cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wife wants to take away my Majestic for Artic Fox

path1
Explorer
Explorer
(Didn't know if this fits in Trailer or 5th wheels, so I put in Beginning RVing)

Wife wants to get Artic Fox or Silver Artic Fox (I don't know difference?)

How are aftermarket parts?

Are most parts available from any RV dealer? (no more backorders for manufacture specific parts, if you can even get part in couple years)

How do they hold together?

Got rid of 37foot 5th wheel today and have 33 trailer with camping lot to go along with 2 other campground lots. Then we will be totally mobile.

Once we get rid of the above we will be down to a 2 RV family. "My" Majestic will have to die in my arms before I get rid of "my" traveling machine. But for longer trips and staying out for more than 2 or 3 weeks I can see wives point. "My" Majestic does get small and do hate packing up camp to pick up the milk we forget to buy earlier. Not to mention it is almost at max or over max weight. Thanks to all the stuff we really don't need but somehow ends up in rv.

Any comments on Northwood Mfg?

I understand they build good by many people, but they had some problems couple years ago with leaks or how they were held together some way? The one we saw at RV show, it looked like a tunnel inside with very little light. And the colors that many manufactures recently went to looks like RV is dirty before you use it. To many dark colors (browns, gray, etc) But that is wives department of inside looks.

What do you think? Do you have one of these? How is working out for you.

I don't think we will buy new. We've already been had once by Holiday Rambler with a new RV. But keeping an eye out for used Seattle area.

I'm not sure if we'll get trailer or 5th wheel. Would love to get a van someday, that would do away with 5th wheel, but I like how 5th wheel pulls down the road.

(So maybe will come down to floor plan wife falls in love with again. Strange how she can look at an RV for hours at something like how the sun will come thru window or something totally non-utilitarian in RV, she just waits me out, till I say "will you just get something and let's go" I've already honed in on the important stuff of how manufacture builds and she picks the floor plan. Has worked out great for us so far of many RV's (7). All except the Holiday Rambler that an employee at factory put a screw thru the drain pipe in bath and the leak didn't show up for long time and Holiday Rambler said "not our problem".

Your thoughts? Northwood Manufacturing

Thanks
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
10 REPLIES 10

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:

Nearest new AF dealer is more than 800 miles away

OK, if you only want new, I found three used Arctic Foxes in Florida, including a 24-5N

We owned one for a decade and it's one of the best floor-plans they ever made
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
My only problem with them is that there are no dealers in my area.

X2, it would be on my short list if you could get one here

I know they exist there, some friends drove from Texas to Florida to pickup a used 29-5T

Nearest new AF dealer is more than 800 miles away
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very happy with our AF truck camper. I would also highly recommend Apache campers as a dealer. Bought my first pop up from them 20 years ago and then a year ago my TC from them. Same great people and great service.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Going on 1 year with our Northwood Fox MOuntain. It's the lower level line for 5'ers. Had a slow water leak in a pex fitting. Fixed under warranty. That's it. Been virtually perfect since. Over 60+ nights now in it. Close to 6000 miles. Everything is holding up great.

I will agree that Northwood could use a new interior designer. But the quality is what really counts. I don't care if they put all one color in it as ling as the stuff holds up. If I bought another Northwood product it would be a 27-5L. 2" longer than ours with more room. Can't haul anything else as they are heavy.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:

I know they exist there, some friends drove from Texas to Florida to pickup a used 29-5T
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife wants to get Artic Fox or Silver Artic Fox (I don't know difference?)

You don't know the difference between an Arctic Fox and your wife? Of you don't know the difference between the Arctic Fox and the Silver Fox? That difference is amenities with the Silver Fox having more amenities. As somebody else said if the wife ain't happy neigther will you be.

How are aftermarket parts?

Are most parts available from any RV dealer? (no more backorders for manufacture specific parts, if you can even get part in couple years)

How do they hold together?

Northwood is one of the few manufacturers that make their own frames. They are solid and compared to many other RV's fairly heavy.

Got rid of 37foot 5th wheel today and have 33 trailer with camping lot to go along with 2 other campground lots. Then we will be totally mobile.

Once we get rid of the above we will be down to a 2 RV family. "My" Majestic will have to die in my arms before I get rid of "my" traveling machine. But for longer trips and staying out for more than 2 or 3 weeks I can see wives point. "My" Majestic does get small and do hate packing up camp to pick up the milk we forget to buy earlier. Not to mention it is almost at max or over max weight. Thanks to all the stuff we really don't need but somehow ends up in rv.

Arctic Fox/Silver Fox has large slideouts making the trailer/fifth wheel quite large inside. How big you need is your personal decision.

Any comments on Northwood Mfg?

They seem to have a good reputation and stand behind their warranty.

I understand they build good by many people, but they had some problems couple years ago with leaks or how they were held together some way? The one we saw at RV show, it looked like a tunnel inside with very little light. And the colors that many manufactures recently went to looks like RV is dirty before you use it. To many dark colors (browns, gray, etc) But that is wives department of inside looks.

Check out these forums as there is some discussion that prior to 2005 model year there could be delamination issues.

What do you think? Do you have one of these? How is working out for you.

I don't think we will buy new. We've already been had once by Holiday Rambler with a new RV. But keeping an eye out for used Seattle area.

How can you equate a purchase you made years ago with a potential new one today? Different companies, different times. It does not compute. If you want to purchase pre-owned that is your perogrative but don't let that past purchase influence the next purchase from a different company.

I'm not sure if we'll get trailer or 5th wheel. Would love to get a van someday, that would do away with 5th wheel, but I like how 5th wheel pulls down the road.

Get a Hensely, ProPride or PullRite hitch and the TT will pull well. This is a heavy trailer or fifth wheel so be sure you have a stout tow vehicle.

(So maybe will come down to floor plan wife falls in love with again. Strange how she can look at an RV for hours at something like how the sun will come thru window or something totally non-utilitarian in RV, she just waits me out, till I say "will you just get something and let's go" I've already honed in on the important stuff of how manufacture builds and she picks the floor plan. Has worked out great for us so far of many RV's (7). All except the Holiday Rambler that an employee at factory put a screw thru the drain pipe in bath and the leak didn't show up for long time and Holiday Rambler said "not our problem".

Your thoughts? Northwood Manufacturing

You might check out Apache Camping Center as they are a local Arctic Fox dealer.

Thanks
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Well, over 15 years we've owned two Northwoods, we would again if we needed to, but shouldn't. Our first was a 24-5N (no longer made), the perfect rig for week-end and weekish trips. The most storage of any small rig I've ever seen,
Our current rig has almost the same floor plan as the current 27-5L (older 27-5L's had the bedroom slide on the other side, even older ones had no bedroom slide)

They are not the best on the market, but they give among the best value for the money.
As for interior, recall that if She ain't happy, no one is going to be happy.

I would swing by to Sumner RV and see what they have on the lot and start from there.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wanted an Artic Fox TT, but my wife was uncomfortable with the idea of towing, and had this vision of extended family all living in the RV while it was moving. So we got a C motorhome (Winnebago, not Majestic) and it worked the way she wanted to work. Until she died, now I have to figure out what RV works for me, considering how much money I have tied up in her RV.

My needs are now different. I already bought the van to tow it, now just need to figure out which TT fits my needs. Might be Northwood, might be something else. Northwood is about as good as it gets in "conventional" towable RVs, but may be thinking unconventional.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B