for what has rusted off?
The upside is the old Dakotas drivetrain is basically a 1/2 ton in a smaller package. That said, Dodge had about the worst auto transmissions of the era and the 3.9 is no powerhouse. I had 4 different Dodge 1500s from 95-01 models and while they served me well, the transmission was nothing to rave about. I only did light towing and only one of them I kept over 100kmi.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold