cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should you cover bathroom fan with vent cover?

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Today I installed 3 RV roof vent covers, I left the bathroom Fan uncovered to eliminate the #2 odors quickly. should you cover or not?
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit
25 REPLIES 25

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
BubbaChris wrote:
Since this is the Beginner forum, quick reminder - turn off the bathroom vent fan before flushing.

....otherwise you might get light-headed when you open the flush valve.
..after the first sniff..
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
I have to vote with the cover it crowd. We went without last year (our first camping season) and we really didn't have any issues. Just once I had to jump out of bed to make sure it was closed when a late night rain started.

But as spring inched its way in this year I kept having this nagging desire to put them on, and did so the week before our second outing of the season.

That second outing was a monsoon! It was soooo nice to be able to keep the vent open and the fan running when we were showering. Er and not to mention other stuff.

Since that second trip we've had the rain following us all Summer. When we were down at Ft. Wilderness I think it poured every single day, and for several hours, not just the typical FL afternoon storm.

Last week, back here in Ohio, and another pretty much all day rain day... Once again glad I had the covers, could wake up to pouring rain, and relax. Well... I broke my nose on our first day out, but that's another thread... :^) At least I didn't have to worry if the vent was open while I was at the E.R. getting stitched back together.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I put a cover on my bathroom vent (the only vent) and haven't closed the vent in over 4 years. Wait that's not true, I closed it once when it was really cold out to keep the furnace from running too much. I also have a very high volume vent fan and it doesn't seem bothered by the cover at all.

This is what we have done. Same amount of years too. No issues.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
BubbaChris wrote:
Since this is the Beginner forum, quick reminder - turn off the bathroom vent fan before flushing.

....otherwise you might get light-headed when you open the flush valve.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I put a cover on my bathroom vent (the only vent) and haven't closed the vent in over 4 years. Wait that's not true, I closed it once when it was really cold out to keep the furnace from running too much. I also have a very high volume vent fan and it doesn't seem bothered by the cover at all.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I leave the bathroom vent open to eliminate gray tank odors from the sink as well.

HOWEVER, every day save one since I parked where Im parked it has rained, and some of those have been downright impressive storms, And yes, Accuweather says it's coming today as well.

The Camco vent cover lets the odor out but keeps the rain out as well,,,, Provided the rain does not approach from astern (Thankfully that is the way it s been going TO THE REAR, not the way it is coming from)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, they don't restrict air flow significantly.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
rvten wrote:
I am one of very few. Who do not use vent covers. Get along just fine without.

I somewhat agree, we went 9 years with no vent covers, they are not really necessary, but can be a nice feature. I joined the crowd when we got our new trailer and installed 2 Maxxair IIs and enjoy the fact we can leave them open in bad weather.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
cyntdon2010 wrote:
---snip---
Yes! I am getting the bathroom vent cover. and then the super fan
oh, so there IS something you don't wanna talk about... ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
hey you guys are great, the feedback has been very helpful.

Yes! I am getting the bathroom vent cover. and then the super fan
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I covered all of my vents with MaxxAirs including the bathroom vent,BUT I also replaced that little, noisy, inefficient, fan with one of THESE.

thanks for the link. might replace the whirr and buzz myself.
bumpy

Drew_K
Explorer
Explorer
The bathroom is the #1 vent I'd want covered, for #2 reasons. What if it's raining hard and someone is going nuclear in there?
2013 F250 CC 4x4 Diesel
2014 Open Range Roamer Travel Trailer RT316RLS

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have vent covers on all my vents and do not have any problems with them