cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Ford Edge as a Toad ?

Texas_Bounder
Explorer
Explorer
After reading the variuos forums on this subject it is now very evident that there are MANY opinions out there on which is better,, tow bar 4 down or dolly. I have decided to go the Tow Bar route. I plan to pull a 2014 Ford Edge. I am a newbie when it comes to a TOAD and am asking for some advice on Brand,equipment,braking system? etc,, for a Ford Edge.

Thanks for your help, Bill :@
TEXAS BOUNDER
'04 Fleetwood Bounder 32W / Workhorse Chassis / 8.1 Vortex
'14 Ford Edge TOAD
Heritage Angler Fishing Kayak 12'
Bill & Jeanne w/ our two 4 legged kids Lucy and Queenie
12 REPLIES 12

Texas_Bounder
Explorer
Explorer
After getting info from this forum and checking the web for some tow bar options for my '14 Edge Im thinking about getting a Brake Buddie system with a Blue OX tow bar. I guess I should consider getting a bar that will tow either the Edge or my old '04 Sierra for when I want to haul my Kayaks with us. any Ideas out there ? Thanks
TEXAS BOUNDER
'14 Ford Edge TOAD

jcandler
Explorer
Explorer
The center pin - on the plug at the coach is or should be hot ( sometimes the coach ignition switch needs to be on

Run a wire from this point to the edge battery - then you will be charging your Ford Edge battery as you go down the road towing

jcandler
Explorer
Explorer
You should run a charge line from your coach to your ford battery

Usually the center post on the plug at your coach is hot - go from here to your battery - then you'll be charging your Ford Edge battery as you are driving

francis young wrote:
I have just started towing my 2014 Ford edge. 3 days towing and 3 dead batteries is the result. I am using a Patriot supplemental braking system plugged into the Edge's cigarette lighter.

I believe I am doing everything the way the Ford and Patriot owners manuals say.

The small display screens on either side of the speedometer do not seem to go out, so that may be the problem. In the owners manual, fuse #11 controls the instrument cluster so that may be the problem. Will remove that fuse before I tow again in 2 days.

I have extra bulbs for taillight and brake lights installed in the taillight lenses and these are powered from the motorhome. I may also remove the fuse that controls the factory brake lighs since these are not needed. I will do this in case the Patriot brake is not releasing the pedal after braking and thus activating the factory brake lights.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
jcandler wrote:
I have a 2014 Ford Edge - front wheel drive
We had a blue ox tow assembly installed
We had the Air Force one brake system installed

We did this last month & have only towed it 15 miles so far

In April we will start our summer trip - about 8,000 miles

I was wondering - towing in the accessories position, will the miles rack up on the odometer-

No they won't. I think when we didn't put the 10 Edge key all the way back into accessory it would. One of our cars did anyway.

jcandler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 Ford Edge - front wheel drive
We had a blue ox tow assembly installed
We had the Air Force one brake system installed

We did this last month & have only towed it 15 miles so far

In April we will start our summer trip - about 8,000 miles

I was wondering - towing in the accessories position, will the miles rack up on the odometer-

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
francis young wrote:
I have just started towing my 2014 Ford edge. 3 days towing and 3 dead batteries is the result. I am using a Patriot supplemental braking system plugged into the Edge's cigarette lighter.

I believe I am doing everything the way the Ford and Patriot owners manuals say.

The small display screens on either side of the speedometer do not seem to go out, so that may be the problem. In the owners manual, fuse #11 controls the instrument cluster so that may be the problem. Will remove that fuse before I tow again in 2 days.

I have extra bulbs for taillight and brake lights installed in the taillight lenses and these are powered from the motorhome. I may also remove the fuse that controls the factory brake lighs since these are not needed. I will do this in case the Patriot brake is not releasing the pedal after braking and thus activating the factory brake lights.

