cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about camping in the winter

EydieG
Explorer
Explorer
Although we have had our RV a year, we didn't use it last winter so we are still learning. We have plans to go to Nashville, TN at the end of December/beginning of January for about a week. I'm thinking low temps will be in the 20's at night. At a campground in the North Georgia mountains last month a neighbor told us we should unhook our water hose every night so it won't freeze. Is there anything else we need to be aware of? Our heat works really well so our coach stays warm. Thanks for any advice! 🙂
Brand new owners of a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar DP
24 REPLIES 24

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
EydieG wrote:
Although we have had our RV a year, we didn't use it last winter so we are still learning. ... Our heat works really well so our coach stays warm. Thanks for any advice! 🙂

Sounds like your furnace hasn't been used in below freezing temps yet. Make sure you have plenty of propane and you might even want to pick up a small electric heater to supplement the furnace.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
When your hose was disconnected - did you have enough water to flush the toilet at night?

I've camped a few times where I would disconnect the hose at night - but I always ran enough water into the onboard fresh water tank to have water at night.

For a week long camp, it will likely be easier to just fill the freshwater tank and disconnect the freshwater hose. Only reconnect once every day or two to add water as you need, then stow the hose.

That way you don't have to get up a zero dark thirty and connect the hose so the wife can make coffee, and you are not out in the dark disconnecting it after having to wait for her to finish her shower.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

EydieG
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry everyone but now I am so confused 🙂 Are you saying we should use the water from the fresh tank instead of city water? What we did last month was just disconnect the hose at night and then connect it back during the daytime. We are from middle Georgia and most of our RV trips so far have been to Florida so we aren't really used to much cold weather.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Seeing you have a Newmar you already have one of the best for cold weather. We can go a whole week without dumping or refilling our tanks for 2 of us using shower and toilet only in the coach. Enjoy yourself.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

EydieG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Larry! By onboard tank, are you talking about the fresh water tank?

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
Your Dutch Star should have heated water compartment. Fill up your onboard tank every day. Disconnect hose and put inside a compartment. Dump when necessary and fill when needed and you should not have a problem. It is usually not that cold here but lately we have been as cold as anywhere. Below freezing is all it takes. Come on and enjoy Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

In that temperature range it may be necessary to protect the fridge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the suggestions already presented. Might want to think about opening lower cabinet doors at night inside the RV to help heat circulate to all piping, particularly if your RV is not enclosed underneath.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I only hook up my sewer hose when I dump. That way your wet bay stays closed. I like to monitor the temp in my wet bay.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are two options most people use. Either one of the already made up heated water hoses, or make your own. Or add water to the water tank and use the water pump. If you have tank heat pads either method will work.