Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie from RI

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Hey All,
Just pulling the trigger on a Class A to visit NC since a grandbaby is on the way. I always like to join a forum whenever I find a new obsession to try and avoid the common mistakes.

I will be lurking around to learn a bit and may throw out some newbie question on best route down 95 and such so bear with me
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)
18 REPLIES 18

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forums and hope you have a successful first trip. What a great way to engage in your maiden voyage than to plan a trip to see a new grandbaby! We use our camper to visit family whenever possible. For years we'd pull our trailer to my in-laws farm and spend week-ends with them. It was great having our own bedroom space, and at the end of the day when we'd had enough, we had somewhere to retreat to to get away from everything. They still had their privacy in their home and we had our privacy in the camper.

All worked well until one Sunday morning, we planned on going to church with them. No problem. We got all ready and decided to wait for them inside their house. The back door was open, so we went on in, sat in their sun room talking softly, and could here mom and dad - in law talking among themselves.

Then the phone rang and out comes my mother-in-law to answer the phone ... absolutely butt naked! .... OMG! I think she got her kicks out of it, because she knew I was there (because I started laughing so hard and slid down in the chair to hide my face!). She just stood there, took the phone in hand, and carried it behind the wall. Meanwhile, we were (literally) trapped in that room and couldn't escape.

Well .... we all laughed about that for the next several years! My wife thought it was hilarious and still won't let me live it down. And I think I'm permanently blind now!!!! (nah, just kidding!)

Anyway, we learned that day to always announce ourselves before entering the house.

We also spent a considerable amount of time in the Fall with them, when harvest season rolled around. I'd help my father-in-law and his brother with the harvest. I'd drive one of the grain trucks from the field to the grain elevator and back. My father-in-law drove the the other truck, and his brother drove the combine. We'd meet at the elevator or be waiting in the field for the next truck to get filled up. We ate and laughed, and had good times. The ladies would bring food out the fields for lunch and supper. Sometimes their grand kids would show up, or friends. It was all great. I treasure those memories. My father-in-law passed away 2 years ago (on Sept 29). That changed everything. His brother still farms, but has his crew he works with, so he's doing ok. Without my father-in-law there, it's just not the same any more.

So, after all this rambling, what I'm saying is, using your camper to visit family is a GREAT way to do it! It's really nice having your own privacy once you get there.

We visited our daughter when she lived in Iowa. There was a small private campground not to far from where she lived. We hung out there a lot. And now they live in Kansas City, MO, and we visit them once a year too, take the camper and it world VERY, VERY well!

Enjoy that grandbaby! and CONGRATS! On the camper AND the grandbaby!

Edit:

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the forums! Glad you are here. ๐Ÿ™‚ You have joined the largest RV forum in the world and will get many different kinds of posts and reactions - some helpful and some not so much - as you probably have noticed in the past two and a half years.

Look around at the different forum choices we have and you will be sure to find some that will interest you.
I hope you get all your questions answered and post often.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Aren't there airlines going to NC? Seems like a lot of money to just visit!

Funny....wife and pooch don't fly and I like to try new hobbies out anyway.

Thanks for the welcome smack...makes me feel like I joined the right forum
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Aren't there airlines going to NC? Seems like a lot of money to just visit!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)