cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Small motorhome (<26 ft) - Class C or Class A?

mayble
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. I'm a newcomer to the forum, looking to buy an RV next year. I've been reading this forum daily, enjoying the discussions and especially the different perspectives from all of you.

I've been perusing RV Trader and craigslist for used motorhomes. There are plenty of Class C models that seem suitable, and a very few Class As (Fleetwood Flair and Safari Trek caught my eye). Originally I was looking at Class Bs (love the Roadtrek), but I suspect they're lacking in both overall storage and water capacity for boondocking. I'd love to hear from those of you with experience what the advantages are of each class.

The Class A coaches seem to have a more open feel, and the view from the cockpit looks pretty amazing. They appear to be generally narrower than a comparable sized C, which would seem to be an advantage on narrow, winding roads or city streets. I've been unable to find specs tho, so maybe that's an optical illusion?
Class C's in that size range are more plentiful, which puts more (and newer) models in my price range.
Price range tbd, but probably up to 25k.

I will primarily be traveling solo with my dog, with an occasional travel companion. I plan to do a lot of dry camping and city touring as well as staying in state/national parks, etc.

My "must haves" (so far) include:
*a bed I don't have to climb a ladder to get into (either a permanent bed or folding couch is fine, and a cabover is okay for that occasional guest)
*a decent sized frig/freezer (not huge, but bigger than a breadbox)
*storage space for camping necessities
*small enough to go anywhere (no toad)
*no slide out

So I'm putting this out there hoping for some insight. What am I overlooking? Generally, what are the differences, driving/handling-wise, between a Class A and Class C of similar length? How do they compare in width/height? What else should I be asking myself?
10 REPLIES 10

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 Winnebago Itasca Sunrise 25RC Class A.
Length is 25' 4".
6.5 L GM front-end diesel engine.
I travel alone and feel this is really a good size for me.
Has all the features you listed, plus driver's door in
addition to typical RV mid-entry door.
Full 6' couch, and lots of storage inside & out.
No-tow driving = about 16 mpg; with towing = about 11 mpg.
Very happy with it.
Don't know how many model-years after 1997 they made the front-end
diesel in this size, which I consider perfect for 1 person.

mayble
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:

The big picture window in front of a class A sure is nice until you drive into the sun...then the overhang of the cabover is really nice. Frankly, for one person, it's rare to really be able to catch much more than a passing glance at the scenery while driving.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
For most roads, length has relatively little effect on things. It does matter a lot more when parking or maneuvering in tight quarters (gas stations, tight parking lots, that sort of thing). With my 32' class C, I find I am more concerned about height and the comfort of driving over bad roads than I am about width and length. I would not care to drive it through a major city center, though, if I could avoid itโ€”even if I knew I had parking available wherever I was going. The width does come into play sometimes with the comfort level of driving through construction zones, particularly when they bring out the Jersey barriers at what sure looks to be the width of the RV plus an inch on either side (though that is an illusion), and doubly so at night when it's harder to gauge how close one is to them in the mirrors.

The big picture window in front of a class A sure is nice until you drive into the sun...then the overhang of the cabover is really nice. Frankly, for one person, it's rare to really be able to catch much more than a passing glance at the scenery while driving.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
mayble wrote:
bob_nestor wrote:

As for storage, it is a little cramped but I do have room that I haven't filled yet. I keep things like hiking and backpacking equipment, tools, lawn chairs, outdoor grill and other assorted stuff on board mainly in the outside compartments leaving the inside cubby holes available for the rest of my junk, food and clothes.

Okay, maybe I was too hasty taking Roadtrek off the table ๐Ÿ™‚
I just couldn't imagine where to carry the chairs, grill, etc. There must be more outside storage than I thought.
Unfortunately, the older (i.e. affordable) ones I've seen all have that tiny under counter frig. How does one carry a week's worth of provisions in those things?

For lawn chairs I got a couple that fold into a compact tubular shape that can be stored in the large outside bin or under the rear seat which is where I store mine. The refer in my unit is a 5 cu ft Dometic RM2554. It does have a small freezer, but overall it holds quite a bit of food.

I basically had to search of some of the things I wanted to take with me and find items that were stowable, like the lawn chairs and table. Most Class Bs are like fiberglass tents on wheels, so if you've done any tent camping or backpacking you learn quickly to adapt those packing skills when outfitting your RV.

mayble
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:

As for storage, it is a little cramped but I do have room that I haven't filled yet. I keep things like hiking and backpacking equipment, tools, lawn chairs, outdoor grill and other assorted stuff on board mainly in the outside compartments leaving the inside cubby holes available for the rest of my junk, food and clothes.

Okay, maybe I was too hasty taking Roadtrek off the table ๐Ÿ™‚
I just couldn't imagine where to carry the chairs, grill, etc. There must be more outside storage than I thought.
Unfortunately, the older (i.e. affordable) ones I've seen all have that tiny under counter frig. How does one carry a week's worth of provisions in those things?

mayble
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
Mable,
What is a big hang up in your note is the thing about storage of camping gear. That leaves an awful lot open to interpretation.
If you are talking about back-packing (real camping), most can manage that, we do (did). We (used to)carry a lot of stuff that is just for use when away from the coach. (We don't do this as much as we once did because I have developed a bad knee.) But, if your camping gear includes a Coleman stove, a house tent and your Yachtzee, then there will be problems.

Matt

Thanks for the input. I'm definitely a "lazy camper" lol! I'm talking camp chairs, tarps, folding table, camp stove, etc. Not glamping, but not sitting on the ground eating MRE's either ๐Ÿ˜‰
I know there's no substitute for climbing in and out of a few dozen rigs, and getting behind the wheel. Unfortunately there aren't enough RVs in my neck of the woods to see the various types in person. I'd just like to narrow down my search somewhat.
Vehicle age isn't an issue for me until it becomes impossible to find service/parts (condition being the determining factor, of course). I'm seeing mostly mid 1990's and newer.
Another option I'm considering is buying a disposable, "hunter special" type to start with - maybe an older Class C for $2-3k. That would probably keep me entertained for a couple summers but wouldn't be my choice for longer trips. Retirement and extended cruising is still about 8-10 years away.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Class C come in different widths - I see them from in 90, 95 and 99 widths
Class A are a bit wider 101 -102 - by law the max width for a motor home is 102 with the slides in
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
mayble wrote:
I've been perusing RV Trader and craigslist for used motorhomes. There are plenty of Class C models that seem suitable, and a very few Class As (Fleetwood Flair and Safari Trek caught my eye). Originally I was looking at Class Bs (love the Roadtrek), but I suspect they're lacking in both overall storage and water capacity for boondocking. I'd love to hear from those of you with experience what the advantages are of each class.

I have a Roadtrek 210P and about 1/2 my camping is dry camping. I can easily go a week on the tanks and when my SO joins me we can do about 3 days. This does require knowing how to do navy showers. The bigger problem is electrical and in addition to the on-board generator I have a portable solar panel. The solar does a good job of keeping the batteries up though so it was a good addition.

Mine is a twin bed unit that I had to special order because at the time some of the people I camped with I had no desire to sleep with. Now days whether it's just me or me and my SO we tend to convert the twins into a King, and the only annoying thing about this is having to convert it most evenings and mornings.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Mable,

I have what you want, but you may not want it. The newest at approaching 40yo, and that can be an inconvenience. You will be hared pressed to find any other class A that fits you template, but there are lots of Cs and even a few Bs.

Your target price would indicate 7 to 10yo. If you buy at this age, just get it gone over by a good mechanic. If it is a wood structure and it shows any water leaks, walk away.

What is a big hang up in your note is the thing about storage of camping gear. That leaves an awful lot open to interpretation.
If you are talking about back-packing (real camping), most can manage that, we do (did). We (used to)carry a lot of stuff that is just for use when away from the coach. (We don't do this as much as we once did because I have developed a bad knee.) But, if your camping gear includes a Coleman stove, a house tent and your Yachtzee, then there will be problems.

My honest suggestion; Layout your pack, just like a planning day. Look at how large all the essential and elective pieces are. Take pictures and now, when you are shopping, compare that to the storage spaces. If you are cleaver, you can probably do with less space (volume)than than you thought. Remember, you will want daily access to the things you will also pack.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

forthefunofit94
Explorer
Explorer
Search RUV's. Either Axix/?. I forget the brand, but they are in the range of 24 to 26ft long.
David & Karen Castellon
2015 F150 XLT
302 w/tow & anti-sway package
Backup camera & brake controller
EQUAL-I-ZER hitch