cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2012 Canyon 4x4 Trip report

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
This summer, wife and I made the trip to Homer Alaska and back in a 3 year old 30 foot class a gas, about 11000 miles. Toad we bought for the trip after a lot of research is a 2012 Canyon 4x4. Toad extremely well, some highlights below.
Toad wheel base was significantly narrower than motor home and tracked behind motor home well. Able to use full turning radius, eliminating several traps that would have caused disconnection to complete turn. Usefullness was highlited by driving right on to the Haines/Skagway ferry with a hard right and full u turn in the ship.
Next two vehicles, a 45 foot class a, and a large fifth wheel/pu required extensive back and forward with some paint scrapeing.
Toad is light at 4100 lbs, pulled up mountains well, and stopped well without aid of assistive breaking systems. At two quick change redlites on the trip deceleration was enough to dislodge several items in the coach that were on counters using friction mounts.
Pickup bed was well utilized to carry spare rv tire and mobility scooter.
Door access is long enough and at right height for easy access
Hookup time to Rv was a couple minutes for the towbar pins 2, saftey chains 2 and lite harness 1. And about 30 seconds to put the transfer case in neutral, pull the key and release the brake. Did not have to worry about battery rundown since steering is unlocked when the key is removed.
Ground clearance, 4 wheel drive and horsepower allowed for an excellent day of offroading in the Moab area. Went on both the Gemini and Long canyon trails and did a great job of keeping up with the 4 wheelers and jeeps.

Came back without a single identified shortcoming or fixit item. Trip was a continuous 100 days and we probably disconnected every 2-3 days.
2 REPLIES 2

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I had a blue ox tow bar left from the previous dingy and ordered the blue ox base plate for the 2012 canyon to match. Local car repair service I use installed the plate for 150 dollars. I really do not like to work under vehicles anymore.

pops

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good to hear you're enjoying your new Canyon!

We purchased ours with the expectation to tow it, but have yet to get it set up as we just haven't had the need.

Looking at the various towbar setups - the Roadmaster hitch plates look like the cleanest and best installation option.

Here's a pic of ours setting up at Bone Point Lookout Tower in NE Oregon:

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L