cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

roof

Rickkessler54
Explorer
Explorer
this fall when it's time to condition the top of my camper, do I need to remove the old caulk or do I caulk over the top of the old caulk?
4 REPLIES 4

Rickkessler54
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. This web site has been a huge help for me.

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
I totally agree with LLeopold to take off as much of the lap seal and put on Eternabond tape. In the long run it lasts a lot longer.

LLeopold
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that it really isn't caulk in the sense of latex caulk. Your roof is covered, most likely, with EPDM rubber, and the sealant around the fixtures and edges is Lap Sealant.

There are two kinds of lap sealant - self-leveling and non-sagging.

I just went through a roof reconditioning using a combination of Eternabond tape and Liquid Roof after finding water leaks in my FW where the lap sealant appeared to be ok (no surface cracks, but there were areas that had slightly separated from the rubber roof and water found its way down through the walls, the repair project is a different story).

So, regardless of the condition of your roof and lap sealant, there is regular roof maintenance you should consider.

First, try to keep your roof free from debris regularly by checking it before you go out if you're parked under a tree. It could be a simple as a quick visual check. Branches, twigs, etc. can poke holes in your roof if in the right place.

Clean your roof twice a year or as needed. Dicor has an excellent video on this topic. Camping World has the products referenced in the video and repair the lap sealant as needed.

I actually recommend that you consider applying Eternabond tape or equivalent over all the lap sealant areas as additional "insurance" against water intrusion.

Hope this helps.
Lou Leopold
Between RVs at this point
but I continue to tent camp!

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
If the old caulk is loose or peeling, pull it off before re-caulking . If it appears to be in good shape look very closely for small hairline cracks or loose edges and re-caulk over the areas that look suspect.
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)