When you hit the ignition switch to place it in accessory mode are you putting your foot on the brake too. Don't
We have a power wire from coach that powers tail lights and brakes and side marker lights.
I don't think the headlights are in the circuit but I turn them off too.
We did run down the battery a few times in the 10 Edge by not turning the key fully back. Not a problem with the push button switch.
I don't know if your electric brake actuator would use that much juice.
We use air brakes from Roadmaster and hitch.

francis_young
Explorer
Explorer

Shorty Young

Texas_Bounder
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for everyones help ! I found a lot of really good info here. I will let you know what set up I go with for my 2014 Edge (4 dwn.)

Thanks Again, Great Forum !

Bill

Midlothian Texas
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W / Workhorse 8.1 Vortec
2014 Ford Edge Toad
TEXAS BOUNDER
'14 Ford Edge TOAD

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2007 Ford Edge too! I have a gas engine, and use vacuum from the engine to power my braking system. It is about $35 in junkyard parts, a old cruise control motor, vacuum relay, and some check valves. I had to buy a 50' air hose, and quick disconnect fittings for a air hose.

I have all wheel drive, so I can not tow it on a dolly, it must be flat towed. FWD cars can be towed on a dolly.

I used a kit of diodes to run the factory running lights from the motorhome, so when the left or right turn signals are on, they turn on the same side brake lights. I removed the lens, found the factory wire to the brake lamp, cut it, confirmed it was not the running light, and then put in the diode kit. It has two inputs (RV and car) and one output (the wire you cut). So all I have to do is hook up a 7 wire harness from the RV to the car, and I am ready to tow.

I have +12 from my brake pedal to the vacuum solenoid in the car, that applies vacuum to the cruise control motor, and it pulls a cable, that pulls the brake pedal to the floor. Works great, and I used the same system on my 1999 Honda CRV. Going down a mountain, I tested it once, and basically 'rode the brakes' by softly applying the motorhome brakes, just enough to activate the brake lights, and turn on the Edge braking system. When I got to the rest area at the bottom of the mountain, the brake pads where not 'excessive hot' - so the braking system is working without pulling to hard.

I used a 3" diameter CC motor from a junkyard Nissan car. It was not so large that there might be to much pull, and small enough to fit under the dash of my car.

I have had a Roadmaster tow bar mounted to my RV since the motorhome was new in 1997. I have towed a Manx dune buggy, Honda CRV, and now the Ford Edge with it. Most of the weight stays on the RV, and it hooks up in about 30 seconds. You do not need to have the car centered behind the RV, as the arms are 18" long collapsed, and about 36" long extended.

I hook up the arms, and push the car backwards until one bar locks (sometimes I get luck and both might lock) and then release the parking brake. Make the car ready to tow (having started the engine, put it in drive, then neutral, then shut off the engine (having let it warm the transmission fluid for at least 3 minutes and charge the battery too). In my 2007, the key stays in the car, and I can use the other key remote to lock the car, I have a steering wheel lock. I have heard that 2009 and later have no steering wheel lock, and use a computer security system, so without the key, you can not drive it. I don't know if you would need to leave the key in the later models, check your owners manual. As I pull forward, the car will pull against the unlocked arm, extend it fully, and they will both be locked! Sometimes I apply the brake to make sure it locks, say if going down a hill when hitching up.

When towing, no miles show up on the odometer!

Every 2-3 hours, I run the engine for a little bit, to lube the transmission, make sure that the battery stays charged. I have never had a dead battery (except the time I left my GPS display on over a 3 day weekend).

RoadmasterInc.com

I also have a 'tow shield' to protect my car from rocks that might be kicked up by the rear wheels. Roadmaster now has a improved tow guard, I have not tried it, but it is a skirt to provide even more protection. It looks a little more difficult to install, so I will probably stick with the tow guard.. .

Have fun camping and sightseeing! The Edge makes a very comfortable car to drive and tow!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
These posts contain Ford and Edge.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rav
Explorer
Explorer
we have the blue ox and brake buddy and are really happy with it. I got a great deal on both of them used- do some research and shop the "other" rv forums that allow classifieds and craigs list - there are some really good deals on the used equipment.
we went with a roadmaster base plate because my hitch guy said it was less labor and easier to install- we just purchased adapters for the blue ox to roadmaster.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Ready Brake System
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog